Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GFX And View Cameras  (Read 4041 times)

fotagf8

Fuji GFX And View Cameras
« on: January 19, 2017, 09:31:54 am »

I noticed that Fuji is offering a G Plate adapter for 4 by 5 view cameras, which would then allow for movements.  I don't know much about view cameras.  Are view cameras so standardized in terms of mounts that this adapter is truly universal?  And are there other considerations to take into account?

Thanks for any information.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1311714-REG/fujifilm_16551312_view_camera_adapter_g.html

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
Re: Fuji GFX And View Cameras
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 10:04:49 am »

I hoping this means we may also see a mount adapter to attach it to Alpa and Cambo bodies...  or maybe that's just wishful thinking...  Maybe the Actus...
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 10:05:55 am »

Color cast, at least on movements.  The 50MP chip has a huge amount of both crosstalk and magenta shift much past 5mm of shift. 

As Phase One will odds are not support this camera (which is unfortunate), you will have to rely on LR's dark frame to process a LCC and LR is nowhere to the degree that C1 is in this regard.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

fotagf8

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 10:10:21 am »

Based on my prior experience with Arca Swiss, I had planned on using LCC to deal with the issue.  I currently use CaptureOne rather than LR.  We can hope that Adobe might goose up LR capabilities if the use of movements on digital cameras becomes more widespread.  Thanks for noting the difference in quality.

fotagf8

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 10:14:25 am »

I hoping this means we may also see a mount adapter to attach it to Alpa and Cambo bodies...  or maybe that's just wishful thinking...  Maybe the Actus...

I would assume that Arca or Alpa would be the producers of the adapter rather than Fuji.  I own an Arca, and given the precision of those cameras, I suspect a lot of thought will have to go into designing the adapter. 

I might wait to see what Arca does, but I checked online and there are a lot of used view cameras for sale for next to nothing, so it might be fun to experiment.

marc aurel

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 01:30:19 pm »

I would like to extend the OPs question:
What possibilieties does the GFX offer for tilt-shift shooters (expecially for architecture in my case)? What would we need to have a capable system with all the necessary focal lengths?

1. The announced adapter plate for view cameras (http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/accessories/others/#vca) will only work for longer focal lengths. The grip of the GFX has some depth and would interfere with the adapter plate, so the adapter plate will have to have to have around 40mm or so distance to the sensor. So view camera lenses with wider focal lengths won't work because they are very close to the sensor.

2. The adapter for Hasselblad HC lenses is a great start, but it does not allow movements. BUT - if I was Cambo or Arca or Alpa, I would take the adapter apart and use the electronics (or ask Fuji if I can order it seperately from them). They could use that and combine that with their view cameras like Cambo Actus or Arca F-Universalis. Or even their pancake cameras like the Cambo WRS. They would need a cable connection between camera side and lens side of their view camera. Compard to the solution both Cambo and Arca have developed with their lens boards for Canon lenses this would have a big advantage: they could control aperture directly, from the camera, they have exif data in the files. Would be amazing. The HC 35mm would be about 28mm (in 35mm equivalent values) the HC 50mm about 40mm.

3. That are the widest usable Hasselblad lenses as far as I know - the wider ones have a smaller image circle and would not allow movements on the Fuji. So - what are the choices for wider focal lengths that I definitely need for my architectural work?

4. There are other great 645-system lenses that would work. Contax 645 or others, but the widest focal lengths are usually 35mm. Only the Phase One has an 28mm, but as far as I know it’s not that great on the outer parts of the image circle.

5. The Canon TS-Es have an image circle that allows for some movements - not as much as on the smaller sensor of a Canon full frame camera, but enough for most use cases. The TS-E 24mm L II would become a 19mm equivalent (in 35mm terms) on the GFX, the TS-E 17mm a 14mm equivalent. You could use the Canon TS-Es with a Cambo Actus or Arca Universalis. But the problem is the grip of the GFX which is quite deep. I combined product photos (scaled to the same size) to check this. Look at the attachments. It will work with the Cambo Actus with camera in landscape orientation, but not in portrait orientation. With the Arca Universalis it will probably not work at all, because the Arca lens board is wider (definiteyl not with portrait orientation). So to be able to use the TS-Es on view cameras Cambo or Arca would have to redesign their Canon lens boards. Should be possible.

6. What I would prefer is a smaller pancake camera like a narrower version of the Cambo Wide RS. Narrower beacuse it should not interfere with the camera grip. That would be the most amazing solution.

Regards -
Marc
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:38:00 pm by marc aurel »

gebseng

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 02:30:23 pm »

5. The Canon TS-Es have an image circle that allows for some movements - not as much as on the smaller sensor of a Canon full frame camera, but enough for most use cases. The TS-E 24mm L II would become a 19mm equivalent (in 35mm terms) on the GFX, the TS-E 17mm a 14mm equivalent. You could use the Canon TS-Es with a Cambo Actus or Arca Universalis. But the problem is the grip of the GFX which is quite deep. I combined product photos (scaled to the same size) to check this. Look at the attachments. It will work with the Cambo Actus with camera in landscape orientation, but not in portrait orientation. With the Arca Universalis it will probably not work at all, because the Arca lens board is wider (definiteyl not with portrait orientation). So to be able to use the TS-Es on view cameras Cambo or Arca would have to redesign their Canon lens boards. Should be possible.

I think what really would be useful is a "simple" Canon EF to Fuji G lens adapter, why bother with an Actus anyway? It would have to be electronic, to control the aperture. Flange distance should be no problem, since the GFX only has 27mm, but Canon EF has 44.

marc aurel

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 02:57:26 pm »

I think what really would be useful is a "simple" Canon EF to Fuji G lens adapter, why bother with an Actus anyway? It would have to be electronic, to control the aperture. Flange distance should be no problem, since the GFX only has 27mm, but Canon EF has 44.

You are right. A simple adapter for Canon lenses would be a good start too. But the TS-Es on the GFX alone would be too wide (the TS-E 45 is not really usable by today's standards).
I even thought of using my Canon 5DsR with the TS-Es AND the GFX with the TS-Es as a mixed system with two 50Megapixel-cameras. Would result in a good row of focal lengts 24mm / 17mm on the 5DsR, and 19mm / 14mm on the GFX fitting the gaps quite well. I'm just not sure how practical that would be.

We will see how the system develops.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 03:48:54 pm by marc aurel »

Craig Magee

• www.craigmagee.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 10:45:38 pm »

Messaged Charles at Cambo UK to see if they have any plans for a version of the Actus to take the camera, but not heard back yet.

Interesting diagram Marc, have to wait and see I guess. But Cambo do make a dumb mount. So if like me you only shoot the 24mm ts-e II at f11 then there is no rotation issue, as the dumb mount doesn't have that electronics bump at the top.

An EF to Fuji G adapter would be great though, with an EF fit Mirex/Kipon adapter you could use say Pentax 645 or Hasselblad V lenses with shifts.

Though the Actus has the advantage that stitching becomes error free.

Pentax made the first version their 25mm for the 645, with coverage for full 6x45 format. So that mounted to the Actus would mean no worry of grips clashing

Chris D

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 07:33:23 am »

Messaged Charles at Cambo UK to see if they have any plans for a version of the Actus to take the camera, but not heard back yet.

Interesting diagram Marc, have to wait and see I guess. But Cambo do make a dumb mount. So if like me you only shoot the 24mm ts-e II at f11 then there is no rotation issue, as the dumb mount doesn't have that electronics bump at the top.

An EF to Fuji G adapter would be great though, with an EF fit Mirex/Kipon adapter you could use say Pentax 645 or Hasselblad V lenses with shifts.

Though the Actus has the advantage that stitching becomes error free.

Pentax made the first version their 25mm for the 645, with coverage for full 6x45 format. So that mounted to the Actus would mean no worry of grips clashing

Is the 25mm a good lens?  I wonder what the image circle on the 28-45 is like, but don't the AF pentax lenses need an electronic connection for the aperture to work?

Craig Magee

• www.craigmagee.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 11:17:56 am »

Pentax user forums and samples I've seen online make the 25mm look good, bit aberration heavy but easy enough to correct. Most of the Pentax glass I found d to be good.

They all have mechanical apertures but some of the SDM ones don't have a ring so are controlled by the body. Cambo put a lever on the aptus mount to set it. On a Mirex/Kipon adapter it's going to be harder to do.

The second version of the lens is easier to find but might not have the image circle.

I'm interested in the 28-45 image circle as well, but thats one big old lens.

If I can figure how to preset the aperture on the Kipon adapter I might hire one to see what it's like with the A7r first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up