Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax 645z vs "other medium formats" Image Quality  (Read 2556 times)

OldHickory30

Pentax 645z vs "other medium formats" Image Quality
« on: January 18, 2017, 03:05:24 pm »

Having owned Hasselblads and Phase Ones I am thinking of returning to the medium format.
I have done much research on the 645z, and from what I see I like, however, I do have some questions / concerns.
When it comes down to it, my main concern is image quality, I shoot interior design and architecture and have seen few images as such, taken with the the 645z. Realizong Pentax is releasing some better lenses to render the 50mp sensor, although I'm still not seeing many reviews. Considering the price difference of Hasselblads, Leafs, P1's, knowing that there will be a workflow challange since, I will be forced to leave Capture One Pro, is the 645z really worth the savings?

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
Re: Pentax 645z vs "other medium formats" Image Quality
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 03:11:08 pm »

Can you do without movements or PC lenses?

OldHickory30

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 03:42:52 pm »

Can you do without movements or PC lenses?
Yes, I usually do that in post of required.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 03:48:03 pm »

Hi,

Pentax, Hasselblad and Phase One use the same 50 MP Sony sensor, so basic sensor side image quality would be the same.

I have seen a lot of excellent sample images from the Pentax. Lloyd Chambers (http://www.diglloyd.com) has tested a lot of those Pentax lenses and many of them were not so good.

The MFD camera I would be interested in is the Fuji GFX, it will probably be launched tomorrow. Why I would be interested?

• It is mirrorless
  • It has a new lens system optimised for the 44x33 mm Sony sensor
  • It has short flange distance, so it can be adopted to many lenses
  • It has a focal plane shutter that allows it to work with most lenses
  • It is said to have both electronic first curtain and full electronic shutter

The downside is that the FP shutter has long flash synchronisation times.

Best regards
Erik

Ps. I won't buy the GFX, due to the "I have neither the money nor the need" syndrome.

Having owned Hasselblads and Phase Ones I am thinking of returning to the medium format.
I have done much research on the 645z, and from what I see I like, however, I do have some questions / concerns.
When it comes down to it, my main concern is image quality, I shoot interior design and architecture and have seen few images as such, taken with the the 645z. Realizong Pentax is releasing some better lenses to render the 50mp sensor, although I'm still not seeing many reviews. Considering the price difference of Hasselblads, Leafs, P1's, knowing that there will be a workflow challange since, I will be forced to leave Capture One Pro, is the 645z really worth the savings?
Erik Kaffehr

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 05:24:12 pm »

Hi,

Pentax, Hasselblad and Phase One use the same 50 MP Sony sensor, so basic sensor side image quality would be the same.

I have seen a lot of excellent sample images from the Pentax. Lloyd Chambers (http://www.diglloyd.com) has tested a lot of those Pentax lenses and many of them were not so good.

The MFD camera I would be interested in is the Fuji GFX, it will probably be launched tomorrow. Why I would be interested?

• It is mirrorless
  • It has a new lens system optimised for the 44x33 mm Sony sensor
  • It has short flange distance, so it can be adopted to many lenses
  • It has a focal plane shutter that allows it to work with most lenses
  • It is said to have both electronic first curtain and full electronic shutter

The downside is that the FP shutter has long flash synchronisation times.

Best regards
Erik

Ps. I won't buy the GFX, due to the "I have neither the money nor the need" syndrome.

I love your syndrome: it's very similar to my own, and if © were not a problem, I'd say it was mine! Whatever, it's a syndrome that  has recently saved me from several mistakes! I love it!

;-)

Rob

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 09:14:46 pm »

The Pentax 28-45mm lens is massive, and pricey, but it is as good as anything Hasselblad (ie Fuji) or Phase make.  A number of their legacy lenses are superb too (35mm, 75mm, and 120mm).

For me i am happy. In fact i think Pentax gets better performance from the sensor than its competitors.  The only issue for me is shutter vibration. These sensors really benefit from either leaf-lenses or electronic first curtain shutter for true quality maximization.

The 645z is a great camera, a good system, and a screaming value.

Sure be nice to see a couple more new lenses.....

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up