Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended power miter saw for framing  (Read 3934 times)

geezerhood

Recommended power miter saw for framing
« on: February 03, 2017, 11:02:41 am »

I found this link in a search. Based on what I read there I am leaning towards a Dewalt 10" as mentioned in the thread. However that thread is 8 years old and I cannot find the models listed.  I am interested in any experience you good folks may have had with the current production Dewalt or some other power miter saw that produces consistent cuts for gap free frame joints.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=22750

I will be cutting a few aluminum frame lengths also. A recommended blade for that would be appreciated.

donbga

Re: Recommended power miter saw for framing
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 12:38:10 pm »

I found this link in a search. Based on what I read there I am leaning towards a Dewalt 10" as mentioned in the thread. However that thread is 8 years old and I cannot find the models listed.  I am interested in any experience you good folks may have had with the current production Dewalt or some other power miter saw that produces consistent cuts for gap free frame joints.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=22750

I will be cutting a few aluminum frame lengths also. A recommended blade for that would be appreciated.

Any of the current pro quality Dewalt electric miter saws should do. Be sure to purchase a great high quality blade, one with a thin kerf. A blade stiffener will also benefit precise cuts. Do research on the different blades available and be prepared to spend in excess of $100 for the blade.

Cutting metal is a different beast. A high quality diamond embedded blade will be your best choice and that won't be inexpensive.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 06:15:16 pm »

In my opinion, none.
I use a guillotine. No dust and no noise. Cutting metal though I don't do.
Picture framing is a whole art in itself. It is not a case of I saw a guy do it once.
Also you are dealing with 3m lengths of timber and a little bench saw is not designed for it. The hardest part is getting the size right and all commercial machines have scales along them. You have to be accurate to the millimetre.

I suggest you just buy the lengths precut from a framer who offers a "chop" service. Then you only have to worry about joining them.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

donbga

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 08:08:01 pm »

I suggest you just buy the lengths precut from a framer who offers a "chop" service. Then you only have to worry about joining them.

You mean something like this?

Custom Framing

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 09:06:07 pm »

You mean something like this?

Custom Framing
Well, yes, but not on that link. That is for photographers who want to include customs framing on their website.
Try this one
http://aspirationimages.com/framing/service_type.php?service_type=chop
I am in Australia though.

geezerhood

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 11:44:11 am »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  A guillotine is not an option at this time, though I would love to own one.  Buying pre-cut lengths also isn't an option. I need to be able to cut to length myself in house. So, it will be either a power miter saw or a Nobex. Most likely I would be happy with either one though the power miter is needed regardless to replace my aging one so it is the most logical choice.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 08:36:01 pm »

So, it will be either a power miter saw or a Nobex. Most likely I would be happy with either one though the power miter is needed regardless to replace my aging one so it is the most logical choice.
If you need a power mitre anyway then buy one. I did also. However the first time you go to make a frame you will realise why you need a proper moulding cutter.

donbga

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 09:51:21 pm »

If you need a power mitre anyway then buy one. I did also. However the first time you go to make a frame you will realise why you need a proper moulding cutter.

I've chopped quite a few frames made from frame stock purchased from a discount picture frame warehouse here in Atlanta. It ain't rocket science. Having said that one won't have the nifty corner notches to insert joint biscuits or splines that chop shops can make. However there are solutions for that too.

If one has the time precise frames can be made. On the other hand I've sourced really cheap plastic frames from the internet when I've needed to save money and time.

One of the best workshops I've ever taken was a framing and matting workshop given at a local community center. For $30 it was money well spent.

Lastly search youtube for very informative videos. The techniques shown will save you time and money.

But having said all of that try finding a chop shop that can serve your needs, you might save time, money, frustration and maybe your fingers! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up