Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon: multi-priority programming?  (Read 1938 times)

Gregory

• http://www.gregory.hk
Canon: multi-priority programming?
« on: July 24, 2006, 01:55:01 pm »

with all the digital advancements we now have, it should be possible for DSLR cameras to have the following programmable option:

Multi-Priority

Priority 1 -- Aperture = 4.0
Priority 2 -- Shutter >= 1/200
Priority 3 -- ASA >= 100

obviously, priorities 1 + 2 are equivalent to the traditional Aperture-Priority mode. the difference is priority 3 which adds a whole new twist, and much more flexibility.

=> always maintain an aperture of 4.0
=> adjust the shutter speed as appropriate down to a minimum of 1/200.
=> if the available light does not permit f4 and 1/200, then increase the film speed.
=> when the camera's maximum ASA has been reached, only then will the camera reduce the shutter speed below 1/200.

it might even be possible to specify:

Priority 1 -- Aperture = 4.0
Priority 2 -- Shutter >= 1/200
Priority 3 -- ASA 100...800

thereby specifying a range for each priority.

does anyone know if this is possible on any of the current Canon digital cameras? if not, has anyone rumoured about such an advancement in upcoming cameras?

as it stands, I have to continually monitor the shutter speed in my viewfinder while photographing birds to make sure that the speed doesn't fall too low, and manually adjust the ASA if necessary. however, I usually don't get time to make the adjustment before the subject flies away, or I totally forget to check and become very disappointed when I review the photos on the computer and discover the unacceptable subject blur. automatic ASA adjustment would be a God-send.

regards,
Gregory
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 01:59:14 pm by Gregory »
Gregory's Blog: [url=http://www.gregory.

matt4626

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 03:40:37 pm »

I think a 20D or 30D in jpeg. action preset comes about as close as you can get. Presets - I'm talking about those cute little icon of flowers, runners etc.

John Sheehy

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 10:41:42 pm »

There are any number of ways to do something like this, by somehow I think Canon isn't really interested.

My wish has been for user-program modes where you use a software interface on your computer to make a list of apertures, shutter speeds, and ISOs for each real world EV level.  The metered value, offset by your EC setting, would be looked up and the values used.  This way, you could opt for a stop of under-exposure, let's say, instead of opening the lens all the way up if the lens you'll be using with that mode is bad wide-open.  You would automate those decisions that you are always making - and probably making the same way all the time.

For zoom lenses, you could make a list for each extreme focal length (when I shoot at night in the city with a wide zoom, I wish for a TV-pri that always maintains at least 1/fl*crop).
Pages: [1]   Go Up