Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Location Data Not Importing into Lightroom  (Read 5222 times)

jemsurvey

Location Data Not Importing into Lightroom
« on: February 04, 2017, 05:03:18 pm »

Hello all,

I've been importing images from my iPhone into Lightroom and the GPS location data is not importing with it.  I checked and the data is there with the photos when I check on my MacBook with Get Info.  Any thoughts as to why and is there a setting I need to check for?

Thanks for the help,
John Marrocco
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 05:33:37 pm by jemsurvey »

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
Re: Location Data Not Importing into Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 07:00:46 pm »

Well, if you're checking a different set of photos on the Macbook..  Then one possibility could be an import metadata preset with the location info checked but blank.  Or even if they're the same photos, but you never do a 'save metadata to files' (either manual or auto) - that could be the case as well.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 07:04:55 pm by Hoggy »
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

jemsurvey

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 07:15:40 pm »

Thanks, I do have the location info checked for import.  It does come up if I go up under the Metadata menu and choose Read Metadata from file but I would have thought this would not be necessary to do with each photo and it should already be entered upon import.

Hoggy

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 07:24:15 pm »

Metadata presets are always for applying data to photos..  They aren't for choosing which metadata to import.  So if you have a metadata preset with the location info checked, but left blank - it will blank out the location data on every imported photo (or selected photos, if used in the metadata panel after import).  The same goes for all other fields, too.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 07:29:34 pm by Hoggy »

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 08:50:08 pm »

Hi John, Hoggy might be onto something here.
Can you confirm if you are applying a metadata preset on import?

Tony Jay

jemsurvey

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 10:04:17 am »

Yes, I have a metadata preset applied during import.  The camera info and GPS are checked, but nothing typed in to the boxes.  I understand what Hoggy is saying about nothing being imported if nothing is typed in, but as GPS data will be different for each photo, how then do you enter this info ahead of import?  I have assumed, possibly incorrectly, that something like GPS data would be applied.  So maybe I'm confused about how this actually works.

John

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 10:20:28 am »

Yes, I have a metadata preset applied during import.  The camera info and GPS are checked, but nothing typed in to the boxes.  I understand what Hoggy is saying about nothing being imported if nothing is typed in, but as GPS data will be different for each photo, how then do you enter this info ahead of import?  I have assumed, possibly incorrectly, that something like GPS data would be applied.  So maybe I'm confused about how this actually works.

The GPS should be recorded by the camera in its EXIF data. But your metadata template is blanking that information. So edit the template, and check only those fields which you do want to update, then save it.

jemsurvey

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 01:18:50 pm »

Thank you,
I have done this with checking off the fields I want to update and choosing the template on import, but after import I still have to go to the Metadata menu and choose Read Metadata to File for the GPS data to show up. Its not a problem if its supposed to work this way.  Unless I'm still doing something wrong....but I don't believe so.
I appreciate the help.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 02:31:28 pm »

With photos already in Lr, you would need Read Metadata From File to bring in those GPS details. With new images, you won't need to do this - unless there is still a problem with the metadata template you are applying in the import dialog. So make sure you have saved the updated metadata template.

One other detail is where are you looking for the GPS when files have arrived in Lightroom. There are two GPS fields - one is the EXIF field which is automatically written by the camera and is protected, while the other is an IPTC field which you can use to manually enter GPS details. The latter starts off blank, but maybe you are looking at it, not the EXIF field?

If you have Lightroom CC, you can use Lightroom Mobile to automatically import iPhone pictures, and it does preserve the GPS data.

John

Tony Jay

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 04:03:25 pm »

The GPS should be recorded by the camera in its EXIF data. But your metadata template is blanking that information. So edit the template, and check only those fields which you do want to update, then save it.
Yes, this is the issue!

jemsurvey

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 04:27:01 pm »

Ok, well I have it sorted out now.  But what I had to do was in my Metadata Preset I had to uncheck the Camera Info section where the GPS info is located. I guess this allowed it to show as opposed to being blanked out.  So its working opposite to what I would have thought.

Thanks all for the help.
John

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 05:11:10 pm »

As I said before "check only those fields which you do want to update"

John

jemsurvey

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2017, 05:31:34 pm »

John, that is what you said, however my interpretation of it was opposite to what was meant.  My brain fail for sure.....

Hoggy

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2017, 06:16:37 pm »

however my interpretation of it was opposite to what was meant.

Yup, that's what was going on..  Your understanding of what metadata presets do is opposite of what you thought.
The fields you check in a metadata preset are what gets applied to the metadata.  They don't determine which fields are supposed to be read from the files.  So the only fields you should check in a preset are the ones that you want to change with the info you enter - or if you check one and leave it blank, it will blank out that field.

jemsurvey

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2017, 06:28:27 pm »

Makes perfect sense to me now!!!!  ::)

Hoggy

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 06:55:37 pm »

There are two GPS fields - one is the EXIF field which is automatically written by the camera and is protected, while the other is an IPTC field which you can use to manually enter GPS details. The latter starts off blank, but maybe you are looking at it, not the EXIF field?

Oh wow..  I wasn't aware of that.
I have 3 cameras that record gps from the camera - the Canon S100, and my 2 pentax's with the O-GPS module.

However, it seems like LR may only ever show the EXIF version..  Shown under the EXIF heading.
But at least in LR, all 3 EXIF fields are editable: GPS, Altitude, and Direction.  They're not protected.

Unless, for the IPTC - are you referring to the 'location', 'city', 'state', etc??

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 03:28:40 am »

John, that is what you said, however my interpretation of it was opposite to what was meant.  My brain fail for sure.....

OK, I can't help you with that ;)

@hoggy, I meant GPS coordinates, not the other fields. Save the metadata back to the files and examine the XMP.

John

mlewis

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 03:48:48 am »

Oh wow..  I wasn't aware of that.
I have 3 cameras that record gps from the camera - the Canon S100, and my 2 pentax's with the O-GPS module.

However, it seems like LR may only ever show the EXIF version..  Shown under the EXIF heading.
But at least in LR, all 3 EXIF fields are editable: GPS, Altitude, and Direction.  They're not protected.

Unless, for the IPTC - are you referring to the 'location', 'city', 'state', etc??
The two GPS locations are actually one in the EXIF area and one in the XMP area.  LR will only edit the one in the XMP area and will display that preferentially over the EXIF GPS fields.
Pages: [1]   Go Up