Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop Upgrade frustration  (Read 2786 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
Photoshop Upgrade frustration
« on: January 23, 2017, 10:08:04 pm »

I have yet to have an upgrade to photshop thru the creative cloud that hs gone smoothly.  I Upgraded today to CC2017.  I copied the Plugins and Presets folders from Cc2015 and saved them.

After installing CC2107, ALL MY DOZENS OF ACTIONS HAVE DISSAPEARED.  I have several backups thru CC CLoner and Time machine, but I cannot find my actions anywhere in my older backups.  I know I saved them but cannot find them anywhere.

Can anyone help

I am on a MAC   Elcapitain

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Photoshop Upgrade frustration
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 06:29:24 am »

try looking in the finder  for

name    contains     .atn

ciao PK
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 04:13:39 pm »

So frustrating!!!

For some reason, installing CC2017, caused a bunch of actions I had in CC2015 to be deleted.  When I copied all the action from CC2015 before installation of Cc2017 and then inserted into CC2017, A bunch were not present.  Now I have to recreate thse and some were very complicated.

Very puzzling why installing CC2017 would do anything  to CC2015--they should be installed side by side.

MDIJB

mdiimaging.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 08:34:05 pm »

You can go back with time machine to the time you had not installed the latest lightroom...

Then save the actions at a place you will find them again and re install cc 2017.

Seems you have enough backups to deal with your problem..

cheers! PK

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 08:48:41 pm »

You can go back with time machine to the time you had not installed the latest lightroom...

Then save the actions at a place you will find them again and re install cc 2017.

Seems you have enough backups to deal with your problem..

cheers! PK

Lightroom and Photoshop are two independent applications. Photoshop CC is presently at Version 2017. Lightroom on the other hand is presently at CC 2015.8 (the latest update)
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 12:46:54 am »

I have yet to have an upgrade to photshop thru the creative cloud that hs gone smoothly.  I Upgraded today to CC2017.  I copied the Plugins and Presets folders from Cc2015 and saved them.

After installing CC2107, ALL MY DOZENS OF ACTIONS HAVE DISSAPEARED.  I have several backups thru CC CLoner and Time machine, but I cannot find my actions anywhere in my older backups.  I know I saved them but cannot find them anywhere.

Can anyone help

I am on a MAC   Elcapitain

MDIJB

I feel your pain.  Actions are specially hard to lose.  I have so many actions are built on other actions that I would have a hard time figuring out what is missing.  Part of the reason I have not upgraded from the CC2014 myself although I should, considering some of the new features (but then I am always afraid some of the old features I like might be lost too!) 

Anyway, did you by any chance happen to use the sync facility in the 2015 to store all your vitals including actions in your cloud account.  If so, you can reinstall the old version, bring all your actions back.  Then you can go to the appropriate folder and copy/paste to the new location in 2017. 

I think there is a place where you could have specified not to get rid of the old version when you upgraded which you probably missed.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:50:26 am by nirpat89 »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 07:45:49 am »

Anyway, did you by any chance happen to use the sync facility in the 2015 to store all your vitals including actions in your cloud account.  If so, you can reinstall the old version, bring all your actions back.  Then you can go to the appropriate folder and copy/paste to the new location in 2017. 

I think there is a place where you could have specified not to get rid of the old version when you upgraded which you probably missed.

Good luck!

This raises a question in my mind about why the process of upgrading an application without losing one's presets and customizations should require a minefield of not-so-obvious precautionary or remedial measures. Preservation of these items should be automatic like it is for many other applications. If this is a generic issue (is it?) perhaps deserves to be raised with Adobe as something they should examine?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

kirkt

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 09:02:48 am »

If you copied the Plug Ins and Presets folders from CC2015 (presumably to some other location on your hard drive) then whatever was in there when CC2015 was installed should be in there.  If the actions that you used in CC2015 were loaded from a .atn file that lived somewhere else on your hard drive, then it should still be in that location.  As noted previously, do a system-wide search for ".atn" as the file extension - you may have forgotten that you kept certain actions in a folder somewhere that has been moved or copied to some other drive.

One of the irksome things about the whole CC upgrade system is that when a new version of an application such as Photoshop comes out (say the upgrade from CC2015.5 to 2017) the default behavior when presented with the "Do you want to upgrade?" dialog is to remove all older versions of the application.  Usually, the installer leaves the Plug Ins folder behind in the former application folder for the removed version, but that is about it.  In order to keep your older versions, you have to click on a hyperlink looking line of text in the upgrade dialog that says "Advanced Options" - this is where you can uncheck the box that is, by default, checked that says "Remove old versions."

As far as Plug Ins go, as of 2015(.5?), there is a common Plug Ins folder that will obviate the need to copy (or reinstall) plug ins from one version to another.  On the Mac, this folder lives at the following location:

/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CC

That is: [root level] Library > Application Support > Adobe > Plug-Ins> CC

Install (or copy) everything to this folder and all versions of PS CC on your machine will have access to these plug ins - no more need to have multiple copies of plug ins in each individual PS CC version's Plug Ins folder.

Good luck,

kirk
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:06:23 am by kirkt »
Pages: [1]   Go Up