Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Scotland in June 2018 - Midges  (Read 9151 times)

Daviswh

Scotland in June 2018 - Midges
« on: January 24, 2017, 06:39:09 am »

I am planning a trip to Isle of Skye in June 2018.  Is the scourge of midges as bad as reported or are they just a nuisance that can be mitigated?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Scotland in June 2018 - Midges
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 08:20:04 am »

I wouldn't let them put you off travelling there. They are an irritant if it's still and you're near standing water. It's usually windy and raining though ;).

Lloyd Mayeda

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 07:04:05 pm »

We were there in July of 2010 and midges were not an issue.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 01:13:24 am »

Make sure you have a midge-proof head-net. In some spots they can be a real pain in the rear end.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
Scotland in June 2018 - Midges
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 02:38:45 am »

I have been this past August and they were a nightmare... We were photographing with head nets, you need to look for midge-proof ones, and light gloves... No body part was left available to them... But they were quite good looking for holes in our clothes ...

In June 2013 I was also there, I also have to fight them, but they were not as annoying as this past August, I suppose I was unlucky enough to catch them in full peak...

At the end, we liked when we had the small breeze, since they are so tiny they can not flight with winds higher than 5m/s, also, they don't like sunny days...

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Krug

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 09:23:56 am »

I offer this as a possible defence against the relentless midge.

Some years ago we were out hawking on the Sutherland moors and my wife was suffering badly from the midges. Feeling sorry "for the wee lady" the gillie produced a flask of whisky - my wife politely declined what she assumed was an offer of a drink "until we get back to the lodge in case you all have to carry me ". The gillie demurred and producing his spotted handkerchief from his top jacket pocket proceeded to gently dab the whisky on her exposed skin.

It worked with the midges and for the rest of the afternoon she wafted an aroma which had us all looking forward to the evening's lubricated memories of the day.

One could argue that it was a sad waste of whisky but she has always referred to it as the best Highland perfume - and her preferred anti-midge treatment.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 02:22:30 pm »

Rubbing bog myrtle on your skin, also seems to work quite well. I'd still get a head-net though.

Daviswh

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 08:43:17 pm »

Thanks for all the responses.  I hate the idea of having to reassess our plans, but maybe June isn't the right month to visit.  This is our anniversary, retirement, and photo trip.  Last summer we spent a few days in the Everglades and the mosquitoes were awful - I'm afraid that we are going to associate the bad experience in the Everglades with the midges in Scotland.  We have 1.5 years to to stew on this decision. 

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 10:14:36 am »

Thanks for all the responses.  I hate the idea of having to reassess our plans, but maybe June isn't the right month to visit.  This is our anniversary, retirement, and photo trip.  Last summer we spent a few days in the Everglades and the mosquitoes were awful - I'm afraid that we are going to associate the bad experience in the Everglades with the midges in Scotland.  We have 1.5 years to to stew on this decision.

At least midges don't bite, they just pester.

Torbjörn Tapani

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 01:16:39 pm »

Do midges react the same way as mosqitoes to repellents? Get a repellent with DEET. It works. There are products online with 98.11% DEET content but maybe that's overkill. A common brand we use in sweden has about 19% DEET.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 01:22:33 am »

Midges bite... A lot...

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 04:19:39 am »

Could you please tell them, because in my experience, they clearly don't know that they shouldn't be biting.

mlewis

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 05:22:53 am »

You have never experienced the Scottish Midge!  They bite.

mlewis

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 05:26:30 am »

I am planning a trip to Isle of Skye in June 2018.  Is the scourge of midges as bad as reported or are they just a nuisance that can be mitigated?
How bad they are depends a lot on the weather and how close to water you are.  A breeze is your friend.  They can be mitigated against with nets and by keeping exposed skin to a minimum.  Avon Skin So Soft skin cream is a very good midge repellent.  You will see in it shops in the Highlands being sold for that purpose!

They are a fact of life in Scotland.  Don't let them put you off!

armand

• Photos
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 02:58:37 pm »

The mosquitos in the south are still deterred by DEET, in the north a little less. The problem is you don't find them alone, many times you have plenty of no-see-ums (I guess you can place them in the midges category) that are very annoying and not that responsive to DEET. You don't get to hear them or see much but the irritation and puritus after can be terrible. They are more responsive to picaridin or sometimes even more to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IR3535
In the north you get also black flies that seem not to care about much beside dense clothing and permethrin.

Based on this the best way is to wear dense clothing (can be light as a wind breaker) with as much coverage that you can afford based on the weather that is treated with permethrin. You can do it yourself, buy clothing already treated or send them for treatment.
For skin I would use picaridin or the 1,3-xxx mentioned above. You can find the latter mixed with 30UPF sunscreen but it can stain depending on the brand (as I have found out).

JMCP

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 07:09:21 pm »

Hi,

The midges in Scotland are a nuisance but it is not the same as countries with a Mosquitos problem. Mosquitos are basically a constant nuisance and often bite you throughout the evening whilst your in your hotel room etc.. whereas Midges will only be a nuisance in damp shaded areas i.e. near trees, moor land etc.. but you are fine if you are in doors.

In June, you are not really at the height of the midge season, they are much more prevalent in July & August and Skye is an island so there is often a breeze which will keep the midges at bay.

I really wouldn't be put off going to Skye for your trip because of the midges as it is such a beautiful island but if you are intending stomping about the hills then the usual precautions that have been mentioned above about midge nets and Deet/skin so soft are worth considering having in your backpack.

Cheers, John

Daviswh

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 06:07:52 am »

Again thanks for all the responses. I discussed this topic with the wife this weekend. Her response was, why are you worrying about bugs, if this is where you want to go. then there is a no debate - based on this thread we have enough information to mitigate the rascals. Now I get the pleasure of planning the trip - I am so excited. My great-grandfather emigrated from around Glasgow so we'll add a day or two for family research.  There are a couple of scotch distilleries that I want to visit on the east coast as well. 

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 06:24:01 am »

Wise wife. Seriously, don't let midges put you off. On Skye consider visiting the Talisker distillery, and a quick side trip to Lewis (for Callanish stone circle) is easy if you are driving.

JMCP

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 03:43:05 pm »

And if you do visit the Talisker distillery and you enjoy seafood, pop up to the Oyster shed for a very casual but excellent seafood experience, it just up the hill behind the distillery.

Cheers, John

JMCP

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 03:44:56 pm »

Wise wife. Seriously, don't let midges put you off. On Skye consider visiting the Talisker distillery, and a quick side trip to Lewis (for Callanish stone circle) is easy if you are driving.

I'll be in Harris/Lewis in March/April fir the first time and have just added the stone circle to my todo list, thanks John.

Cheers, John
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up