Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Classic large format telephoto lens with digital back?  (Read 1748 times)

drewharty

Classic large format telephoto lens with digital back?
« on: January 27, 2017, 11:55:57 am »

Hello,

I am working with Credo 50 on a 6x9 Arca. I would like use a long lens with minimal bellows draw so I have been looking at some classic large format telephoto lens: Nikkor T ED 270, Schneider tele-Xenar 250, and Fujinon T 300. I am most concerned about the sharpness and contrast these lens might produce at F/11 - F/16. Does anyone have experience using any of these lens with a digital back? Will a telephoto lens be noticeably less sharp if I am making 30x40 prints than my Sironar digital lens or a standard 250mm lens?

I would strongly prefer not to use a standard view camera lens. I am going to be photographing architect in the field daily over a period of about 6-8 weeks for a Luminous grant I received and want to avoid having to change the bellows and add a rail extension every time I want to try a telephoto view.

Thanks for any advice, Drew Harty

DanielStone

Re: Classic large format telephoto lens with digital back?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 11:26:50 pm »

I've used "telephoto" 4x5 lenses such as you describe with 6x7 rollfilm backs on my 4x5, and the drum scans have been great. Nothing that I'd say you couldn't get usable results from whatsoever.
I'm sure someone here will tell you otherwise, but heck, just buy a lens off of ebay or KEH and try it out :)

-Dan

drewharty

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 10:26:31 am »

Thanks for the comment Daniel,

Most the better condition telephotos lens I've seen on eBay are in Japan, so I was hoping to avoid buying and then returning if the lens wasn't sharp.

neilwatson

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 06:23:45 am »

I have tried both the Nikon and the Fuji tele lens with a p65 plus digital back.

The fujinon T 300 lens did not work out for me.  I was quite disappointed with image quality.

The Nikon ED T 270 mm is a very good lens on a phase one p65 plus digital back. ( I also bought from Japan)
I was also pleased with the performance of the Nikon T 360 mm and even the Nikon T 500 was usable.  The T 270 was the best of the three Nikon Lens I tried.

From my notebook for the Nikon T ED 270mm with p65 plus digital back

One frame portrait orientation

F8.  Very sharp center and good corners
F11  very sharp center and very sharp corners, slight diffraction
F16.  Sharp center and sharp corners,  diffraction showing

Two frame portrait orientation stitch

F8.  Very sharp center but soft corners
F11  very sharp center and good corners, slight diffraction

This is a very good price / performance ratio
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 07:53:06 am by neilwatson »

drewharty

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 09:27:49 am »

Thanks Neil,

Exactly the information I needed. Sounds like the Nikkor 270 will work best for me. It also has a shorter flange distance than the Fuji.

Drew

I have tried both the Nikon and the Fuji tele lens with a p65 plus digital back.

The fujinon T 300 lens did not work out for me.  I was quite disappointed with image quality.

The Nikon ED T 270 mm is a very good lens on a phase one p65 plus digital back. ( I also bought from Japan)
I was also pleased with the performance of the Nikon T 360 mm and even the Nikon T 500 was usable.  The T 270 was the best of the three Nikon Lens I tried.

From my notebook for the Nikon T ED 270mm with p65 plus digital back

One frame portrait orientation

F8.  Very sharp center and good corners
F11  very sharp center and very sharp corners, slight diffraction

Two frame portrait orientation stitch

F8.  Very sharp center but soft corners
F11  very sharp center and good corners, slight diffraction

This is a very good price / performance ratio
Pages: [1]   Go Up