Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica M10 Review  (Read 27947 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Leica M10 Review
« on: January 19, 2017, 04:05:00 pm »

I just published the Leica M10 review. Head over to the homepage.  It's quite a nice camera. It was a lot of fun shooting with a rangefinder camera again.  Just wish I could afford it.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

melgross

Re: Leica M10 Review
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 08:01:02 pm »

There are several things that bother me. A very bad interface gives you two ways to do the same thing without tying them together. Cameras that allow changing shutter speeds, or ISO settings, with a mechanical dial, and in the menu, had better have a way of transferring these settings either way.

Because we WILL forget that we've changed the setting in the menu when we look at that dial, if they aren't somehow linked with a motor, or solenoid, the settings will be different. This is a major disaster! It's a 101 course level error in design.

So the question is whether they are linked somehow. I hope they are, or Leica will be getting a lot of missives from angry users.

The other thing is more mundane. But as in the M8, that large expanse of blank sheet metal on the top is really ugly. It's not a Leica thing. They should have gone back to the engraving if they couldn't find a use for the surface. So, I thought the M8 was in first place for the worst looking camera top, until the new
Hassleblad came out, because that looks cheap. But this has tied it.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 05:09:02 am »

It's pretty in pictures, but I have to agree about the look of that top plate, especially at the left: those sharp angles next to the ISO wheel needed chamferring to a greater degree than they appear to have had.

That aside, I'm sure I'm prepared to salivate!

http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/camera/styled-56/

for an alternative take.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 08:51:15 am »

Rob, agreed, that top plate isn't the fairest of them all.

Now, what's that old adage about mantle piece and fire?

;-)

Keith,

Mantlepieces: when I had one, I used to lean against it with my hands as I tried to heat my nuts in defense against Scottish winters. Central heating put an end to that particular thrill, but don't underestimate the value of attractive mantlepieces! Having said that, once the CH was installed, pretty mantlepiece or not, I decided to wall in the fireplaces downstairs with panelling, and I must say, it did end up looking rather grand. I suppose I must thank those grim years as a mech.eng. apprentice for the skill. Wood is as nothing when you've been working with steel!

Here is Spain, there is a log/burner stove with a sort of hood that forms a nice shape, and hides the steel pipe leading up and through it to release the fumes to the sky. The ventilation tiles on the sides at the top of the hood let the air heated by the exhaust pipe gather and sally forth into the room...  I never lean against that hood, however, as it's painted, and I would end up having to paint and paint... but on the other hand, my wife would often stand in front of the stove and lift the back of her skirt the better to heat herself. As I never wore skirts, and especially not kilts with the danger of large pins etc. I have, myself, ever been denied that joy, which I'm assured was considerable.

Further on the matter of skirts: when I was buying Rusty - you may remember snaps of him - I got pissed off because the local Ford dealership failed to deliver on time, despite the car existing (I'd seen the damned thing in the distributor's huge garage) twenty miles away, so I pulled a tantrum and marched into the showroom and cancelled. They were, I discovered, looking after the interests of car-hire firms ahead of mine; you couldn't make it up!

Anyway, that afternoon, the doorbell rang and I opened it to a guy in a suit, who turned out to be head of sales at the distributors. He offered to deliver the car, if I'd reconsider, the following day. I was not wearing a suit myself, in fact I was wearing a sarong and not even a T-shirt. I felt a little bit undermined by my sartorial choice for the postprandial period, and so felt I had no option but to accept his offer. Oh well, I wanted that car anyway...

Rob

SCFrieze3

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 10:00:21 am »

Leicas and Hasseblads.  The appeal is, and always has been, very strong for this enthusiast/semi  professional.  Buying a ford whilst wearing a surong not so much...  tho' I do enjoy Scotland quite a lot.  Oh to have the money to indulge the equipment lusts.  But that isn't the life lot of the country parson.   ;) :)

SCFrieze3

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 10:40:35 am »

Now, Rob, there's an image that'll be forever imprinted on my mind!

;-)

I've been trying not to go there.... 

albertknappmd

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 01:24:55 pm »

I have the MP 240 and love it.. From what I have heard, the M10 is a step up and I will road test it first and then probably buy it. I agree that a 30MP sensor would have been awesome as the Leica lenses are the best in the world.. Period..
Albert  :) :) :)

Telecaster

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 03:20:55 pm »

It's pretty in pictures, but I have to agree about the look of that top plateā€¦

I've thought about taking a pic of my M2's top plate, replacing the 2 in M2 with an 8.2, and turning the pic into overlay stickers for both my M8.2s. For awhile the black one had a Hello Kitty sticker on it.  :D

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 04:52:39 pm »

Leicas and Hasseblads.  The appeal is, and always has been, very strong for this enthusiast/semi  professional.  Buying a ford whilst wearing a surong not so much...  tho' I do enjoy Scotland quite a lot.  Oh to have the money to indulge the equipment lusts.  But that isn't the life lot of the country parson.   ;) :)

Whoa there! I wouldn't wear a sarong in Scotland; I speak of pre-Arctic Mallorca!

I fact, I was so annihilated by that David v. Goliath sartorial encounter that I've never worn one since. You see, I had no available slingshot beyond a refusal. But I wanted the car anyway, as I wrote...

;-)

Rob

athegn

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 05:37:17 pm »

Rob

Reminds of a shoot for a friend. He wanted an image of himself posing as David, for his wife. We used his underpants as the slingshot!

Good job it was taken on my first digital camera; Canon Powershot Pro 70, so low resolution.

LMBSGV

• Laurence Brauer
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 07:25:26 pm »

Thanks for the review. As an M262 user, I would have appreciated a comparison to the M240 and M262, the most recent Leica M digitals before the M10. Also, a comparison with the Leica SL. I can read and compare specs, but I am curious about the handling and image quality between the four of them.

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 04:52:18 am »

I've been into photography since high school, 43+ years (eek). I have always appreciated Leica and wanted to own one, but, like many, I could not afford them, so I went with Canon SLRs, then DSLRs for decades.

Three years ago, I sold off my pro Canon DSLR gear and moved to Fuji-X cameras and XF lens. I could not be happier, especially with my X-Pro2 and X-T2 bodies and assorted Fuji XF prime lenses.

That said, I'm intrigued by the new M10, but, wow, is it expensive.

Ken, since you are also a Fuji user, is the Leica really worth the cost difference, other than the bragging rights of owning a Leica?

Nice review, BTW.

Regards,
Bud James

www.budjames.photography
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 05:27:51 am »

Haven't a clue who Ken is but I can tell you the two systems are very different. One is rangefinder based, one isn't, one is full frame one isn't, one is manual focus only, one isn't...

As for bragging rights, well, if you're the kind of guy who get's his rocks off on that kind of thing then may I suggest penis enhancement?

As former Hassy 500 Series owners, with more than one version at a time, maybe we both need penis reductions?

;-)

Rob

alainbriot

• http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 04:49:14 pm »

Is the sensor on the M10 different than the sensor on the Leica M (Typ 262) ?
Alain Briot
Author of Mastering Landscape Photography
http://www.beautiful-landscape.com

algrove

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 10:02:40 am »

Never mind. It should great terrific with that old 40 Summicron you still have. Ditch the old SL.

Manoli

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 10:12:20 am »

Is the sensor on the M10 different than the sensor on the Leica M (Typ 262) ?

It's new. A Maestro processor allied to a new sensor specifically designed for the M10 - not the same as the 24MP one in the Leica Q or SL.

alainbriot

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 10:17:43 am »

It's new. A Maestro processor allied to a new sensor specifically designed for the M10 - not the same as the 24MP one in the Leica Q or SL.

Thank you that answers my question.  I think Kevin does mention that the sensor is new in his review.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 10:20:47 am by alainbriot »
Alain Briot

alainbriot

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 10:21:35 am »

Never mind. It should great terrific with that old 40 Summicron you still have. Ditch the old SL.

I still have it.  I also have a 35mm Summicron F2 still mounted on an M7.  Time to get a digital M to use it again :-)
Alain Briot

donbga

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 11:03:03 am »

Anyway, that afternoon, the doorbell rang and I opened it to a guy in a suit, who turned out to be head of sales at the distributors. He offered to deliver the car, if I'd reconsider, the following day. I was not wearing a suit myself, in fact I was wearing a sarong and not even a T-shirt. I felt a little bit undermined by my sartorial choice for the postprandial period, and so felt I had no option but to accept his offer. Oh well, I wanted that car anyway...

Rob

Sounds like in the end you liked the purchasing experience discovering it didn't suck, reminiscent of this:

That didn't suck!

Don Bryant

BAB

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 02:01:20 pm »

It might be worth a wait before jumping into the new M11 because Leica is most likely going to release more new products shortly...I have no knowledge of specific models but new products are confirmed for 2017.
I recently just disposed of all my M gear I was on board with the M system since the M8 and before that with the film versions. The cameras and lenses are workable especially the M240 with new tricked out software, image quality more the look of the file is hard to beat or get use to the look of other manufactures files compared to the Leica ones. BUT personally I got fed up with the rangefinder, so now after years of squinting they release a bigger finder BRAVO a step in the correct direction. Try using live view without a tilting screen in the street, try using the EVF on the M240 to obtain focus at 2M when someone is walking towards you. If the M shot at 10 FPS you could have a better chance. That's just my opinion.
I would rebuy a small footprint system from Leica when some of my MUST HAVE needs are met.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up