Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GFX: a few questions  (Read 5135 times)

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
Fuji GFX: a few questions
« on: January 19, 2017, 06:16:16 am »

I like what I've seen so far....

Maybe someone has more information than me:

How about tethering? will there be live-view tethered?

Will it work with the Cambo Actus Mini or will I have to upgrade it to the Actus DB?

Will Hasselblads HTS Adapter work with it?
How fast can the electronic shutter sync to studio flash?

Thanks

Stefan
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Re: Fuji GFX: a few questions
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 06:55:39 am »

Will it work with the Cambo Actus Mini or will I have to upgrade it to the Actus DB?

Will Hasselblads HTS Adapter work with it?

Thanks

For the Cambo Actus, which I also have, Cambo would have to make at least the camera-mount plate, and probably a plate for the lens mount as well. Cambo listens. I got them to agree to make a mount for the Pentax K1, which they did, but then I didn't keep the camera.  I doubt that the Hasselblad HTS adapter will work, either.

Stefan
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

geesbert

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 06:59:40 am »

regarding the HTS: why not? supposedly th Hasselblad H lenses (made by Fuji anyway) will even work in leaf shutter mode, so maybe there's hope for the HTS.

calindustries

• http://www.craiglacourt.com
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 09:48:53 am »

Really would be interested in proper tethering software. I work with Phase/Leaf/Canon on C1 100% of the time. Lightroom really isn't a good option for a fast moving set (at least in my experience with it). Please Phase!!!! I'd pay extra license fees to use C1pro with other medium format systems (and still use/buy your stuff too).

Chris D

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 07:43:59 am »

Really would be interested in proper tethering software. I work with Phase/Leaf/Canon on C1 100% of the time. Lightroom really isn't a good option for a fast moving set (at least in my experience with it). Please Phase!!!! I'd pay extra license fees to use C1pro with other medium format systems (and still use/buy your stuff too).

It's ironic that phase is doing the same thing that hasselblad did with the H...  Hasselblad wasn't happy about being just a camera/lens manufacturer, and phase isn't happy about being just a software developer.  Hasselblad had the best camera, and they closed the system, while phase has the best software and it's a closed system! 

geesbert

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 10:25:24 am »

It is also ironic, that the only camera maker, which offers really usable live view tethering, seems to be Canon.

Be it zoom control into the image, clarity of image, permanent on for hours without any problems (why is the latest C1 still switching off after 20 minutes?), support for tethered focus movement an more...

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 11:35:06 am »

I have a question: I have both the X1D and the GFX on order, and am leaning toward the GFX. I kinow the X1D color will be probably like other Hasselblads or perhaps better with color. What do you know about color with Fuji? Can I expect that GFX to be as perfect with color as the X1D? What do we know?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 11:41:07 am by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 09:54:34 pm »

Micheal,
I know what you're looking for is a comparison between X1D and GFX color; unfortunately, I can't provide you that. What I can say is I've been shooting with Fuji X since 2012, and one of their strong suits has alway been their color, as well as their beautiful rendering of skin tones. Fuji "knows" color; it's one of their real strengths.

Anyhoo, check out these blogs and you can get a sense of what color from the GFX will be like:
Adrian Murray blog

Jonas Rask

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 03:24:51 am »

Micheal,
I know what you're looking for is a comparison between X1D and GFX color; unfortunately, I can't provide you that. What I can say is I've been shooting with Fuji X since 2012, and one of their strong suits has alway been their color, as well as their beautiful rendering of skin tones. Fuji "knows" color; it's one of their real strengths.

Anyhoo, check out these blogs and you can get a sense of what color from the GFX will be like:
Adrian Murray blog

Jonas Rask

Yes, I see those, but aside from setting a mood, they are too dark and too saturated for me to get a good sense of what I would do with that.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 05:25:13 am »

Hi,

• EVF-lag is probably significant, but relatively short, as Fuji-s present APS-C cameras are good in this respect.
  • With EFCS the shutter lag can essentially be near zero.
  • With mechanical shutter the shutter needs to close before exposure, that adds to the lag and could cause     vibrations.
  • AF will always add a lag.

Best regards
Erik

I'd be very interested to know if the Fuji GFX suffers any significant shutter/EVF lag.
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 06:03:09 am »

Hi,

Imaging Resource indicated a difference like this for the A7r (no EFCS) and the A7rII (EFCS) both prefocused:

The Sony A7R II's prefocused shutter lag was only 0.020 second which is excellent, much better than the A7R's 0.163 second. We can thank the A7R II's electronic first-curtain shutter which is enabled by default for the much lower shutter lag (the A7R did not have an electronic first-curtain shutter option).

I would expect the same would apply for the GFX.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik,

Thanks for your reply.

Fuji have certainly delivered a range of options. I wonder if anyone has tested/reviewed the shutter options and noted the effect on Lag?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 06:07:23 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 06:06:27 am »

I'd be very interested to know if the Fuji GFX suffers any significant shutter/EVF lag.

If it happens, you notice it. None of the hands-on reports have mentioned any.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 06:09:04 am »

Hi,

I am not so sure you see it when shooting that move fast.

Best regards
Erik

If it happens, you notice it. None of the hands-on reports have mentioned any.
Erik Kaffehr

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 06:11:25 am »

Keef,

You need a holiday from the Internet and matters camera!

You are perfectly happy and fulfilled with what you have!

Repeat that line one hundred times into your mirror of choice and you will be a lot better off both spiritually and in the wallet! Trust me, at around repetition number eighty -or thereabouts - you will see a happy smile beging to appear.

Was a period, measured in years, when I both wanted to, but hated walking through the marina. Hated because of what I was never going to have, but now that's all changed to blessed relief that the associated problems are never going to be mine either! Okay, at a push, a camera won't break the bank, but the moral holds!

(Anyway, I want to handle that Leica when you do make it out here!)

;-)

Rob

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 07:09:41 pm »

Not from everything I've read, or heard on podcasts from folks that have actually used the camera. The camera is reported to be "very snappy". I've heard or read a number of first-hand accounts as well as to being impressed with the AF speed.

Acc. to Fuj X Secrets web site, the EVF refresh is about about 60 FPS, which is faster than the X-T1: "The resolution of the electronic viewfinder (EVF) appears to be higher than in the X-T2. The display is very bright, and according to Fujifilm, it will perform similar to the X-T1, which translates to a frame rate of around 60 fps and a very short display lag."

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 01:58:01 pm »

Acc. to Fuj X Secrets web site, the EVF refresh is about about 60 FPS, which is faster than the X-T1: "The resolution of the electronic viewfinder (EVF) appears to be higher than in the X-T2. The display is very bright, and according to Fujifilm, it will perform similar to the X-T1, which translates to a frame rate of around 60 fps and a very short display lag."

The X-T2 can run its EVF at 100fps in boost mode when you attach the grip. If they find a way to have a faster sensor readout, this should be possible on the GFX as well.
Instagram (updated often)

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 02:46:10 pm »

The X-T2 can run its EVF at 100fps in boost mode when you attach the grip. If they find a way to have a faster sensor readout, this should be possible on the GFX as well.

Presumably. I think I read somewhere that the refresh rate on the GXF was 80 FPS, but I may be mistaken.  The total resolution on the GXF is higher than the X-T2, likely in part due to the larger EVF.

Everyone has different needs and requirements, but after my first year of shooting my X-T1 in early 2014, I realized in early 2015, that in the entire year I shot with the X-T1, I never once thought about the fact I was using an EVF. The EVF was so good, I just never thought about it anymore.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 08:09:26 pm »

Everyone has different needs and requirements, but after my first year of shooting my X-T1 in early 2014, I realized in early 2015, that in the entire year I shot with the X-T1, I never once thought about the fact I was using an EVF. The EVF was so good, I just never thought about it anymore.

Funny how our perceptions differ. I shot a Sigma SD H one week coming from my D810, and there wasn't a single second during which I hated the EVF... although it has the same specs as that of the X-T2 or a7RII. ;)

I hope that that of the GFX will be better and it seems it is going to be the case.

Note that I am not questioning the value of an EVF, it is very efficient but I continue to think it provides a terrible shooting experience compared to a good OVF.

Cheers,
Bernard

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 09:00:39 pm »

The X-T2 in full power mode will surprise you, I have found it can even work with birds which until the X-T2 I preferred Optical view finding.

For most work, I have found I am using Liveview either on a P1 back or Nikon/Pentax.  The ability to have focus peaking on the Pentax is a plus for me especially with ultra wides. Fuji's peaking is OK, not the best IMO, but hopefully the GFX will have a good solution. 

I am sure that some will find the EVF not to their liking, but the resolution of both the EVF and LCD, especially the LCD on the GFX should be excellent at 2.4 approx dots.  I have no idea what the LCD on the P1 backs is as far as dot/resolution but so far P1 has always had the best IMO since the launch of the IQ backs, excellent resolution and touch.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 09:42:04 pm »

The X-T2 in full power mode will surprise you, I have found it can even work with birds which until the X-T2 I preferred Optical view finding.
Paul Caldwell

Yes, yes it will. It worked really well for me shooting professional motoring racing (see below). It's also impressive seeing your image and exposure before taking the picture, e.g. in Acros B&W when using the Acros B&W film preset. Plus, you can see stuff in low light you simply cannot see at all with an OVF.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up