Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Side-by-side viewing of the same image....possible?  (Read 3384 times)

Dinarius

Side-by-side viewing of the same image....possible?
« on: January 31, 2017, 07:33:23 am »

For the purpose of seeing the effect of sharpening, I would like to be able to put the same image on the screen twice.

I would then zoom into both equally, but only sharpen one - comparing the changes in the sharpened image with the other one.

Can I do this?

Thanks.

D.

Dinarius

Re: Side-by-side viewing of the same image....possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 07:47:59 am »

Sorted!

1. Right click on the master image and choose, "Clone Variant"

2. Select both images

3. Select Multi-View (top left of the viewing pane)

Both images will now appear side-by-side and you can zoom in on both and sharpen just one to see the effect.

Neat!  8)

D.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 07:59:29 am »

For the purpose of seeing the effect of sharpening, I would like to be able to put the same image on the screen twice.

I would then zoom into both equally, but only sharpen one - comparing the changes in the sharpened image with the other one.

Can I do this?

Hi,

Yes, just create 2 variants of the same Raw file, select a file and clone it so it will be exactly identical with all the settings. Then select both (click in the Browser with the CTRL or Command key pressed), deselect the "Edit all selected variants" selector (see attachment where it is still selected), and toggle the "Multiview" viewer mode on. Now select one of the identical images and apply sharpening to that primary variant, without affecting the other variant.

When you zoom in, hold the Shift key to zoom both in simultaneously. I use the scroll-wheel of my mouse for zooming because it then zooms in/out to the mouse pointer position.

When you are done, toss one of the variants or keep them both for future adjustments.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. I saw that you already figured it out as I was posting my answer.
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Dinarius

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 08:18:21 am »

Cheers, Bart!  ;)

D.

Alun

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 04:32:50 am »

I'm sorry but I had a similar need but can't seem to get the "side-by-side comparison" of two images to work?

Thanks Bart for the Shift + Zoom answer - I'd wondered how to do that for an age! My question is this....

I have an image that I have tweaked and am happy with the result. The ICC profile its using is "embed camera profile". This is sRGB based on the settings of my Fuji X-T2. I now want to send that to White Wall to be printed on Hahnmuelle "William Turner" paper. This is a very matte, watercolour-type paper. I've created a recipe for the sizing, etc and used the ICC profile from White Wall. Obviously, this lowers the contrast significantly and washes out the saturation. I want to put my original (sRGB) version up against the White Wall version onscreen so that I can further tweak the contrast and saturation (as an example) for this print version. But it always displays the same ICC look for both and not just the print one. I guess I'm looking to keep my first image as a "reference" and the second as a "print proof". This is possible in LR but it doesn't appear that you can compare both in C1?

Thanks in advance if anyone can solve this long-standing query

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 12:43:35 pm »

You can also move the view of both zoomed images simultaneously to stay in syn for comparison.  simply hit the H key to enable the hand tool and then hold down the shift key while you move around in the image - both will move together. 

Alun

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 05:09:21 am »

Thanks - but still struggling with my OP

Remko

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 09:50:22 am »

I tried with the new functionality in CO V10 to get the original RAW file and a clone next to each other with different ICC profiles for both, selected  via a process recipe. So both Variants have different process recipes selected for them. But to my amazement it is not possible. If I select just one Variant and change the ICC profile in one process recipe BOTH Variants show the newly selected ICC Profile.
I selected an ICC Profile about which I know it has a limited color gamut (a matte paper), so the effect is very easy to see.

I then decided not to use Recipe Proofing (new functionality in CO V10) but instead used from the menu bar: View -> Proof Profile and selected a Profile from there. But to no avail either.

I would recommend to raise a support ticket with Phase One. They either will show you a proper way of doing it , or tell you that you stumbled on a bug, or will tell you that it is not possible. In the latter case I would ask them to evaluate it as a new feature request and, if it stands the evaluation, to put it on their Features Request list.

cheers,
Remko

af_ahoy

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 10:33:21 am »

I tried with the new functionality in CO V10 to get the original RAW file and a clone next to each other with different ICC profiles for both, selected  via a process recipe. So both Variants have different process recipes selected for them. But to my amazement it is not possible. If I select just one Variant and change the ICC profile in one process recipe BOTH Variants show the newly selected ICC Profile.
I selected an ICC Profile about which I know it has a limited color gamut (a matte paper), so the effect is very easy to see.

I then decided not to use Recipe Proofing (new functionality in CO V10) but instead used from the menu bar: View -> Proof Profile and selected a Profile from there. But to no avail either.

The issue is that Process Recipes and Proof Profile are not variant-specific. The only way you could really compare two images processed with different profiles is to actually process them then view them in an ICC-aware external application, which is admittedly not a very efficient solution.

It would be nice if we could specify Process Recipes on a variant by variant basis, possibly likewise for Proof Profile.

Remko

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 04:34:48 am »

The issue is that Process Recipes and Proof Profile are not variant-specific.

Thank you af, this confirms what I was guessing.

cheers,
Remko
Pages: [1]   Go Up