Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A6300 - What to Use to Safely Clean LCD?  (Read 2175 times)

John Hollenberg

Sony A6300 - What to Use to Safely Clean LCD?
« on: January 21, 2017, 12:40:27 am »

I just purchased a Sony A6300 and managed to get fingerprints/noseprints on the LCD already.  What is a safe way to clean the LCD, especially if there is some skin oil on it?  Couldn't find anything useful in the Sony manual.

Also, is a screen protector recommended, and if so which one have you found to work well?

Thanks.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: Sony A6300 - What to Use to Safely Clean LCD?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 05:05:32 am »

I use LARMOR screen protectors on my NEX6 and A6000. Very strong, fairly scratch resistant and easy to apply. Should work fine for an A6300 as well.

To clean the LCD I would take a tissue they use for cleaning spectacle glasses, I think these are pretty mild and should clean off skin oil easily.
Also the LARMOR screen protector comes with a cleaning kit which you can use before putting on the protector to ensure there are no foreign materials left.
pieter, aka pegelli

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 10:02:45 am »

Similar to what was said above, simply use a microfiber lens cloth.

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 11:30:21 am »

I have been using the Expert Shield glass screen protectors for the past 4 years and I'm pretty happy with them.
Jay W Page

John Hollenberg

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 09:13:58 pm »

Similar to what was said above, simply use a microfiber lens cloth.

I thought you always had to wet the surface before using a cloth.  Sony manual says no alcohol, no tap water, only distilled water.

PS Thanks to those who suggested screen protectors.  I will try one of them.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 04:11:02 pm »

I just purchased a Sony A6300 and managed to get fingerprints/noseprints on the LCD already.  What is a safe way to clean the LCD, especially if there is some skin oil on it?  Couldn't find anything useful in the Sony manual.

Also, is a screen protector recommended, and if so which one have you found to work well?

Thanks.

Spit on it and wipe with your shirt tail.

Seriously, though, try the microfiber cloths that are sold for cleaning eyeglasses.

As for a screen protector, they don't prevent cracks and other serious damage, just minor dings and scratches. And the LCD will be perfectly usable with a few minor dings and scratches.

wcarlew

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 02:39:59 am »

Spit on it and wipe with your shirt tail.

Seriously, though, try the microfiber cloths that are sold for cleaning eyeglasses.

As for a screen protector, they don't prevent cracks and other serious damage, just minor dings and scratches. And the LCD will be perfectly usable with a few minor dings and scratches.

True, the protector will not prevent serious damage to the screen, however; it may prevent serious damage to your nose or fingers on the sharp glass afterwards ;) Don't ask how I know.  The protector may keep the screen semi usable until repair.
Pages: [1]   Go Up