Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark's Canon Pro-2000 Review and Related Items  (Read 4768 times)

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Mark's Canon Pro-2000 Review and Related Items
« on: January 31, 2017, 09:58:17 am »

Mark,
Well done as usual, and fascinating results in regards to the perceived blacks on matte media. I must say, the recent advances in either matte paper, printers and/or profiles are very exciting. I say paper/profiles because even on my 8-year old 7900, I have renewed interest in matte paper. My recent prints with the new-ish Legacy papers have been exciting. Either I am doing something I didn't used to do, or the papers are improving.

All I know is, for me 2017 may be the Year of the Matte. I've had MK selected for > 2 months now; that's got to be a record for me. It sounds like the Canon papers/inks are even better, at least perceptually (pun?). I gave a talk recently and urged everyone who doesn't have at least a 13" printer to run out and get one. As we say, it is a wonderful time to be a photographer. But an even more-wonderful time to be a photographer who prints.

Dave

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Mark's Canon Pro-2000 Review and Related Items
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 10:17:37 am »

Hi Dave,

Have you mounted any of the Legacy papers using heat?
I can run them through my roll laminator but the adhesive is so expensive.
Would prefer to use tissue and heat press if they can take the hi temps.
Have not purchased any yet or I would have run the test.

PS: So happy to see your 7900 is still running after 8 years, that's really good.
Just put a new head plus some other things in my 9900 to the tune of $2900.
Fingers crossed to see how that works out
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:26:45 am by Dan Berg »

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 10:27:10 am »

Dan,
Good to hear from you! No I haven't. I've only t-hinged them so far. Lately I've been going one of two paths with my printing: Using my 7900 for anything up to 22x30 and mounting it traditionally in a 32x40 frame, or going to Whitehall for surface mounting on plexiglass. So I don't do any surface mounting myself for the time being.

Dave

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 10:27:30 am »

Hi Dave,

Thanks - glad you enjoyed the article.

On the matte outcomes, I think it is a combination of factors - in particular the designs of the paper surfaces and the reformulation of the inksets, possibly along with the redesign of ink laydown algorithms and the improved construction of the printer chassis (according to Canon this latter factor affecting overall quality on all papers). I particularly liked the results from the Canon Premium Fine Art Smooth paper used in the Pro series printers (haven't tested them in an Epson printer yet); this paper was designed particularly for the Canon Pro printers and inkset. After seeing what the whole put-together produced, I too have started to think more positively about matte printing after years of decided preference for the gloss/luster family due to its superior gamut and DMax. The problem just now is that the sheet packaging (and indeed the rolls) of this particular media are hard to get. I see Adorama has it in the USA, and it may be available from Grand & Toy on-line in Toronto, but that's about all I could find - not even the Canon eStore has it in Canada.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 10:33:10 am »

PS: So happy to see your 7900 is still running after 8 years, that's really good.
Just put a new head plus some other things in my 9900 to the tune of $2900.
Fingers crossed to see how that works out

Yes, I was amazed about a month ago when I looked at my original purchase: December of 2008!! But alas my fingers and toes have dents in them from being permanently crossed for the last 5 of those years.

Dave

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 04:50:00 pm »

A very well done and thorough article. Mark, you seem to have the knack for getting across some pretty complex information in a way that even I can understand! Well done again.

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 05:08:09 pm »

A very well done and thorough article. Mark, you seem to have the knack for getting across some pretty complex information in a way that even I can understand! Well done again.

Kevin in CT

Thanks Kevin, appreciated. Glad you found it of interest.

Mark

tbonanno

• Tony Bonanno Photography, LLC
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 12:27:37 pm »

Outstanding article Mark.  Very helpful.  Especially the information related to custom profiling with the PRO series..

Thank you !
Tony Bonanno Photography
ASMP Profession

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 12:48:09 pm »

You are welcome; glad you are finding it useful.

sgrenald

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 07:11:05 pm »

I'm about to purchase a Pro-4000. With the current rebates and included ink, it's only a few hundred dollars more than the 2000, and I have the room...

I read Mark's review, and he likes the three new Canon papers. Since there's at least six (eight?) roll papers to choose from, I was wondering if getting one of the matte papers and the FineArt Polished rag to get my feet wet, so to speak.

Thanks,
Seth

PS Yes, I know there are actually more like 8000 different papers out there... ;-)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 07:48:14 pm »

Both the two new matte papers are very good, but I give the edge to Premium Fine Art Smooth. It really has wonderful photographic properties for a matte paper, and is available in sheets (perhaps less paper and less outlay than the rolls, but haven't checked; the other two are only supplied as rolls. Availability has been an issue - you'll check of course for the current status.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 10:59:23 am »

Outstanding article Mark.  Very helpful.  Especially the information related to custom profiling with the PRO series..

Thank you !

Just to clarify, but the Pro series doesn't do custom profiling.  I miss understood this new process from a training session before they even started shipping.  They can do custom media settings and I verified this with our Canon tech.  Other than that, the Pro series come with more updated features than the previous versions and I honestly like it much more.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 11:20:47 am »

Just to clarify, but the Pro series doesn't do custom profiling.  ............

I don't know what you mean by this, so it doesn't clarify whatever you are trying to clarify. However, rest assured that one can successfully make custom profiles for the papers one would use in these new Pro series printers very much as I described in the article. I've made heaps of them. Use Print Studio Pro in "No Color Correction" mode for printing the profiling targets, then make the profiles in i1Profiler and all works as it should.

If you are trying to say that the printer software's Calibration tool does not make profiles, that is correct. It tweaks the settings for improving the use of the canned profiles that Canon supplies with the printer driver.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 09:13:08 am by Mark D Segal »

sgrenald

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 10:40:30 pm »

Just to clarify, but the Pro series doesn't do custom profiling.  I miss understood this new process from a training session before they even started shipping.  They can do custom media settings and I verified this with our Canon tech.  Other than that, the Pro series come with more updated features than the previous versions and I honestly like it much more.

Thanks, Mark! They're at the top of my list now. FWIW, your review of the Pro-2000, and my impending purchase spurred me to subscribe to LuLa after reading the free articles for many years. :-)

sgrenald

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 11:01:33 pm »

Both the two new matte papers are very good, but I give the edge to Premium Fine Art Smooth. It really has wonderful photographic properties for a matte paper, and is available in sheets (perhaps less paper and less outlay than the rolls, but haven't checked; the other two are only supplied as rolls. Availability has been an issue - you'll check of course for the current status.

Hey Mark! I ordered the printer, and it should be arriving next week. I also ordered a roll of the PFAS and the Premium Fine Art Polished Rag. Scott Martin pointed out that FAPR isn't on the "approved" list for the Pro-4000 on Canon's website. You had good results with it though, correct?

Thanks,
Seth

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 08:18:41 am »

Hey Mark! I ordered the printer, and it should be arriving next week. I also ordered a roll of the PFAS and the Premium Fine Art Polished Rag. Scott Martin pointed out that FAPR isn't on the "approved" list for the Pro-4000 on Canon's website. You had good results with it though, correct?

Thanks,
Seth

Premium Fine Art Polished Rag works very well with the Pro-2000 printer which I tested. I have not tested the Pro-4000, but it should be the same - just bigger.

sgrenald

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 12:06:02 pm »

Premium Fine Art Polished Rag works very well with the Pro-2000 printer which I tested. I have not tested the Pro-4000, but it should be the same - just bigger.

Well, I got a roll of 24" and a roll of 44" so we'll see how it goes  ;D

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 12:33:25 pm »

Super - keep us informed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up