Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about Olympus Pen F  (Read 2619 times)

Herbc

Question about Olympus Pen F
« on: January 23, 2017, 11:26:06 am »

I read a review about this camera, a micro 4/3, that puts it in a class with sony A7s and another mfg, I forget who, and the reviewer stated the Pen F was equal to the A7s in many regards.
How is this possible? the FF sensor vs the m4/3??? 8)

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: Question about Olympus Pen F
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 11:29:30 am »

I'm sure there are a number of things where the two are on equal footing but at the sensor level, according to DXO, the A7S has a stop more dynamic range and almost two stops better noise - kind of in line with what you'd expect rather than the opinion of somebody who may have a bias ;)
https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Olympus-PEN-F-versus-Sony-A7S-II___1070_1047

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 06:01:08 pm »

Won't comment to that review as I have not read it...but sensor size is not everything.  Not stating they are equal, in many respects they certainly aren't... but...then again they are both two extremely different tools in my eyes.  You didn't happen to mention in which regards they are stated as equal.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 09:15:56 am »

I'd like to see a side by side comparision, but in a low light situation.  My guess is that for something like night photography, a the larger sensor will have more dynamic range. 

SZRitter

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 09:28:38 am »

Do you have a link to the review?

At base ISO, other than a stop less dynamic range, I bet you don't see much difference. Ramping it up is where things will change. The A7S, if I recall, is tuned for video and low light performance, not necessarily stills in bright light.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 12:36:11 pm »

A 12mp sensor tuned for high ISO will obviously be a different user than an all-arounder at 20mp.  There is definitely a resolving difference.  I bet most prints won't show any difference at the end of the day though.  I can't even imagine the same people would be considering between these two cameras for the exact same reasons.
Tony

Herbc

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 03:05:42 pm »

Ok, I think I got what I was looking for.  Thanks to all that replied!

The Pen F has a 20mp sensor, and is probably just fine for a pocket camera, even for 16x20 prints and smaller, but the FF sensor has to be superior at the limits, otherwise why bother with it. 8)

Telecaster

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 04:07:37 pm »

You can go beyond 16x20" with the Pen F or other 20mp m43 camera (I have a Panasonic GX8) with no trouble, but that doesn't get at why anyone would compare it to an A7s. The Sony is tuned for low-light use, the Olympus for general purpose stuff. It's an apples & oranges situation.

-Dave-

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 12:51:41 pm »

The Pen F has a high resolution mode as well that will create 80MP images with better color reproduction and slightly lower noise. Tried it out in a shop and it's a nice camera, but I don't think it's worth the price. The OM-D E-M5 mk.II seems a better choice to me if you want a good m43 camera at a reasonable price for the performance.
Instagram (updated often)

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 04:39:22 pm »

I personally like the handling of the EM5 better than the pen to be honest.  The high-res mode is nice if you are in a situation to take advantage of it.  I have used it for several projects and the color reproduction is so much better than a single shot.  And no moire!
Tony
Pages: [1]   Go Up