Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica M10 Review  (Read 27948 times)

Telecaster

Re: Leica M10 Review
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2017, 03:57:57 pm »

I used various M & LTM lenses on an X-E1 for awhile in 2013. Results were fine with everything 50mm and longer but kinda mediocre with wider focal lengths due to astigmatism caused by the lenses interacting with the sensor’s filter stack. This wasn’t as bad as seen with Sony’s A7/9x cameras but still… I’d agree with Kevin’s “pair Fuji cameras with X-mount lenses” recommendation.

I have the current Leica 50mm Summilux & (non-APO) Summicron, all the f/2.4 Summarits except the 50 and a bunch of older stuff too. Also the Zeiss ZM 35/1.4 Distagon. As Kevin says the current lenses are super duper wide open.

-Dave-

JV

« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2017, 09:30:20 pm »

I will make a small Facebook live video on the TL2 and SL tonight. 

Owning both I am very interested in your thoughts!

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2017, 06:58:49 am »

Kevin,

Thank you for your replies. Greatly appreciated!

I own the Fuji XT2, XPro2 and X100F along with a bunch of Fuji XF lenses. I love the f2 "Fujicron" trilogy of lenses, which I own and use most of the time. I love the Fuji system after 40 years of shooting Canon FF pro gear.

This week, I shot a bunch of images with my XPro2 with the Fuji 50mm f2 and Leica Summilux 50mm f1.4 with Fuji M Adapter. The Fuji glass images blew away the Summilux/Adapter images in terms of overall sharpness, contrast and color fidelity. There was really no comparison. I sent back the Fuji M adapter to B&H Photo for a credit.

I'm keeping the Summilux 50mm lens for when I receive my M10 and Summicron 35mm f2. Unfortunately, B&H Photo and every other dealer, have no M10s in stock and have no idea when they will. I'm on  the list though.

I use CaptureOne Pro for all imaging processing as I gave up my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription about a year ago. I'm very happy with C1P although I do miss the Print module of LR. C1P's printing capabilities are workable but not as sophisticated as LR's.

I was very disappointed to learn that Leica M file metadata does not capture the f-stop. No matter what f-stop used to make the image, C1P and others programs report the f-stop as "f 1". This is really a bummer in today's world. Is there a fix for this?

Finally, are you attending the Photo Plus Expo in NYC later this month. I go to the show every year on Friday. If you are going to be there that day, I would love to buy you a coffee (or beer) and meet you personally.

Regards,
Bud James

www.budjames.photography
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:13:34 am by budjames »
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2017, 07:33:50 am »

Bud, I’ll be in NYC from Tuesday till 1pm on Friday. Then it is home for the weekend before driving out to Utah.  I’d love to meet up.  I have a few short appointments on Friday but call me and I’ll find a place to meet and have a coffee.  3173797482. Same for anyone else that is coming to the show. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Telecaster

« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2017, 03:53:42 pm »

This week, I shot a bunch of images with my XPro2 with the Fuji 50mm f2 and Leica Summilux 50mm f1.4 with Fuji M Adapter. The Fuji glass images blew away the Summilux/Adapter images in terms of overall sharpness, contrast and color fidelity. There was really no comparison. I sent back the Fuji M adapter to B&H Photo for a credit.

Coulda been an issue with the adapter…I found all my M & LTM 50mms worked really well on the X-E1 I had. But Fuji has done a great job for sure of tuning their lenses to their cameras and vice versa.

I was very disappointed to learn that Leica M file metadata does not capture the f-stop. No matter what f-stop used to make the image, C1P and others programs report the f-stop as "f 1". This is really a bummer in today's world. Is there a fix for this?

M lenses have no way to transmit aperture info as there’s no mechanical connection between the aperture diaphragm or adjustment ring and the camera. The M240, I think, tries to guess the aperture based on ISO and shutter speed but often gets it comically wrong. (This “feature” may’ve been nixed in the latest firmware release.) I guess Leica could allow folks to optionally add f-stop values in camera to their pics…

-Dave-

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2017, 10:00:01 pm »

Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Bud James

www.budjames.photography
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2017, 11:08:09 am »

Hi,

Leica M does not physically transfer aperture settings to the camera. It can deduce aperture from measuring incident light on camera, but in many situations that information will be wrong.

The Leica M system was developed for film, it has limitations you need to live with.

Best regards
Erik

Kevin,

Thank you for your replies. Greatly appreciated!

I own the Fuji XT2, XPro2 and X100F along with a bunch of Fuji XF lenses. I love the f2 "Fujicron" trilogy of lenses, which I own and use most of the time. I love the Fuji system after 40 years of shooting Canon FF pro gear.

I'm keeping the Summilux 50mm lens for when I receive my M10 and Summicron 35mm f2. Unfortunately, B&H Photo and every other dealer, have no M10s in stock and have no idea when they will. I'm on  the list though.

I use CaptureOne Pro for all imaging processing as I gave up my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription about a year ago. I'm very happy with C1P although I do miss the Print module of LR. C1P's printing capabilities are workable but not as sophisticated as LR's.

Finally, are you attending the Photo Plus Expo in NYC later this month. I go to the show every year on Friday. If you are going to be there that day, I would love to buy you a coffee (or beer) and meet you personally.

Regards,
Bud James

www.budjames.photography
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up