Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scotland in June 2018 - Midges  (Read 9147 times)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Scotland in June 2018 - Midges
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 04:17:09 pm »

It's very special. There are other smaller megaliths in the vicinity too. You won't regret going there!

FabienP

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 05:02:39 pm »

It's very special. There are other smaller megaliths in the vicinity too. You won't regret going there!

A lovely place indeed. I found the main circle to be very attractive when the sun is quite low on the horizon, to ensure that the stones project long shades on the grass.

Speaking of midges, I found these to be quite civil creatures. They never seem to enter inside a house when a window is open. I wish mosquitoes would behave in a similar fashion.

Midges, though, seem to become very irritable when I extend the legs of my tripod in the field. The key thing is to prepare one's gear away from the shooting spot to minimise the exposure time (pun intended). Also, if one is waiting for clouds to move a bit before taking the shot, it can be wise to get away from the tripod until the proper time comes to be. Keep moving and do so in an unpredictable pattern, they will have a harder time following you.

Cheers,

Fabien

Daviswh

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 09:47:51 pm »

I haven't heard of stone circles - I did a quick Google search - pretty cool.  I'll have to research where they are in Skye or elsewhere in Scotland.  Thanks for the tip.
Bill

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 03:33:59 am »

I mention Callanish because it's on the neighbouring island and makes a great side trip from Skye (a 2 hour ferry) especially if you are driving. The only other "Stonehenge-class" stone circles in Scotland are the stones of Stenness and the Ring of Brodgar, but they're on the Orkney islands off the northern tip of Scotland and not as convenient for Skye. 

Incidentally, I would recommend driving in those parts of Scotland. The roads are quiet, often single lane. I always find the big problem is the gear stick being on the wrong side, so rent an automatic. 

John

Ray R

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 01:51:39 pm »

While John states
Incidentally, I would recommend driving in those parts of Scotland. The roads are quiet, often single lane.

I am not sure if he is talking about the areas of the stone circles, but at some time last year vehicles were being stopped at the Skye bridge and if no accommodation was booked they were not allowed on the island.

You may be alright in June, but the more popular places are really busy. 2 years ago over the Quiraing was just a large car park.

Here is a video out at Neist Point Lighthouse last year to give you some idea, and the fairy pools are as bad if not worse.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 03:30:18 pm »

I am not sure if he is talking about the areas of the stone circles, but at some time last year vehicles were being stopped at the Skye bridge and if no accommodation was booked they were not allowed on the island.

Really? Sure you've not misheard something, Ray?

Ray R

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 04:17:03 pm »

It was what I was told by someone who lives there, but he certainly could have misunderstood something.
I admit I should have checked first before posting it.

I try and avoid June, July and August. Its busy enough in April/May and Sept.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2017, 09:28:27 am »

By chance, I just heard that today high winds closed the bridge, but only to trucks and buses. But I just don't think they would close the bridge because too many people were on Skye - it doesn't sound like the sort of thing that happens here!

t6b9p

• BeyondVisible
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2017, 12:46:08 pm »

I have been to Isle of Skye and camped both times, one 10 day trip and one 7 day trip, both in the month of June.
Only had one night/morning problem with midges and that was at Broadford.

There is a funny story associated with it. Got there late evening and so went to photograph the sunset before setting up the tent. The midges were a mild annoyance during photography (gentle breeze kept the at bay). The problem was we had not sent up tent yet. Got back to the camp site in the semi-dark around 10.30 and started to setup the tent. I think my brother and I sent up the tent in record time as we were descended upon by the entire population of midges in Broadford.

The funny part is - hammering in a tent stake into hard ground, in the dark with 3 billion midges in your face and more importantly buzzing your eyes, I hit my thumb with the hammer and instantly took an inward (pain) gasp subsequently inhaling about a billion midges. Then proceeded to choke violently while frantically trying to finish up putting up tent. Had a good laugh once in tent and choking subsided.

Morning rolled around and we were trapped in the tent by midges but quickly saved by a nice ocean breeze.
Avoid low lying areas with no wind and you may not have a problem in June. Later months have more of a midge problem.

Was really disappointed on our second trip that they logged the "forest" that one used to hike through to get to the Old Man of Storr.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up