Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: US House Moves to Encourage Drilling in National Parks  (Read 8672 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: US House Moves to Encourage Drilling in National Parks
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2017, 08:42:07 am »

If there's a need for a product,  someone will invent it. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2017, 08:43:56 am »

You don't need the government to offer incentives at my expense.   Let the customer pay for it.   

jeremyrh

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2017, 12:29:42 pm »

Uh, because it'll make the planet a better place?
You snipped the context of my comment, which made it clear that I am saying exactly the same thing. My point was that an individual is unlikely to spend his own money for the good of someone else's kids (especially if that someone else has declined to do so). This is properly the role of government.

jeremyrh

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2017, 12:32:35 pm »

You don't need the government to offer incentives at my expense.   Let the customer pay for it.
Naive viewpoint. How do you pay for the fire brigade? - wait till your house is on fire and then haggle over a price?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2017, 02:42:44 pm »

I was referring to tax incentives to get you to buy something like an electric car from Tesla.

graeme

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2017, 04:03:32 pm »

If there's a need for a product,  someone will invent it.

If there's the possibility of selling a product someone will invent it: That's why so many of the planets resources ( & so much human effort ) gets poured into the production of bloody stupid things: One of my idiot nieces ( I have a few ) asked her mother for a rose gold bluetooth enabled electric toothbrush costing 200 quid for Xmas. Thankfully her mother told her where to get off.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2017, 04:35:06 pm »

I was referring to tax incentives to get you to buy something like an electric car from Tesla.

Funny you should mention Tesla to support your argument, Alan. May I remind you that Elon Musk can't sell his Tesla straight from the factory directly to individual customers but is required in most states to sell through a middleman car dealership which of course raises its price.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_US_dealership_disputes

Nothing about taxes and doing business is ever straightforward and simplistic especially when there are lawyers required.

Everybody pays to play whether it's through taxation or subsidies.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 04:38:26 pm by Tim Lookingbill »

Farmer

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2017, 04:49:57 pm »

So you're fine with tax credits that you like, just not the ones you don't like?

Is it OK to get tax credits for education?  For having children?  For health insurance?  For saving into a 401(k)?  For adopting a child?  For insulating your home?  Mortgage interest?  I can see 20 credits for individuals in total.  Note that credits for a Tesla only apply to businesses, not individuals.

So looking at the individual credits it seems to me that the government is saying: get educated, have kids, get health insurance, save for retirement, adopt children, make your home more energy efficient, buy a home.  Doesn't seem unreasonable at all.
Phil Brown

capital

• Website
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2017, 07:48:50 pm »

The relevance of the initial post is being diluted by side commentaries.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up