Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Water and light  (Read 741 times)

MattNQ

• My Website
Water and light
« on: February 01, 2017, 07:42:56 am »

Re-acquainting myself with colour seascapes after primarily shooting heaps of sport and a smattering of B&W IR landscapes for the last year.
Realised how inadequate my cheapo wide lens is, but had fun anyway  :)
Playing with water movement  - small waves are a blessing & a curse at times.

Matt

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Re: Water and light
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 03:03:59 pm »

Hi Matt,

I like the scenes shown in your images and the colours and the motion of the waves, and I too have a crappy wide angle lens that I occasionally throw on the camera after blowing the dust off, so I know of what you speak - it's the old Canon 16-35 Mk I, which is famous for its smeary distortion effects around the edge of the frame, as well as its horrible CA and colour fringing. So after leaving it on the shelf untouched for maybe 10 years, I have recently started using it once again but only for mono shots, which instantly takes care of the CA and colour fringing etc and the smearing effect in a black and white image, looks almost acceptably vintage.

Dave

MattNQ

• My Website
Re: Water and light
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 10:47:27 pm »

Hi Matt,

I like the scenes shown in your images and the colours and the motion of the waves, and I too have a crappy wide angle lens that I occasionally throw on the camera after blowing the dust off, so I know of what you speak - it's the old Canon 16-35 Mk I, which is famous for its smeary distortion effects around the edge of the frame, as well as its horrible CA and colour fringing. So after leaving it on the shelf untouched for maybe 10 years, I have recently started using it once again but only for mono shots, which instantly takes care of the CA and colour fringing etc and the smearing effect in a black and white image, looks almost acceptably vintage.

Dave

Thanks Dave.
One day I will upgrade to a quality lens....when the kids leave home, the house is finished, the wife has been holidayed, and I have spare money.....I will probably be about 90 by then......

One good thing about cheap gear is that one isn't quite so nervous when balancing the camera on the little Joby on a wet rock as waves splash around.

sent from Earth via tapatalk

Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up