Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black and White  (Read 7116 times)

donbga

Re: Black and White
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 09:11:39 am »

A B&W only sensor will record more luminance data, compared to a colour sensor. That is the difference.

Whatever LR does with the conversion from colour to B&W (or any other app, for that matter), will be better clarified with the app maker.

Whether it matters, it is a personal decision. In the wisdom words of M.J.:

"I'm aware that most people don't want it, so please, no comments about that. Heard it all before, many times. My opinion, however, and it might be a minority opinion, is that photography isn't about how cameras see, and it isn't about how people see. It's about how people see with cameras. And I'm firmly of the opinion that a crucial step in learning to see with a camera is learning to see "luminances only"—lights and darks and the contrast between the two. And by far the easiest way to do this is to shoot "concertedly"—i.e., a lot, for some extended period of the calendar—with a camera that only records black and white. "

Full article here:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2013/10/the-leica-m-monochrom.html

M.J. as you call him doesn't know squat, he is simply a parrot.

JoachimStrobel

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 01:01:28 am »

In analog times, a BW film gave sharper photos because it only had one layer. The same was true for prints (except Cibachrome, and the advantage was gone using multigrade BW paper). Also the color diffusor would make color prints softer.
On the other hand, chromatic aberration will de-focuse the color world when imaged on a plate. Hence a monochrome sensor will not be sharper than a normal one. Three sensors split by a prisma would be perfect and actually, for the first time in photography, would give BW and Color the same sharpness.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 09:37:32 am »

On the other hand, chromatic aberration will de-focuse the color world when imaged on a plate. Hence a monochrome sensor will not be sharper than a normal one. Three sensors split by a prisma would be perfect and actually, for the first time in photography, would give BW and Color the same sharpness.

Interesting observation. I wish some of the more knowledgeable forum members would weigh in along those lines.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 10:29:26 am »

I have handled a 3CCD professional Sony camera (DXC-3000P) and it was very nice once calibrated, but I don't think it's worth going to that extent anymore with modern sensors. maybe for better color reproduction when you have plenty of light to work with?
Instagram (updated often)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up