Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Non-oem inks for Epson 7800  (Read 5204 times)

deliberate1

Non-oem inks for Epson 7800
« on: January 21, 2017, 04:54:23 pm »

I went searching for some 220ml ink cartridges for my 7800 which has worked nearly flawlessly for more than a decade. It has been a while since I bought inks as my print production is relatively light. And I have my workflow calibrated and  to the point where more often than not I get what I want from the first print.
I remember not that long ago getting 220ml cartridges for somewhere in the range of $40-50, often singletons on Ebay. But the cost is now in the $80+ range, with Epson selling them for $112 and B&H at $85. Assuming the price continues to creep, or that the inks become unavailable if this model becomes unsupported, I am going to have to get a different printer or find an alternative source for ink. I know there are non-oem options out there but have never investigated them as I had no real need, and I did not want to mess with a potentially volatile and unknown variable. I would appreciate hearing from some of you folks who have transitioned from Epson inks to third party and what your experience has been. While I have no real desire to replace my printer, in weaker moments I have pondered turning my 7800 into a dedicated B&W machine and get a new printer for color.
Appreciate your thoughts.
David

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Non-oem inks for Epson 7800
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 06:29:52 pm »

All kinds of options.
You can get a set of refillable carts starting at around $136.00 and refill them with OEM K3 inks or 3rd. party.
About a dozen printers that use K3 inks. Just advertise WTB K3 inks.
Lots of people that are moving to a new printer and they just want to get rid of the inks from their old printer.
Best of both worlds, still use OEM inks and the price can be as low as .05 per ml.
I feed 4 of my K3 printers this way.

Other options with the refillable carts are 3rd. party inks.
I think Jon Cones (Ink Republic) are the best.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:13:49 am by Dan Berg »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 06:46:06 pm »

Me, too.  Only I just have one 9800.  ;D
K3 inks from MIS Associates in funnel-fill carts has worked perfectly for 7 years.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 06:53:01 pm »

Personally I think that if you have your workflow calibrated to the point you want it then why risk throwing that away to save on ink?
In Australia we pay $71 for an 80ml cartridge so your prices sound cheap. I just buy them one at a time as I need them.

I once had an expensive printer and decided to use third party cartridges to save some money. They destroyed the printer and I had to throw it away as a total loss. Just my opinion.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

donbga

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 09:21:33 pm »

Why are non-OEM inks and carts referred to as 3rd party products.

Saving money on consumables is no sin, accepting the fact that printer manufacturing companies can bend the buyer over a table doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

There are good quality after market non OEM carts that can be utilized with confidence. Cone products are very reliable and backed up by their customer support.  Unfortunately refillables aren't perfect. The cart seals will eventually wear and leak. That's why some folks recommend modifying the carts so they may be refilled without removing them from the printer.

It is imperative that potential users do their own research about the replacement products available. Be prepared to create your own profiles or have them made.

Inkjet printing like other forms of print making require skill, knowledge, and persistence to make successful prints. But using non OEM products to save money for non-commercial printing is a no brainer IMO.

Don Bryant

deliberate1

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 08:53:41 am »

All kinds of options.
You can get a set of refillable carts starting at around $136.00 and refill them with OEM K3 inks or 3rd. party.

Dan, thanks for yours. Where does one find bulk K3 OEM inks to fill the carts if I understood you correctly. I checked with Epson on line and there is no bulk ink advertised.
Obliged.

deliberate1

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 09:01:55 am »

Personally I think that if you have your workflow calibrated to the point you want it then why risk throwing that away to save on ink?

Bob, a very valid point. But no one likes to pay more for a product than they have to. And no one likes when the same product increases in price with no additional value. And no one, especially, is happy if the essential element in a process suddenly becomes unavailable because the manufacturer decides not to support the device any longer because they want to "direct" you into their newer product. That is where I am right now with a 12 year old printer which I have no interest in replacing.

Cheers

howardm

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 09:11:14 am »

Dan, thanks for yours. Where does one find bulk K3 OEM inks to fill the carts if I understood you correctly. I checked with Epson on line and there is no bulk ink advertised.
Obliged.

You  dont.  What I think you find are auction site 'short date' 200/300mL carts (or similar ie. craigslist etc) for big printers that you then extract w/ syringes.

donbga

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 10:24:39 am »

You  dont.  What I think you find are auction site 'short date' 200/300mL carts (or similar ie. craigslist etc) for big printers that you then extract w/ syringes.

Look on EBay for expired ink carts that are still unopened and the "empties" have value as well. For example "empty" carts for a 3800 actually contain 10-15 ml of ink remaining. Harvesting this ink can save you money.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 10:30:57 am »

Howard has it right.
I have purchased over 10,000 ml of OEM inks this way. It is out there.
Large carts from all the bigger K3 printers (350/700ml) are usually available. We pull from 15 to 30ml of ink from just about any k3 cart that is supposed to be empty.
The more people that scuttle their older K3 machines like 3800,3880,4880,4900,7800,7880,7980,7900 + all the 44" models, the more ink will be available.
There is going to be a lot of this available with people switching to the new insets.
Wanting to stay with K3 inks is the main reason I just purchased a used 9890 and had a new head put in my 9900.
As far as ink dates are concerned I keep 2 machines with current inks (Within 2 years of the stamped cart date). My 9900 and P800 for critical work.
The other printers run almost nonstop for workshops and not critical work. (Do a fair amount of short term poster work, throw aways in about 3 months.
Not for everyone but  you sure can save a ton of money! (I average a 700% savings!)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 09:36:38 am by Dan Berg »

Paul Roark

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 11:30:37 am »

I use STS Inks empty, refillable carts for my 7800 and 9800.   I don't like the funnel fill idea due to the air in the carts, more difficult agitation, and size.  I work through a sales rep, not the web page.  Contact me off line for his email.

I, of course, use my design (MIS/inksupply.com or STS sourced) matte or glossy B&W carbon inks in the variable tone arrangement.  For fine art quality color pigments, I do believe the OEM pigs are the best, but for casual printing, third party can be fine.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 09:16:18 am »

Why are non-OEM inks and carts referred to as 3rd party products.

They're not from the printer manufacturer, and they're not made by you... they're made by a third party :)

donbga

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 02:07:43 pm »

and they're not made by you... they're made by a third party :)

Ah, I'm not buying that. Thanks.

deliberate1

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 08:37:47 pm »

I appreciate all of the suggestions in response to my question. I am also warming to the idea of getting carts and filling them with bulk K3 ink. My question is whether inks designated for the 7890/7900/9890/9900 can be used in the 7800? Also, would appreciate a source for reliable replacement carts. Thanks again.

Farmer

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 09:46:20 pm »

Consider ink for the Pro 10000 is still available, it's unlikely that 7800 ink will be unavailable any time soon.

Regarding price - what percentage of your total cost is ink?  Is it worth the time and effort to change your workflow which, in your own words, does what you expect?
Phil Brown

deliberate1

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 09:59:27 pm »

Regarding price - what percentage of your total cost is ink?  Is it worth the time and effort to change your workflow which, in your own words, does what you expect?

I would not regard the move to a cheaper source of OEM inks to be a change in workflow except for the refilling of carts. Seems like a good option to me. Cheers.

Farmer

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 11:34:37 pm »

I'm not trying to push you one way or the other, just consider the costs (which you've just done) :-)
Phil Brown

deliberate1

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 07:05:00 am »

Cheers, Phil.
Pages: [1]   Go Up