Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad X1D Hands On Review  (Read 18003 times)

SCFrieze3

Re: Hasselblad X1D Hands On Review
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 03:43:32 pm »

Thank you Kevin for the review!  I do find the shut sound a bit disturbing and think that in some situations and with some subjects it would be a draw back.  Also I think the shutter lag could be a real problem as faces and conditions can change quickly!  Still I remain intrigued and open, while waiting for more grits for the mill.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 04:02:43 pm »

Please note that I boosted the sound level of the shutter during the sequence of the video where Kevin is describing the multiple click nature of the X1D shutter release. Additionally Kevin was intentionally holding the camera close to his chest-mounted lavalier microphone so that the shutter sound sequence was more audible.

Viewers should not judge the volume of the shutter noise from the video since the sound level was boosted so that viewers could hear it clearly!

I believe Kevin's main point was that the shutter has a multiple click sound and that it is hard to know exactly where within that pattern of clicks the actual capture takes place

Chris Sanderson

hubell

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 04:21:22 pm »

Does anyone happen to know as a technical matter why there would be "shutter lag" with the X1D? I use Hasselblad leaf shutter lenses with an H2 body and I have never noticed any shutter lag. Is there something about the use of leaf shutter lenses with a mirrorless camera? Obviously, this is an issue with portraits, but it can also be an issue with landscapes under certain circumstances where there is a critical moment.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 04:39:36 pm »

I am expecting to hear from Hasselblad on c few things in my review, shutter lag and sound being one of them  I'll publish what I hear from them, when I hear from them.

Also, as an update.  There does not seem to be GPS built in, at least at this time.  It looks like a GPS unit will be an add-on accessory that will attach with the accessory show.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Joseph Colson

• Joe Colson Photography
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 04:49:33 pm »

I am expecting to hear from Hasselblad on c few things in my review, shutter lag and sound being one of them  I'll publish what I hear from them, when I hear from them.

Also, as an update.  There does not seem to be GPS built in, at least at this time.  It looks like a GPS unit will be an add-on accessory that will attach with the accessory show.

On the latter point, built-in GPS, the question I would ask is "Why?" The original spec and their interview with you very clearly stated built-in GPS, hence one of the plastic parts at the top of the camera. The answer could be any one of a number of reasons - heat, power drain, space inside the camera for components, firmware, cost - but it feels to me like a feature Hasselblad has decided to leave out AFTER the initial announcement and the subsequent marketing effort at Photokina. I'd also ask if there are other features that have been omitted or modified from the original specification. Thanks.

SCFrieze3

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 08:14:45 am »

Please note that I boosted the sound level of the shutter during the sequence of the video where Kevin is describing the multiple click nature of the X1D shutter release. Additionally Kevin was intentionally holding the camera close to his chest-mounted lavalier microphone so that the shutter sound sequence was more audible.

Viewers should not judge the volume of the shutter noise from the video since the sound level was boosted so that viewers could hear it clearly!

I believe Kevin's main point was that the shutter has a multiple click sound and that it is hard to know exactly where within that pattern of clicks the actual capture takes place

Chris Sanderson

Thank you for the additional information.  I'll have to hear again in person!

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 11:30:02 am »

from the video .... "announced over a year ago" ?   I'm sure to some it feels like that, but June 22 2016 was not over a year ago.
--
David Mantripp

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 11:45:29 am »

Yes, June 22nd was right.  But in an interview I did with Perry it was hinted at and the rumor mill was going.  In any case when speaking in front of the video it sometimes comes out to when it was first discussed.  The article states the dates correctly.  Sorry for any confusion.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

NickT

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 03:28:45 pm »

On the latter point, built-in GPS, the question I would ask is "Why?" The original spec and their interview with you very clearly stated built-in GPS, hence one of the plastic parts at the top of the camera. The answer could be any one of a number of reasons - heat, power drain, space inside the camera for components, firmware, cost - but it feels to me like a feature Hasselblad has decided to leave out AFTER the initial announcement and the subsequent marketing effort at Photokina. I'd also ask if there are other features that have been omitted or modified from the original specification. Thanks.

GPS was always intended to be built in but the way the camera body is made apparently meant that the unit could not reliably get a signal despite the plastic part. This is why it is now a separate unit.

etto1972

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 03:34:00 pm »

Here the GPS module!!
Picture taken from the Hasselblad website

Joseph Colson

• Joe Colson Photography
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 03:53:00 pm »

GPS was always intended to be built in but the way the camera body is made apparently meant that the unit could not reliably get a signal despite the plastic part. This is why it is now a separate unit.

Here the GPS module!!
Picture taken from the Hasselblad website

Thanks guys. Looks unobtrusive enough. Now I can calm down and wait for my camera. Only about 7 months and counting since my pre-order.

tintoreto

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 05:16:40 pm »

Why isn't it possible to set the copyright information in the camera...?!

hubell

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 07:00:05 pm »

Chris Sanderson

On the issue of shutter lag. The X1D works with strobes. Has anyone checked to see if the strobes fire instantaneously upon depressing the shutter?

tintoreto

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2017, 02:15:09 pm »

Yes the strobes fire instantaneously upon depressing the shutter.

Joseph Colson

• Joe Colson Photography
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2017, 02:17:56 pm »

I received the shipping notice from B&H on the camera (ordered on June 23) and all three lenses.  ;D

No spare battery yet though. Backordered.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2017, 02:52:32 pm »

If you are in TTL strobe mode that could be the pre-flash.  Make sure you are shooting in manual flash to evaluate where the flash fires with relation to the actual picture being taken.

hubell

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2017, 03:00:39 pm »

Then how can there be shutter lag? Wouldn't the flash be off by the time the exposure was made if there were a delay?

elundqvist_photo

• Portfolio
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2017, 03:12:20 pm »

I really wish Hasselblad would be a bit more open about their lens roadmap.

Because this post https://plus.google.com/116458677975033889029/posts/NdVHsqGuKJa has made me paranoid I have to splash out on a H lenses as well!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 03:15:24 pm by elundqvist_photo »

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2017, 05:40:34 pm »

Then how can there be shutter lag? Wouldn't the flash be off by the time the exposure was made if there were a delay?
Because you can't do it with TTL flash on and get any information since in TTL there is a preflash at shutter button trip that preceeds the main flash firing - most people have too much image latency in their eyes to discern the pre-pulse from the main pulse.  This is why I said you have to do it in manual flash to determine when the image is being taken as there is no pre-flash.

hubell

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2017, 07:13:23 pm »

Because you can't do it with TTL flash on and get any information since in TTL there is a preflash at shutter button trip that preceeds the main flash firing - most people have too much image latency in their eyes to discern the pre-pulse from the main pulse.  This is why I said you have to do it in manual flash to determine when the image is being taken as there is no pre-flash.

So if you tested it with manual flash and there was no delay in the flash being triggered, presumably there should be no delay in the shutter being tripped.
Thanks. Hopefully somebody will test it. It would be very helpful to know if this is really an issue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up