Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax 645z IQ vs "Other MF Makers"  (Read 1342 times)

OldHickory30

Pentax 645z IQ vs "Other MF Makers"
« on: January 18, 2017, 03:52:58 pm »

Having owned Hasselblads and Phase Ones, I am thinking of returning to the medium format.
I have done much research on the 645z, and from what I see I like, however, I do have some questions / concerns.
When it comes down to it, my main goal is image quality, I shoot interior design and architecture and have seen few images as such, taken with the the 645z. Realizing, Pentax is releasing some better lenses to render the 50mp sensor, although I'm still not seeing many reviews. Considering the price difference of Hasselblads, Leafs, P1's, etc,  knowing that there will be a workflow challenge since I will be forced to leave Capture One Pro, is the 645z really worth the savings? Will capture that wide dynamic range with accurate colors?

Joe Towner

Re: Pentax 645z IQ vs "Other MF Makers"
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 06:44:58 pm »

If you want perfect colors, you need to dial in your system with a custom profile.  It's part of the trade off (not having Phocus/CaptureOne).  http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=107592.msg885019#msg885019

For your type of shooting, it comes down to if you need shift functions.  There are some Pentax 67 lenses that you can use, but in reality you may be better looking at the new Fuji with the Canon T/S lenses or the X1D with the HTS and such.

Personally I just purchased a 645z after renting it many times over the years.  The price point is such that the files beat the top end Canon/Nikon and have the high resolution.  At this point, it's also a minimal loss to purchase a used 645z (just under $5k) and flip it if you don't like it.  Live View, Focus Peaking, Sony CMOS, it's got everything most folks need.

t: @PNWMF

OldHickory30

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 06:58:36 pm »

If you want perfect colors, you need to dial in your system with a custom profile.  It's part of the trade off (not having Phocus/CaptureOne).  http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=107592.msg885019#msg885019

For your type of shooting, it comes down to if you need shift functions.  There are some Pentax 67 lenses that you can use, but in reality you may be better looking at the new Fuji with the Canon T/S lenses or the X1D with the HTS and such.

Personally I just purchased a 645z after renting it many times over the years.  The price point is such that the files beat the top end Canon/Nikon and have the high resolution.  At this point, it's also a minimal loss to purchase a used 645z (just under $5k) and flip it if you don't like it.  Live View, Focus Peaking, Sony CMOS, it's got everything most folks need.
Thats great to hear, it seems rock solid with some great reviews, alsoI really don't find myself using T/S, I usually will correct in post, if I have no other options. Have you compared the files to Hasselblads or P1's? What are you using to process?

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 08:55:51 pm »

My other/original MF is a H4D-50, so I'm multi-platform.  I do Lightroom 99% of the time, mostly because I'm not as commercial of a shooter as most.  I love what I can push/pull on the Z.  The 28-45 is one of my fav lenses, and I want to try the 25mm to see if I need to snag one while it's still around (was discontinued).

If I have the time, am working from a tripod and really want to love it, I'll shoot the Hass.  If I'm flying, skiing, or need to shoot way over base ISO, or sports, I'm using the 645z.  If I need longer glass, I'm using the 5DsR.  Fu**ing GAS...

If I want to piss off my computer, the -100c does the trick.

Here's a hand-held stitched panorama with the 645z and the 45-85mm lens.  http://www.gigapan.org/gigapans/195284
t: @PNWMF
Pages: [1]   Go Up