Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR tethering camera control plugin  (Read 2280 times)

Paul Wright

LR tethering camera control plugin
« on: January 31, 2017, 12:46:06 am »

I'm pretty much fed up with Canon EOS Utility for shooting tethered with the Canon 5D-IV. EOS Utility 2 was bearable with the old 5D-III but the now required, dumbed down EOS Utility 3 and DPP leaves me wanting more.

Is there a viable and reliable LR Plugin that gives camera control?

I'm trialing  Smart Shooter 3 which seems ok but not a great gain over EU-3. There doesn't seem to be much else out there.

As an aside I have just got the new touch bar MacbookPro 13 with the important performance options. Very nice...

Thanks, P

Simon J.A. Simpson

Re: LR tethering camera control plugin
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 05:56:38 pm »

Not a Lightroom plugin but I have found Helicon Remote a good utility; and you can use it for focus stacking and time lapse.

Here:
Helicon Remote @ Helicon Soft

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 12:35:52 pm »

I have had far more issues properly tethering with Lightroom than with EOS Utility, with my 5Ds. Part of it is that Lightroom can't keep up with rapid shooting and invariably crashes or hangs up because it's trying to "pre-process" the RAW as they come in. EOS Utility/DPP4 allow the images to flow without trying to manipulate them on the fly. (I've had some of the same issues with Capture One, though less so.)

You use a Mac rather than a PC, but the only other tether utility I've found works pretty well is DSLRemote from Breezesys.com.

Paul Wright

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 10:12:10 pm »

I have had far more issues properly tethering with Lightroom than with EOS Utility, with my 5Ds. Part of it is that Lightroom can't keep up with rapid shooting and invariably crashes or hangs up because it's trying to "pre-process" the RAW as they come in. EOS Utility/DPP4 allow the images to flow without trying to manipulate them on the fly. (I've had some of the same issues with Capture One, though less so.)

You use a Mac rather than a PC, but the only other tether utility I've found works pretty well is DSLRemote from Breezesys.com.

Until I switched from PC to Mac in 2010 I was a solid user of DSLRemotePro from Breezesys.com. It was a fabulous program. But it's PC only. I did trial the Mac version that they had until fairly recently, but it was an underdeveloped, feature-stripped mess compared to the PC version. Out of interest I checked into Breezsys last week and the Mac version of DSLR RemotePro is no longer offered.

Circling back to the original topic, I've made friends with EOS Utility3, using Bridge CC 2017 as the linked software. This setup is just for shooting, image and client assessment; the folder of images is later imported onto a high powered desktop back in the studio for processing.

FWIW until recently I found Bridge to be a lazy almost glacial performer, preferring the economy and speed of PhotoMechanic. But Bridge CC2017 is just snapping along!

Thanks!

-pw

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 04:20:11 am »

Paul I’m very pleased you have found a satisfactory solution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up