Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cambo Actus + A7RII: lenses, samples, questions..  (Read 4860 times)

asmartkid

Cambo Actus + A7RII: lenses, samples, questions..
« on: January 16, 2017, 11:07:00 am »

Hi,
I recently had in mind buying into MF from my current 5d2 + TS lenses setup, but as a relatively newcomer to professional architectural photography I couldn't justify myself the initial expense. Also, I have grown used to the fast pace of working with the 5D mk2 + TS lenses offers. In any case, I wanted to step up and get a system with the capabilities of a tech cam or view cam, so the Cambo, paired with the 42Mpx Sony A7r II, was a obvious choice for me after all.

I would like to share some samples and offer my help to anyone who is interested in this topic, as sometimes I have found hard to get quality information on this system beforehand. Also, feel free to share your experiences, lens tests, etc. on this topic or similar ones (like the Arca Swiss Universalis).

Let's start with two samples (PLEASE, USE THE DROPBOX DOWNLOAD BUTTON)

Sony A7R II + Pentax 645 35mm, pano using 6 pictures: shift: 18mm left - 18mm right. rise/fall: 0-10mm fall

Sony A7R II + Rodenstock 60mm WA, pano using 6 pictures: shift 20mm left - 20mm right, rise/fall 0-10mm fall

As an architectural photographer, I'm really impressed with this system and the results you can get with relatively old lenses such as these. Also, it adds a enjoyment component I've always feel lacking in my previous DSLR-based setup.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 01:09:26 pm by asmartkid »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Cambo Actus + A7RII: lenses, samples, questions..
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 02:29:07 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for sharing!

I have been using the A7rII with a HCam Master TS II tilt and shift adapter with the Canon 16-35/4L, Contax 28-85/3.3-4 and the Contax 35-135/3.3-4.5. A very capable system…

Best regards
Erk

Hi,
I recently had in mind buying into MF from my current 5d2 + TS lenses setup, but as a relatively newcomer to professional architectural photography I couldn't justify myself the initial expense. Also, I have grown used to the fast pace of working with the 5D mk2 + TS lenses offers. In any case, I wanted to step up and get a system with the capabilities of a tech cam or view cam, so the Cambo, paired with the 42Mpx Sony A7r II, was a obvious choice for me after all.

I would like to share some samples and offer my help to anyone who is interested in this topic, as sometimes I have found hard to get quality information on this system beforehand. Also, feel free to share your experiences, lens tests, etc. on this topic or similar ones (like the Arca Swiss Universalis).

Let's start with two samples (PLEASE, USE THE DROPBOX DOWNLOAD BUTTON)

Sony A7R II + Pentax 645 35mm, pano using 6 pictures: shift: 18mm left - 18mm right. rise/fall: 0-10mm fall

Sony A7R II + Rodenstock 60mm WA, pano using 6 pictures: shift 20mm left - 20mm right, rise/fall 0-10mm fall

As an architectural photographer, I'm really impressed with this system and the results you can get with relatively old lenses such as these. Also, it adds a enjoyment component I've always feel lacking in my previous DSLR-based setup.

Enjoy!
Erik Kaffehr

wallpaperviking

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 02:48:58 pm »

Good work!  Very interesting indeed!

Any chance of providing any sharpening that you have done to the image?

asmartkid

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 04:21:43 pm »

Good work!  Very interesting indeed!

Any chance of providing any sharpening that you have done to the image?

Better than showing settings, I leave you here a DNG stitched from the six pictures (139 Mpx!!)

Cambo Actus + A7R II + Rodenstock 60mm WA (DNG version)

Regards,

wallpaperviking

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 05:49:45 am »

Wow! Very cool indeed!

Makes me want to get an Actus!

Any chance of sharing the Pentax 35mm Stitch as well in higher resolution?

These have been sharpened and played with a bit right?  Not just straight out of camera?

Any chance of sharing the settings?

Also, do you know what the image circle of the 60mm is?  Looks pretty impressive to my eyes :)

asmartkid

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 03:41:39 pm »

Wow! Very cool indeed!

Makes me want to get an Actus!

Any chance of sharing the Pentax 35mm Stitch as well in higher resolution?

These have been sharpened and played with a bit right?  Not just straight out of camera?

Any chance of sharing the settings?

Also, do you know what the image circle of the 60mm is?  Looks pretty impressive to my eyes :)

I recommend you to play with the DNG file as it doesn't have any sharpness applied by me other than what Lightroom or C1 will apply by default. The JPG first posted did have some degree of sharpness applied by me, but can't remember exactly the settings, so better going directly to the stitched dng.

I seem to remember the image circle for the 60mm WA is around 60mm, but don't take my word on it... in any case, more than enough for the Cambo Actus 20mm maximum shift.

And a bonus, Cambo Actus + Sony A7R II + Pentax 645 35mm (see shift settings on previous posts)

I hope to do similar tests for the Canon 17mm TS and some other Rodenstock enlarger lenses soon...

Also, feel free to share samples and lens opinions with this system.

Enjoy

wallpaperviking

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 08:42:39 pm »

Thanks so much once again!  Really very helpful!

I wish that there was a Contax 645 adapter for the Cambo Actus as this would really fill in the gaps..

Are all enlarger lenses in the longer focal length range?  Anything sitting about the 30mm - 40mm range?  Or is the Pentax 645 35mm the way to go?

Thanks again, look forward to any further tests or samples you may provide :)

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 08:55:24 pm »

Just to throw my 2 cents in... I've been really happy with the Contax 35 PC on my Sony.  Plenty image circle, crazy sharp with a little distortion, but manageable to correct.

wallpaperviking

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 09:47:58 pm »

Thanks Chris, is that mounted directly or is that using it on your Universalis?

It has a manual aperture right?

Wonder how it would fair on the new Fuji GFX?  Still enough image circle to be useable in your daily architectural work?

wallpaperviking

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 09:50:11 pm »

Also, any issues with using filters on it?  I though it had some issue with needing a separate piece, or something like that, that was very rare and hard to find?

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 09:28:18 am »

They came up with this odd tension-fit filter ring.  I just made sure to buy a copy that had one.  I've used it on the Metabones (with a Contax to Eos adapter) and the view camera.  It does have a manual aperture, which is a plus. 

I've gone back to my Mf2 and am probably selling the Universalis.

I believe Paul has used this glass and the Pentax and liked the Pentax (the newer one?) a  bit more.  I'd also be curious about the Contax 645 35mm.

BobDavid

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 01:04:31 pm »

Actus + Rodenstock Rodagon WA 60 + Sony A7r is a super duper setup. The WA 60 is sharp, contrasty, and provides true flat-field focus. It is well-corrected: virtually no CA, linear distortion. It is sharp edge to edge.

Other outstanding lenses (all work with the "0" M39 lensboard): Rodenstock Rodagon APO 80/4 N, EL-Nikkor 105/5.6 N, and the latest version of the Rodenstock Rodagon 135/5.6.

The EL-Nikkor 105 f/5.6 N is often listed on eBay. It's a bargain.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:48:56 pm by BobDavid »

Weldon Brewster

• http://www.weldonbrewster.com
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 12:11:17 pm »

Hey Chris, I found a new old stock Contax PC-Distagon 35mm in Japan and had it converted permanently to an EOS mount.  It works great on my Cambo Actus.  I used SK Grimes for the conversion.  I think it's a better solution than the Metabones C/Y adapter.
Weldon Brewster
www.weldonbrewster.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up