Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick look at P5000  (Read 5579 times)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
Quick look at P5000
« on: January 19, 2017, 06:26:50 pm »

I took a trip to Epson's UK HQ this morning to have a look at the P5000.

One with the Spectroproofer and one without.

Also had a look at the new printhead assembly.

It seems that quite a lot of design work has gone into stopping paper dust accumulation and ingress, since this was noted as a cause of some problems in the 4900.

Obviously a press event is not one for detailed testing, but Epson tell me that they are going to arrange a unit to test for my review :-)

I'll add any other info I get here, until I get one turn up
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson-surecolor-sc-p5000-std-printer-announced/

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Quick look at P5000
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 07:59:03 pm »

I took a trip to Epson's UK HQ this morning to have a look at the P5000.

One with the Spectroproofer and one without.

It seems that quite a lot of design work has gone into stopping paper dust accumulation and ingress, since this was noted as a cause of some problems in the 4900.

Obviously a press event is not one for detailed testing, but Epson tell me that they are going to arrange a unit to test for my review :-)

I can't wait. I just spent most of the afternoon getting one print made for a show (well, two, in case I screw up the signing part), with my cloggy 4900.

Jim

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 09:56:35 pm »

That's good to hear.  My partner who services 4900's has always told me they seem to be more "gunked up" (his words) when he tears into them than the larger printers.  Perhaps these were improvements made to the p5000's big brothers, because although my 9900 was fine and I had no complaints, my p9000 has been better.

I gave my p800 to a friend and was planning on replacing it.  Maybe I'll have to try out the p5000 instead.

Rado

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 06:12:47 am »

When would one choose P800 vs P5000 and vice versa? Is it just more inks in P5000?

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 06:35:03 am »

When would one choose P800 vs P5000 and vice versa? Is it just more inks in P5000?

Yes more inks, but it's also a rather more 'heavy duty' printer, with a paper cutter and sheet paper magazine.

Faster and with 200ml ink cart size.

The spectro for proofing is only for the 4900/P5000 - note that this is not an add-on to get if you just want to make ICC profiles for your papers, it's for the proofing market (where it's supported by high end print/proof software). When I reviewed the 4900 I removed the spectro for most of my testing - it just got in the way ;-)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 02:29:02 pm »

In my case the inkset would match my p9000 and as Keith mentioned, the build is more robust and it has a true roll feed with cutter.  Fairly simple to switch from single sheet feed from the top to roll, to a stack of sheets in the bottom.

Although for me the p800 would be more than enough since I can do rolls on my p9000, so to be honest it's partially about being a dealer and getting to know the printer so I can advise and help customers.  My usage would be light, so I would certainly discover fairly quickly if they've improved the clogging situation.

howardm

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 03:23:50 pm »

the included carts are 80ml whereas the normal carts are 200.  I'd guess that the initial fill also auto-generates an order to B&H for $1000+ worth of ink ;)  :(

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 05:00:12 pm »

the included carts are 80ml whereas the normal carts are 200.  I'd guess that the initial fill also auto-generates an order to B&H for $1000+ worth of ink ;)  :(

On larger Epson printers I've had the initial fill uses a little more than half of most of the starter cartridges, and a little more than that of the LK cartridge because it's "paired" with both MK and PK. There's enough ink remaining for quite a few large prints. The first to run empty are usually LK followed by LLK, the rest last longer, and the last to go empty are orange and green. For me that has meant ordering one or two cartridges weeks or months apart over quite a long period. I have no idea whether the P5000 behaves this way, but I'd be a little surprised if it did not.
- Dean

howardm

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 05:30:15 pm »

it will be interesting to see how much is left after the initial fill.

BobDavid

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 09:11:02 pm »

I am disappointed that the P5000 uses green and orange inks. I once had a 9900. It lasted about two years. I then bought a 7890. The 7890 doesn't use green and orange inks. Photographs printed on the 9900 look identical to the same ones printed on the 7890. Green and orange are for graphic designers, not photographers. I very very rarely have clogging issues with the 7890.

My 9900 clogged all the time. I really liked my 9800 except for the fact it was impractical to swap MK for PK. My 9800 died when our house was struck by lightning. Surge protectors and UPSs are not designed to handle direct lightning strikes.

Doug Gray

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 09:27:16 pm »

I am disappointed that the P5000 uses green and orange inks. I once had a 9900. It lasted about two years. I then bought a 7890. The 7890 doesn't use green and orange inks. Photographs printed on the 9900 look identical to the same ones printed on the 7890. Green and orange are for graphic designers, not photographers. I very very rarely have clogging issues with the 7890.

My 9900 clogged all the time. I really liked my 9800 except for the fact it was impractical to swap MK for PK. My 9800 died when our house was struck by lightning. Surge protectors and UPSs are not designed to handle direct lightning strikes.

The green and orange inks extend the gamut. This makes zero difference in print quality unless your images just happen to have colors that require the extended gamut. Few do.  My 9500 II has a green ink as well and I can see the larger gamut (10 to 15 dE) in the greens between about L=50 and L=75 compared to the 9800 which does not have a green ink. Elsewhere the 9500 gamut is not extended.

Graphic designers do sometimes have a need for larger gamut printers if they are trying to replicate spot colors that are sufficiently saturated. 98% coverage of Pantone coated is pretty good. 99% with the violet ink replacing one of the neutrals is even better but it impacts smoothness and accuracy of in gamut colors which most photographers seek.

Randy Carone

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 07:41:06 am »

howardm, my last two printers (3800 and P800) were both refurbs purchased directly from Epson's website at a cost lower than a new printer with their best rebates. Both printers had the full one-year warranty AND a set of FULL SIZED inks. Best deals for sure. BTW, I love the new P800.
Randy Carone

howardm

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 09:37:51 am »

I dont want to go down the refurb  hole.  Too many opportunities to inherit 'problems'.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 10:23:11 am »

I dont want to go down the refurb  hole.  Too many opportunities to inherit 'problems'.
What problems?

Is this based on actual evidence, or some preference against 2nd hand goods?

howardm

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 10:52:32 am »

no personal/actual evidence.  Just a preference in this particular case (not against 2nd hand in general)

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 12:03:23 pm »

I think it has little to do with green and orange inks. My 7900 that lasted 7.5 years and when it died it was because the yellow channel could not be cleared. Orange and green inks seemed to clog less than the others, and last a lot longer than the others.  I print a mix of MK and PK, but mostly PK, and never had any particular clogging problem when switching between MK and PK inks. Maybe this varies between samples and it certainly varies with the printer's environment and usage patterns. FWIW, at least in my case the P-series clogs a lot less. I've seen zero imperfect nozzle checks in almost 7 months of use, though I suspect the printer is doing nozzle checks and possibly extremely light cleanings even though I have all of that turned off. At this point I've started making prints without running a manual nozzle check first because it started to seem like a waste of time. Obviously YMMV but I'm quite happy with the P7000.
- Dean

Randy Carone

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 06:54:07 pm »

Neither one of my refurbs was shipped with carts installed and neither one gave me a bit of trouble. Knock wood, the SC-P800 is fairly new and I love it so far. The 3800 gave me years of trouble-free service.
Randy Carone

BradSmith

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 02:21:12 pm »

Regarding ink in Refurbs...I recently received a replacement P800 under warranty.  It came in a box that had Refurb printed on it, but was taped up and looked in all other ways like a brand new unit.  And it came with all new, full sized, not installed cartridges.
Brad
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up