Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with OS X Sierra and ColorMunki 1.2.2  (Read 6015 times)

Mike Raub

Problems with OS X Sierra and ColorMunki 1.2.2
« on: February 04, 2017, 08:50:43 pm »

I just tried to profile a 4 year-old 27" iMac with the new software. The puck went through the calibration routine OK and then the program started the test colors. I then got a box asking me to save the new monitor profile, which I did. My entire screen immediately turned light grey--solid grey with no icons, desktop picture or mouse pointer. Not much you can do with that. I restarted the computer and at the end I had the same featureless grey screen before me. I rebooted into recovery mode and am loading a Time Machine backup made just before I downloaded this cruddy piece of software. Hopefully the backup will restore my previous monitor profile.

This is not the first set of problems I have had with the Color Munki software. Prior versions sometimes created a profile with garish psychedelic colors. Maybe it is a hardware problem, but the software doesn't report any problems when calibrating the puck. The Color Munki is getting close to making it into my electronics junk recycling box.

elolaugesen

Re: Problems with OS X Sierra and ColorMunki 1.2.2
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 07:49:04 am »

xrite came out with a new version of software in late september 2016...    are you up to date?Downloads
Software
ColorMunki Display v1.1.2 Download
ColorMunki Display v1.1.3 Download
ColorMunki Display - Windows Download
ColorMunki Display - MAC Download
X-Rite Device Services - PC and Mac v2.4.0 Download

Mike Raub

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 01:12:37 pm »

The 1.2.2 software was released last month. It included new software and an update to the hardware drivers.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 05:14:24 pm »

This may not be related, but when I installed the 1.2.1 updated it started producing inaccurate profiles.

On X-Rite’s Technical Support’s advice I had to remove a large number of old files which the installer had failed to remove.  This fixed the problem.

Could this be a similar issue ?
Take a look here for more:
ColorMunki / Photo – Monitor Profiles Too Dark on a Mac

It has to be said that X–Rite’s attitude to its software really leaves a lot to be desired.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 05:40:46 pm »

Some research on the ‘grey screen at start-up’ suggests that there may be a problematic ‘peripheral’ attached to the Mac (and I recollect I had his with a Thunderbolt dock I have – now fixed).

Here are some things I would try.  Start the Mac up without the ColorMunki attached to it.  If it starts up OK plug-in the ColorMunki – does the ColorMunki now work OK ?  Try re-starting with the ColorMunki plugged in.  Still a problem or has the software sorted itself out ?

I would also run the Apple Disk Utility and a utility which repairs Permissions, such as Cocktail; in case the installation has messed things up.

Contact X–Rite Technical Support.  The European Support is mostly quite good.  Definitely tell them there is a problem as this helps all of us.

Good luck !

ralph257

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 11:13:42 pm »

After running ColorMunki Photo 1.2.2 on sierra
the profile created gave weird magenta cast on screen Apple cinema 30 lcd
Deleted profiles
but am now at a loss $500.00
Are files existing from updates that need to be manually deleted ?

picman

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 08:34:27 am »

Could try driving the Colormunki sensor with Argyll.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 11:48:34 am »

After running ColorMunki Photo 1.2.2 on sierra
the profile created gave weird magenta cast on screen Apple cinema 30 lcd
Deleted profiles
but am now at a loss $500.00
Are files existing from updates that need to be manually deleted ?

Ralph, if you've updated the ColorMunki software from a previous version you will need to delete the files as detailed on my link above.

However, the magenta cast sounds like something different from the symptoms I experienced.  A good place to start would be with X-Rite’s technical support.

ralph257

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 09:43:56 pm »

Ralph, if you've updated the ColorMunki software from a previous version you will need to delete the files as detailed on my link above.

However, the magenta cast sounds like something different from the symptoms I experienced.  A good place to start would be with X-Rite’s technical support.

I had been through many months of tech support with x-rite
to no avail many crash reports blah blah blah
I finally fixed the prob by back up total wipe and system reinstall
reinstalled Colormunki
Voila software worked
Ran software 1.2.2 on the monitor create the profile D65 120cd/m Screen goes total Orange
I had to log into the machine from another machine in order to delete the profile Man O man
what gives with X-rite?

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 08:09:23 am »

I had been through many months of tech support with x-rite
to no avail many crash reports blah blah blah
I finally fixed the prob by back up total wipe and system reinstall
reinstalled Colormunki
Voila software worked
Ran software 1.2.2 on the monitor create the profile D65 120cd/m Screen goes total Orange
I had to log into the machine from another machine in order to delete the profile Man O man
what gives with X-rite?

Ralph, I’m very sorry to hear about all your difficulties.  Having myself been through something similar with X–Rite I can sympathise.

I’m not sure what to suggest but with most of these kinds of problems it is a case of eliminating one possible cause at a time until you finally identify what it is that is responsible.

Have your tried using the previous version of the ColorMunki software, 1.2.1 ?  Are you able to try version 1.2.2 on a machine with El Capitan installed ?  If the former works this would indicate it is version 1.2.2 that is the problem.  If the latter works this would indicate that it is either Sierra or something else on your machine that might be interfering with the profiling.  Have you tried profiling with a clean install of Sierra, without restoring the back-up first ?

I hope these suggestions might prove helpful.  Good luck !

sgrenald

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 06:47:02 pm »

I just tried to profile a 4 year-old 27" iMac with the new software. The puck went through the calibration routine OK and then the program started the test colors. I then got a box asking me to save the new monitor profile, which I did. My entire screen immediately turned light grey--solid grey with no icons, desktop picture or mouse pointer. Not much you can do with that. I restarted the computer and at the end I had the same featureless grey screen before me. I rebooted into recovery mode and am loading a Time Machine backup made just before I downloaded this cruddy piece of software. Hopefully the backup will restore my previous monitor profile.

This is not the first set of problems I have had with the Color Munki software. Prior versions sometimes created a profile with garish psychedelic colors. Maybe it is a hardware problem, but the software doesn't report any problems when calibrating the puck. The Color Munki is getting close to making it into my electronics junk recycling box.

I'm having the exact same problem. Just got a Colormunki Photo. Downloaded the 1.2.1 software. First time I booted it, it asked to update to 1.2.2, which I did. Ran through the whole calibration routine on my 2011 Macbook Air, and when it asked me to save the profile, the screen went blank gray. Now, if I reboot in a different user account, it works fine, and if I boot in Safe Mode, it works fine...until I go to the settings and click on Displays and then Color. Then it goes grey again.

Any suggestions on how to remove the bad/corrupted calibration file?

sgrenald

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 12:49:51 pm »

Never mind. I figured it out. You boot in Safe Mode, then go to the Library -> Color Sync, and trash the profile. Reboot and everything works.

Wish I knew why the Munki is creating bad profiles like that...

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 05:39:46 am »

It is important to make sure you give details of the operating system and any iterations as this helps to diagnose whether the problem is operating system related.

which version of Mac OSX are you using ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up