Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just How Compact is the Hasselblad X1D?  (Read 6490 times)

hubell

Just How Compact is the Hasselblad X1D?
« on: February 01, 2017, 11:07:34 pm »

I am simply astonished at just how compact the X1D and a complement of lenses turns out to be. I have a Lowepro Transit Sling 250AW that I have used for a Sony A7RII and four lenses. The bag itself is VERY small and light weight. It turns out that it also comfortably holds an X1D with a 30mm lens attached and the XCD 45mm and 90mm lenses, with room for a fourth XCD lens. And that's with the lens hoods mounted on the lenses. Total weight of camera body and three lenses=5.13 pounds. Lowepro 250AW weight=1.76 pounds. Total weight= 6.89 pounds.

voidshatter

Re: Just How Compact is the Hasselblad X1D?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 11:58:25 pm »

30mm f/3.5 for 44x33 = 24mm f/2.8 for 35mm format

45mm f/3.5 for 44x33 = 35mm f/2.8 for 35mm format

90mm f/3.2 for 44x33 = 71mm f/2.5 for 35mm format

The lens choices for the A7R-II could be Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2.0, Sony Zeiss FE 35mm f/2.8 and Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8. These three lenses along with the A7R-II body would make a kit totaling 1532 g (or 3.38 lbs). Still 33% lighter than the Hasselblad X1D system.

Though I understand that the X1D may get sharper images, but it is also valid to claim that under low light conditions the A7R-II system can capture more details, thanks to both faster apertures and IBIS.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 12:04:44 am by voidshatter »

chrismuc

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 05:30:27 am »

I am also looking forward the new 44x33mm cams (due to GAS ... me more the Fuji), but the Sony A7RII with the Zeiss Loxia 21f2.8, Sony Zeiss FE 35f2.8 (... waiting for a Batis 35f2 ;-), Sony Zeiss FE 55f1.8 and Zeiss Batis 85f1.8 (or similar collection) is an extremely small, lightweight set-up with two fast lenses and a hard to beat IQ at any ISO.

Bo_Dez

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 05:53:53 am »

I am very interested in the new 33x44 cams too. But I think the A7r2 will be quite close and given there is an a7r3 out soon I am very interested to see how things turn out and compare. My initial urge to buy one straight away is tough to hold back but there is just so much going on with Nikon D810 successor too. Very interesting times to be buying cameras.

Bo_Dez

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 06:01:32 am »

30mm f/3.5 for 44x33 = 24mm f/2.8 for 35mm format

45mm f/3.5 for 44x33 = 35mm f/2.8 for 35mm format

90mm f/3.2 for 44x33 = 71mm f/2.5 for 35mm format

The lens choices for the A7R-II could be Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2.0, Sony Zeiss FE 35mm f/2.8 and Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8. These three lenses along with the A7R-II body would make a kit totaling 1532 g (or 3.38 lbs). Still 33% lighter than the Hasselblad X1D system.

Though I understand that the X1D may get sharper images, but it is also valid to claim that under low light conditions the A7R-II system can capture more details, thanks to both faster apertures and IBIS.

For me it's no longer just about detail and sharper images though. The high res 135 cameras all have decent enough IQ that is chasing MF - There isn't much difference between an a7r2 and a P45, for example and even a 24MP Leica M is pretty amazing. The thing that the Hasselblad doesn't offer and I doubt will ever offer is fast lenses - that is just something I favour and it's not on offer. A 90mm 3.2 with the equivalency in 35 terms of a  71mm f2.5 is not something that interests me that much.

tcdeveau

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 10:29:07 am »

I am also looking forward the new 44x33mm cams (due to GAS ... me more the Fuji), but the Sony A7RII with the Zeiss Loxia 21f2.8, Sony Zeiss FE 35f2.8 (... waiting for a Batis 35f2 ;-), Sony Zeiss FE 55f1.8 and Zeiss Batis 85f1.8 (or similar collection) is an extremely small, lightweight set-up with two fast lenses and a hard to beat IQ at any ISO.

do you mind me asking what bag that is?

hubell

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 11:01:52 am »

My post was not intended to elicit an argument about the relative merits of the X1D v. the Sony A7RII. I wanted to show those who may be interested in an X1D just how ridiculously compact and portable an X1D and a complement of 4 lenses can be. For me, as someone who has hiked with 35 lbs. of Pentax 67 gear and later a Hasselblad H2/Phase One back with a complement of HC lenses, the X1D IS a game changer.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 11:43:16 am »

My post was not intended to elicit an argument about the relative merits of the X1D v. the Sony A7RII. I wanted to show those who may be interested in an X1D just how ridiculously compact and portable an X1D and a complement of 4 lenses can be. For me, as someone who has hiked with 35 lbs. of Pentax 67 gear and later a Hasselblad H2/Phase One back with a complement of HC lenses, the X1D IS a game changer.

Good luck with that Howard. That's like me posting on ESPN that game time temperatures for Super Bowl Sunday will be an amazingly balmy 72 degrees and not expecting anyone to take any sides between the Falcons and the Patriots.

;)

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

hubell

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 11:54:44 am »

I tried, Steve! The irony is that the camera bag that I photographed with the X1D and lenses has been used by me to carry.....a Sony A7RII and four lenses.
One thing I don't like about the X1D is that I could not buy it from Steve Hendrix.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 12:44:22 pm »

I discussed the compactness of the X1D in the video with my review on this site. For a landscape shooter hiking into the wilderness this system with 3 lenses is amazingly light and compact.  I put the X1D into an insert for the Fstop bag and had a plenty of room for other stuff.   Can't wait to try the X1D in the woods.  I must say I am looking forward too to trying the other offerings coming our way.  Plenty of choices these days.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

hubell

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 03:22:54 pm »

I discussed the compactness of the X1D in the video with my review on this site. For a landscape shooter hiking into the wilderness this system with 3 lenses is amazingly light and compact.  I put the X1D into an insert for the Fstop bag and had a plenty of room for other stuff.   Can't wait to try the X1D in the woods.  I must say I am looking forward too to trying the other offerings coming our way.  Plenty of choices these days.

"Other offerings"? Plural? This seems to be a hint that something in addition to the Fuji GFX is coming. Please share what you know.

fotagf8

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 07:37:46 pm »

The Sony medium format rumors are heating up.  I ran across something in the last day or two, but don't recall where.  Not too big of a leap.  If you make the sensor others are using, you might as well make a camera that uses it.

hogloff

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 09:24:37 pm »

The Sony medium format rumors are heating up.  I ran across something in the last day or two, but don't recall where.  Not too big of a leap.  If you make the sensor others are using, you might as well make a camera that uses it.

Don't forget the lenses. Sony is still trying to fill out its crop and full frame lens lineup.

chrismuc

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 12:57:19 am »

do you mind me asking what bag that is?

LowePro Inverse 200 belt and shoulder bag, top load
really excellent for a four lens mirrorless set

voidshatter

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 02:48:36 am »

I am very interested in the new 33x44 cams too. But I think the A7r2 will be quite close and given there is an a7r3 out soon I am very interested to see how things turn out and compare. My initial urge to buy one straight away is tough to hold back but there is just so much going on with Nikon D810 successor too. Very interesting times to be buying cameras.

For me it's no longer just about detail and sharper images though. The high res 135 cameras all have decent enough IQ that is chasing MF - There isn't much difference between an a7r2 and a P45, for example and even a 24MP Leica M is pretty amazing. The thing that the Hasselblad doesn't offer and I doubt will ever offer is fast lenses - that is just something I favour and it's not on offer. A 90mm 3.2 with the equivalency in 35 terms of a  71mm f2.5 is not something that interests me that much.

Agreed. It's rumored that a Nikon D850 is on the way. The release of an A7R-III may be imminent, given that Sony's doing a better job preventing rumors from leaking upcoming announcements. It would be interesting to see a new 35mm format sensor from Sony in the 50-80MP range to be used in the D850 and/or A7R-III.

The weakness of these smaller-than-6x7 "medium" format systems would be the lack of fast lenses - weak bokehliciousness (weak degree of subject separation from background) and weak low light performance limit their use to shootings such like portrait where flash may be important, or landscape where tilt/shift may be desired.

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 09:33:10 am »

Agreed. It's rumored that a Nikon D850 is on the way. The release of an A7R-III may be imminent, given that Sony's doing a better job preventing rumors from leaking upcoming announcements. It would be interesting to see a new 35mm format sensor from Sony in the 50-80MP range to be used in the D850 and/or A7R-III.

The weakness of these smaller-than-6x7 "medium" format systems would be the lack of fast lenses - weak bokehliciousness (weak degree of subject separation from background) and weak low light performance limit their use to shootings such like portrait where flash may be important, or landscape where tilt/shift may be desired.

That may be the case for some, but certainly not all photographers. My own medium format, 120 'blads only went to f2.8 on the 80mm lens; it was probaby never used that wide open: not its domain. My 150mm was an f4 and was perhaps mostly used at around f8 and smaller... You have to remember that this fascination with shooting wide-open portraits is mainly a modern, amateur one, not a professional one. Any hairdresser clients of mine would have been less than thrilled to have been expected to pay for portraits/headshots where only the eyes were crisp.

Horses for courses, and all generalizations fall apart.

Rob C

hogloff

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 09:39:37 am »

That may be the case for some, but certainly not all photographers. My own medium format, 120 'blads only went to f2.8 on the 80mm lens; it was probaby never used that wide open: not its domain. My 150mm was an f4 and was perhaps mostly used at around f8 and smaller... You have to remember that this fascination with shooting wide-open portraits is mainly a modern, amateur one, not a professional one. Any hairdresser clients of mine would have been less than thrilled to have been expected to pay for portraits/headshots where only the eyes were crisp.

Horses for courses, and all generalizations fall apart.

Rob C

There was no generalization and you just reenforced his post. He said the lack of fast glass limits the use of these MiniMF cameras which you even stated by saying it's not their domain, exactly what being limited implies.

You don't necessarily use fast glass for subject isolation...sometimes it's used in dim locations where these miniMF systems will struggle. The combination of image stabilization and fast glass really expands one's shooting situations.

Ymmv.

voidshatter

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 08:30:59 pm »

Just saw a size comparison somewhere else (Not sure whether these are scaled correctly though)  ;D

Joe Towner

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 09:27:45 pm »

Just saw a size comparison somewhere else (Not sure whether these are scaled correctly though)  ;D

Reference the hot shoe size - that should be the standard between them all.

The 645Z is a bit bigger than pictured.
t: @PNWMF

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 11:16:25 pm »

That is a fantastic pic. The hot shoes are similar so it appears to be a comparison photo.
You should post that in the X1D vs Fuji post.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up