Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help me to decide to switch to C1 10  (Read 2866 times)

PrintPd

help me to decide to switch to C1 10
« on: January 20, 2017, 11:20:14 pm »

I was using Aperture and Lightroom 3.6 on my old MacBook Pro (Snow Leopard). I liked Aperture for file management and the ease of reversing any single adjustment. Lightroom was much better for printing but I never figured out a convenient way of sorting my files.
I just upgraded to a new MacBook Pro and I was testing C1 version 10. I found making adjustments and reversing them is just as easy as in Aperture except I like the results much much more. I also did some printing and the results were quite good except I was struggling with adjusting the margins with letter size (but not with A4).
The one aspect I have not yet really grasped is file management in C1. I spent some time to watch some tutorials but I still do not get the real difference between sessions and catalogs. What is the most elegant and efficient process?
I could get the most recent version of Lightroom (likely for free) but I like most of C1. How to figure out the rest?

scyth

Re: help me to decide to switch to C1 10
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 12:25:43 am »

What is the most elegant and efficient process?

for whom ? I do not like both for example - I need to use C1 as a stand alone raw converter invoked from other software and so I am forced to use "dummy" session ...

otherwise - did you check recent articles @ http://blog.phaseone.com/ about sessions for example ?

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 01:50:16 am »

C1 have a bad track record for serious bugs and slow updates with me and, IMHO, are not a patch on Adobe as a software company.
The recent comments that they might not support the new Fuji medium format because it's competition for their Phase One is a clear reminder that they're a camera company and best avoided as a software provider.

one iota

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 02:34:02 am »

With regard to Sessions this might assist in understanding its MO:

http://blog.phaseone.com/sessions-101-discussing-the-concept/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_content=w03_2017_Sessions_101

I use catalogs as it suits my situation. If I was doing distinct projects I'd be using Sessions.
Mahn England

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 09:10:15 am »

Capture One can be used with sessions which are great for independent projects. A basic file structure that is portable. There is a database so you can keyword and rate and everything is searchable. Albums and Smart Albums are available.

Catalogs are more like what LR and Aperture use. You can import the files into the catalog or import as referenced.

I use both catalog and sessions depending on the my needs. The UI is the same for both. You can import a session into a catalog if you want to. When traveling I use a session for the trip on my laptop and then once home I can just copy the session over to my normal drives and/or import in my main catalog.

There are some good tutorials on how to go from Aperture and Light Room to Capture One Pro. Capture One as been adding a lot of features for key wording and rating etc. One big addition was sharpening with diffraction correction. The UI is completely customizable. Supports multiple monitors and all that good stuff.

The tethered support is second to none. And the RAW converter is excellent. You can get a 10% off code at Digital Transitions.
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 06:59:48 am »

I switched to C1P from LR CC after replacing my pro Canon DSLRs and L lens with Fuji X cameras and lenses. The IQ is much better with C1P from Fuji X RAW files and easier to get there.

I am very happy with the results. C1P works more like Aperture than LR in terms of work flow. C1P 10 has usable DAM capabilities which is import to me as I have over 145k+ images. However, C1P chokes on large image catalogs which LR handles with easy. I had to break my single LR catalog into three smaller C1P catalogs to maintain usable speed. I hope this will be fixed in future versions of C1P.

Also, since I started using Affinity Photo to replace Adobe Photoshop, I have cancelled my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription. Hooray!

Regards,
Bud

www.budjames.photography
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

N80

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 11:42:06 am »

I loved Aperture. Hated LR. Came to CO somewhat because I had nowhere to turn. I'm not a pro. Do not have a large catalog. And do not like having to use multiple programs to get through post. In this regard CO meets my needs and I've come to really like it and enjoy working in it.

It is extremely flexible in terms of layout and workflow. I still have a few minor complaints about DAM but they are hardly deal breakers. I do not use Sessions.

I do not like software subscriptions. I have a PC (Personal Computer) for a reason. It was liberating AND gratifying to finally wash my hands of everything Adobe.

At this point my only gripe is that CO is not speedy on my new iMac. It isn't slow, just not fast. More RAM might help a little. Still not a deal breaker. I'm pretty much dedicated to CO at this point and have no regrets.

Still mad as hell at Apple.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 04:02:11 pm »

I loved Aperture. Hated LR. Came to CO somewhat because I had nowhere to turn. I'm not a pro. Do not have a large catalog. And do not like having to use multiple programs to get through post. In this regard CO meets my needs and I've come to really like it and enjoy working in it.

It is extremely flexible in terms of layout and workflow. I still have a few minor complaints about DAM but they are hardly deal breakers. I do not use Sessions.

I do not like software subscriptions. I have a PC (Personal Computer) for a reason. It was liberating AND gratifying to finally wash my hands of everything Adobe.

At this point my only gripe is that CO is not speedy on my new iMac. It isn't slow, just not fast. More RAM might help a little. Still not a deal breaker. I'm pretty much dedicated to CO at this point and have no regrets.

Still mad as hell at Apple.

I don't think CO is the fastest kid on the block but then again, I've not used Lightroom for anything but making web galleries for years.  I'm biased as I've used CO exclusively since V3.  But I'm not a dam user so I'm a sessions guy and it works perfectly for my business.  I'm still a bit behind on hardware, ivybridge i7 quad, and 32gb of ram and I'm not unhappy with performance.  My usual workload is 8 to 10 images per shooting day for work and a bit more or less when shooting for fun.  When I work on my retina MacBook or hot rod Mac mini, there are speed differences but they are manageable.

I too really don't want to go the subscription route, and currently find PSCS6 to work out fine.  I'm also learning Affinity Photo, but a couple of decades of muscle memory is hard to overcome. 

I shoot almost all tethered for work with CO and Capture Pilot which is a very valuable tool I'm my work.  I've had occasional glitches with tethering over the years with MBPs but it has been very stable recently.  USB3 cameras need a powered USB hub to work, or just use USB2 which is flawless without a hub.  The slowdown of transfers with a 5Ds is not a problem for my work but it may be for others. I regularly use a 30' active USB extension cable, usb2or3 both work fine.

Unless something major changes I'm not going anywhere.
Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: [1]   Go Up