Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: White balance on HDV Adobe Premiere 2.0  (Read 11353 times)

Raw shooter

White balance on HDV Adobe Premiere 2.0
« on: July 24, 2006, 10:30:41 pm »

Wondering what the longtimers use to nuetralize the hues on captured footage - with ambient and uncontrolled indoor lighting.
I have been experimenting with the 2 tools in Adobe Premiere.  I even have a GretagMacbeth ColorChecker Color Rendition Chart at the beginning of the clips to have the white. grey and black for sampling.
Any help to simplify my understanding of this problem would be appreciated.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 12:36:19 am »

Rule one when shooting: Turn off automatic WB and set it to the Daylight or Tungsten preset which ever is appropriate for the shoot. The last thing you want is WB drift within a scene - I have been caught by that more times than I care to admit! Or better yet, you can set a custom WB on a fullframe of the card (you just have to remember to do it on every setup - that's why I simply use the presets).
Rule two: when in doubt and always if you need  to balance two cameras or two different lighting setups, shoot the gray card - that way you now what neutral is (I use a WhiBal card)

I am not a Premiere user any more but in Final Cut with the 3 way colour correction filter, I simply bring up the gray card scene and 'touch' the image of the WhiBal card with the whte balance tool - that's all there is to it. Copy and paste that filter/setting to all appropriate scenes in the timeline.

CS

Raw shooter

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 10:38:51 am »

Thanks Chris,
Yes, I did find the WB preset.  I also noticed how the tint shifted in my prior shoots.
This sounds like a giant step forward.
Also, if you don't mind, the name of the card you use to set a custom white balance. I would rather not custom WB if it is not really necessary. Do you custom WB?
I have lots more experience with digital photography and flourescent light is a killer with digital still photography - is this also true with digital video.  I am using a JVC GR-HD1.
I do appreciate any help. Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up