Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flash to give 'Kiss of light' to architecture in dull light  (Read 996 times)

camera109

Flash to give 'Kiss of light' to architecture in dull light
« on: January 19, 2017, 12:22:30 PM »

Hi Everyone,
I am  travelling to India with a Mamiya 6 film camera and I'm going to be photographing some smaller historic buildings (all exterior shots). Mostly they will be houses set in small garden spaces. I wanted to ask if anyone has used flash to give just a "kiss of light" to part of the subject area if the ambient light is rather flat or the area of interest is in shade. I'll be travelling light with just a canon 580EX flash and maybe a couple of pocket wizards for remote triggering, a small light stand and maybe one of those push on mini soft boxes. As I'm using film, I'll be using a sekonic L-558 light meter to measure the flash at the place where I want to direct it. I've seen some examples of flash used in this way on real estate photography sites of - lots of it fairly cheesy it has to be said - and I wondered if anyone might have some tips for a subtler approach? Thanks

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
Re: Flash to give 'Kiss of light' to architecture in dull light
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 09:39:42 PM »

I have actually begun using these a lot.  They are small and light, what you see is what you get, and you can tune them to daylight or tungsten.  It comes with a slide in gel.

https://www.manfrotto.us/nbsp-6ae5ed

It's the micropro2 led light. 

Seeing the effect of the light and being able to adjust.  I use these for a lot of architectural light painting too.  Also great for portraits!
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

damntall

• Crash Course Camera
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 01:23:45 PM »

A little light kissing never hurt anyone. :-)
Cheers!

Bryan Wright
Founder, Crash Course Camera

"Whether you think you can or can't... either way, you're right." - Henry Ford

paulgrundy

• Paul Grundy
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 10:06:20 AM »

What you are talking about doing is very difficult. I would say to make it work consistently on film and without instant proofs is almost impossible. Just too many variables to try and factor in and they will change with each location and while you are shooting.

The main problem working against you all the time is that you are using 2 very different light sources. A small or even a large softbox will not make any noticeable difference. 

I would recommend using a couple of big white sheets sown together. I do not know if you have been to India before but you could ask the people where you are staying to find a couple of "assistants" to hold your reflector to bounce the available light back at the building. Their day rates will be very reasonable. Stick the sheets on canes to get extra height. You could cut a hole in the middle for the lens to poke through. As well as being a more appropriate light source you will also be able to see the effect as you shoot.

Good Luck!

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up