Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Defraction Question 20D vs 5D  (Read 10663 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Defraction Question 20D vs 5D
« on: July 20, 2006, 09:32:31 pm »

I'd like to keep this thread as specific as possible. Using this defraction calculator, which most of you are familiar with, can someone shed light on the aperture setting where both cameras become defracted?

The test uses the 20D, but teh 5D is not shown. From what I get, the 5D seems to have a huge advantage in aperture sweet sopts compared to the 20D.  What do you all come up with?

Scroll down on the page for the calculator:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials...photography.htm
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 09:32:39 pm by dwdallam »

dwdallam

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 09:33:14 pm »

Forgot to add email notifications.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 01:02:42 am »

1) Smaller sensors (including film) will always diffraction limit sooner than larger ones due to the greater enlargement factor required to get to the same final image size.  

2) Smaller pixels will always diffraction limit sooner than larger ones if you use pixel diameter (or a linear function of it) instead of a fixed numerical constant for CoC.  

Combine the two and yes, the 20D will always be handicapped compared to the 5D.
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

LeifG

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 08:08:37 am »

One thing to take into account is the increased DOF from a small sensor. My guess is that it is about 1 stop (I have not seen figures, so if someone can supply them, that would be good). On that basis the 20D at F11 will have similar DOF to the 5D at F16. And a 20D at F16 will be comparable to a 5D at F22. I certainly would not want to use a lens at smaller apertures than F22. IMO the results are not good.

I believe that diffraction starts degrading the 20D image at about F16. (In the case of the D200 it is about F13, due to the higher pixel density).  

So I don't think the 20D is at a disadvantage for macro work. Apart from the smaller number of pixels of course.

Leif

bjanes

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 08:37:17 am »

1) Smaller sensors (including film) will always diffraction limit sooner than larger ones due to the greater enlargement factor required to get to the same final image size. 

2) Smaller pixels will always diffraction limit sooner than larger ones if you use pixel diameter (or a linear function of it) instead of a fixed numerical constant for CoC. 

Combine the two and yes, the 20D will always be handicapped compared to the 5D.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71349\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think that Jack's reasoning is correct, but let's look at the situation from a different perspective.

To quote from the Cambridge site: "Are smaller pixels necessarily worse? Not necessarily.  Just because the diffraction limit has been reached with large pixels does not mean the final photo will be any worse than if there were instead smaller pixels and the limit was surpassed;..."

In other words, if you had a full frame camera with the pixel size of the 20D, there would be no loss of image sharpness as compared the the 5D even at small apertures.

One situation where the 20D is not handicapped is when you are using cropped images. If you have a 5D and take a picture of a bird at some distance with a 200mm lens (assuming that lens is the only one available) and then crop the image to show the same area that the 20D captures with the same lens from the same shooting position, the 20D image will be better since the 20D has more resolution in terms of lp/mm than the 5D. Ray has shown this in a previous post.

Bill

bjanes

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 08:54:28 am »

One thing to take into account is the increased DOF from a small sensor. My guess is that it is about 1 stop (I have not seen figures, so if someone can supply them, that would be good). On that basis the 20D at F11 will have similar DOF to the 5D at F16. And a 20D at F16 will be comparable to a 5D at F22. I certainly would not want to use a lens at smaller apertures than F22. IMO the results are not good.

I believe that diffraction starts degrading the 20D image at about F16. (In the case of the D200 it is about F13, due to the higher pixel density). 

So I don't think the 20D is at a disadvantage for macro work. Apart from the smaller number of pixels of course.

Leif
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71372\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, that is for an 8 by 10 inch print with rather loose standards for resolution. If you repeat the calculation for a 16 by 20 inch print and use 20/20 vision with default viewing distance, the camera is diffraction limited at apertures smaller than f/2. However, at f/2, lens abberations will limit resolution, so you have to stop down more.

Some time ago, I performed resolution tests with my D70 and the 50mm f/1.8 lens and found that the optimum aperture was f/5.6.

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 09:42:23 am »

Some time ago, I performed resolution tests with my D70 and the 50mm f/1.8 lens and found that the optimum aperture was f/5.6.
But the bar graph clearly shows that the bar for f/2.8 is higher than that for f/5.6; why do you then conclude that f/5.6 is the optimum?
Jan

LeifG

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 10:09:31 am »

I presume that graph is on-axis measurements only? Off-axis results will be very different. See Photo Zone for examples.

Leif

Ray

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 10:42:31 am »

One situation where the 20D is not handicapped is when you are using cropped images. If you have a 5D and take a picture of a bird at some distance with a 200mm lens (assuming that lens is the only one available) and then crop the image to show the same area that the 20D captures with the same lens from the same shooting position, the 20D image will be better since the 20D has more resolution in terms of lp/mm than the 5D. Ray has shown this in a previous post.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71374\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is indeed true. The same lens from the same position will produce the same DoF whatever the format of the camera. However, if one doesn't crop the image from larger format to the same size as the smaller format, then comparing DoF can be subjectively confused by the fact that the images are different. For example, the image from the smaller format might consist only of a section of a 2-dimensional brick wall, whereas the larger format might contain the same section of brick wall plus a vast vista to the left, stretching to the horizon.

In this situation, the viewer would have no option but to declare that the larger format image had greater DoF.

For this reason, when comparing DoF of the image or print, it is only sensible to compare images of the same field of view. When we do this, the crop factor of 1.6x (in relation to the 20D and 5D) plays a role in most of the calculations. The 5D sensor is 1.6x larger in either dimension, than the 20D. The focal length of lens that produces the same FoV is therefore 1.6x longer (for the 5D) and the f stop # on the longer lens that produces the same DoF is 1.6x larger.

bjanes

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 10:46:08 am »

But the bar graph clearly shows that the bar for f/2.8 is higher than that for f/5.6; why do you then conclude that f/5.6 is the optimum?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Because the displayed chart is only for the center of the field. At full aperture, off axis MTF suffers as shown in the MTF plot on PhotoDo. Stopping down to f/5.6 improves off axis performance.

[a href=\"http://www.photodo.com/nav/prodindex.html]http://www.photodo.com/nav/prodindex.html[/url]

Slough

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 04:55:15 pm »

I prefer the summaries that Klaus on Photo Zone produces. Here are results for a sample of the Nikon F1.8 AFD lens:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/ni...50_18/index.htm

As you can see, edge performance is still improving at F8, and might well improve more at F11, though by then on-axis performance is dropping. Note that Klaus used a D200 for his measurements.

I performed some tests with a 200mm Nikon lens on a D200, and the centre and edge sharpness were superb between F4 and F11, with a tiny softening at F16. I have heard similar comments from others. Klaus has also tested the Nikon 60mm F2.8 micro lens:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/ni...60_28/index.htm

As you can see, that is good to F11, with a slight softening at F16, and a slight edge softening wide open.

"For this reason, when comparing DoF of the image or print, it is only sensible to compare images of the same field of view. When we do this, the crop factor of 1.6x (in relation to the 20D and 5D) plays a role in most of the calculations. The 5D sensor is 1.6x larger in either dimension, than the 20D. The focal length of lens that produces the same FoV is therefore 1.6x longer (for the 5D) and the f stop # on the longer lens that produces the same DoF is 1.6x larger."

Thanks for pointing out the DOF ratio.

Your paragraph is very interesting, but the first part is a little contentious, at least with my style of photography. In practice we might have a 200mm macro lens which we use on a 5D and a 20D. In that case when using the 5D we will move closer to create the 'same' image. Now of course the image is not the same, as the perspective is different. However, DOF is a function of F ratio and image magnification only. Hence in these two situations (photographing a dragonfly that fills the frame say) the smaller sensor will have the larger DOF.

This is probably a significant advantage of smaller sensors for long telephoto photos e.g. birds. Not only does the 20D have a telephoto effect, it also effectively increases DOF.  

Leif

Ray

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 09:56:51 pm »

In practice we might have a 200mm macro lens which we use on a 5D and a 20D. In that case when using the 5D we will move closer to create the 'same' image. Now of course the image is not the same, as the perspective is different. However, DOF is a function of F ratio and image magnification only. Hence in these two situations (photographing a dragonfly that fills the frame say) the smaller sensor will have the larger DOF.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71419\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dof is also a function of distance to subject. The closer you are, the shallower the DoF. If you move closer to the subject with your 200mm macro and 5D, in order to get the same FoV, then to get the same DoF as the 20D has from a greater distance with the same lens, you will have to increase the F# on the 5D by 1.6x.

This is probably a significant advantage of smaller sensors for long telephoto photos e.g. birds. Not only does the 20D have a telephoto effect, it also effectively increases DOF. 

No it doesn't. If you wish to put a fine point on it and make a sufficiently large print, the 20D shot will have less DoF. If you imagine a 5D sensor filled with the smaller 20D pixels, there'd be close to 22m of them. The 22mp 5D shot cropped to the same size as the 20D shot would be identical in every respect for whatever size print. However, the 12.8mp 5D has less resolving power than the 20D, in terms of lp/mm on the sensor, so the 20D should produce a marginally sharper result than the 5D at the point of focus, but not necessarily sharper away from the point of focus where the CoCs are greater in size than the pixels of both cameras. In this case, at a sufficiently large print size, the out-of-focus parts of the images will be equally unsharp, but the in-focus parts will be sharper in the 20D print and thus DoF will appear to be shallower.

dwdallam

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 04:47:24 am »

Yes, but the crop is a different subject. We're talking about diffraction, not pixel density at a specific mm telephoto range.

I think that Jack's reasoning is correct, but let's look at the situation from a different perspective.

To quote from the Cambridge site: "Are smaller pixels necessarily worse? Not necessarily.  Just because the diffraction limit has been reached with large pixels does not mean the final photo will be any worse than if there were instead smaller pixels and the limit was surpassed;..."

In other words, if you had a full frame camera with the pixel size of the 20D, there would be no loss of image sharpness as compared the the 5D even at small apertures.

Bill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71374\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

bjanes

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 09:15:16 am »

I prefer the summaries that Klaus on Photo Zone produces. Here are results for a sample of the Nikon F1.8 AFD lens:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/ni...50_18/index.htm

As you can see, edge performance is still improving at F8, and might well improve more at F11, though by then on-axis performance is dropping. Note that Klaus used a D200 for his measurements.

Leif
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71419\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Obviously, Klaus's full test is preferable to my limited results, but the point of my post was to show that on axis MTF decreases above f/5.6 and this is due to diffraction. Off axis performance increases with further stopping down, but this is related to reduced lens abberations outweighing the effects of increased diffraction. In practical shooting situations the choice of aperture should not be on the basis of diffraction alone, but depth of field and other considerations come into play.

Bill
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 09:18:10 am by bjanes »

Ray

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 09:42:39 am »

Obviously, Klaus's full test is preferable to my limited results, but the point of my post was to show that on axis MTF decreases above f/5.6 and this is due to diffraction. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71462\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nevertheless, Bill, your results show the Nikkor peaking at f2.8 (in the centre), falling off a bit at f4, rising again at f5.6, falling again at f8 and f11 and then falling dramatically at f16 and f22. In other words, there's quite a bit of unevenness of performance before diffraction really takes hold. What's particularly interesting is that centre performance in your tests is shown as being equal at f8 and f11.

The result for f2.8 does look suspicious. Off-axis performance is often not relevant when deliberately trying to get a shallow DoF. A lens which is sharpest at f2.8 is unusual.

bjanes

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 10:39:35 am »

Nevertheless, Bill, your results show the Nikkor peaking at f2.8 (in the centre), falling off a bit at f4, rising again at f5.6, falling again at f8 and f11 and then falling dramatically at f16 and f22. In other words, there's quite a bit of unevenness of performance before diffraction really takes hold. What's particularly interesting is that centre performance in your tests is shown as being equal at f8 and f11.

The result for f2.8 does look suspicious. Off-axis performance is often not relevant when deliberately trying to get a shallow DoF. A lens which is sharpest at f2.8 is unusual.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ray,

You are over reading the graph. With any test there is a certain amount of error. A truly sceintific plot would show bar graphs with ± 2 standard deviation markers so that you could determine if the results of two bars are significant or represent random error. Of course, to get a standard deviation you would have to make at least 10 test runs and I did not do this. I suspect that the minor differences you note are not truly significant and represent random error.

For example, look at figure 5 in the link below. If the error bars on the plot overlap, there is no significant difference between them: the green and blue bars in that example are not significantly different.

[a href=\"http://scene.asu.edu/habitat/data_present.html]http://scene.asu.edu/habitat/data_present.html[/url]

Klaus's results are a bit smoother. He may have averaged several tests. However, it is interesting to note that he notes maximum axial MTF at f/4, which reinforces my point that MTF begins to fall off at a relatively large aperture with a well corrected lens. In Klaus's tests MTF at f/2.8 was better than f/8, so the lens does do well at f/2.8. Of course, he is using the D200, which outresolves the D70 used in my test, so he may see differences that I could not.

Bill
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 10:43:28 am by bjanes »

Slough

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 12:00:39 pm »

Dof is also a function of distance to subject. The closer you are, the shallower the DoF. If you move closer to the subject with your 200mm macro and 5D, in order to get the same FoV, then to get the same DoF as the 20D has from a greater distance with the same lens, you will have to increase the F# on the 5D by 1.6x.

No it doesn't. If you wish to put a fine point on it and make a sufficiently large print, the 20D shot will have less DoF. If you imagine a 5D sensor filled with the smaller 20D pixels, there'd be close to 22m of them. The 22mp 5D shot cropped to the same size as the 20D shot would be identical in every respect for whatever size print. However, the 12.8mp 5D has less resolving power than the 20D, in terms of lp/mm on the sensor, so the 20D should produce a marginally sharper result than the 5D at the point of focus, but not necessarily sharper away from the point of focus where the CoCs are greater in size than the pixels of both cameras. In this case, at a sufficiently large print size, the out-of-focus parts of the images will be equally unsharp, but the in-focus parts will be sharper in the 20D print and thus DoF will appear to be shallower.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71437\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No DOF really is a function of F number and image magnification alone. (Assuming a fixed circle of confusion.) What you are saying is equivalent. By getting closer, you increase the image magnification, hence reduce the DOF. They are two ways of looking at the same phenomenon.

Yes of course if you take a picture of a subject with a full frame camera, and a cropped sensor camera at the same place with the same lens and F ratio, the DOF will be the same. But that is not the scenario that I described.

I'll explain again. Let's say that I photograph a dragonfly with a 5D and a 200mm lens, such that the insect fills the frame. Now let's say that I try to repeat the photograph using a 20D and the same lens at the same F ratio. Because the sensor is cropped, I must move backwards, until the dragonfly fits in the frame. Now I take the picture. Because the image is smaller, the DOF is larger. Or using your alternative and equally valid viewpoint , because I am further away from the subject, the DOF is greater.

Leif

Slough

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 12:03:45 pm »

Obviously, Klaus's full test is preferable to my limited results, but the point of my post was to show that on axis MTF decreases above f/5.6 and this is due to diffraction. Off axis performance increases with further stopping down, but this is related to reduced lens abberations outweighing the effects of increased diffraction. In practical shooting situations the choice of aperture should not be on the basis of diffraction alone, but depth of field and other considerations come into play.

Bill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71462\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I quite agree.   Leif

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 01:19:49 pm »

Yes, but the crop is a different subject. We're talking about diffraction, not pixel density at a specific mm telephoto range.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71453\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Amen!  
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 01:21:39 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2006, 01:22:45 pm »

No DOF really is a function of F number and image magnification alone. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71480\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Agree totally and that is the complete correct answer -- but keep in mind that subject distance, lens focal and sensor size all factor into image magnification.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 01:27:11 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up