Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Camera You Have With You  (Read 4116 times)

mecrox

• My Online Portfolio
The Camera You Have With You
« on: January 16, 2017, 09:02:40 am »

Interesting new direction for the site? There are some arresting images and I greatly appreciate the links to various photographers. That is helpful backgrounding. Try as I might, though, I just can't reconcile myself to smartphone photography as something in itself rather than as a quick record, memo to self or candid of a family moment. I enjoy taking my time with a dedicated camera albeit a smaller one and accepting that I'll be passing up a lot of shots because I'll just be looking for the few which work a bit more slowly. Perhaps it's just age in my case or perhaps I like the whole ceremonial, the prep and the settings which somehow become part of the process and make the result, if it works, something more than a snap. There are some very talented smartphone photographers out there, though. I like the historian and travel writer William Dalrymple's book The Writer's Eye, all created on a smartphone. He's written well on black-and-white smartphone photography, too. That's what this might need, people from outside the photography world making a strong case. Dalrymple sees his smartphone as the modern equivalent of the classic Leica 35mm.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:17:07 am by mecrox »
Mark @ Flickr

Peter McLennan

Re: The Camera You Have With You
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 11:43:13 am »

If by that you mean "Why not have a 'phones-only' forum, I agree.  Excellent idea.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 12:30:57 pm »

The photography community is large and diverse.  There is room for everyone.

Shoot with what you want and how you want  ;)
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 03:08:31 pm »

I should have said "topic", not forum.  LuLa is the forum.  Cellphones Only would be a new topic.  I still think it would be a very interesting topic to isolate and discuss.

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 03:13:55 pm »

But er, surely there is already the "iPhone and Mobile Photography" topic ?  One of the least active on the site, in fact....
--
David Mantripp

david loble

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 03:47:39 pm »

The enjoyment of the process of making a photograph that the OP describes is very important. But in mid-November last year I replaced my iPhone 5s with a 7 and I am hooked on the quality that machine produces and I now put the 7 into a pocket whenever I go out without a "normal" "real" camera. It has replaced the Fuji X100T I used to carry on my walks in the neighborhood, for one thing.

David

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 06:41:25 pm »

But er, surely there is already the "iPhone and Mobile Photography" topic ?  One of the least active on the site, in fact....

I'll be darned.  I should learn to read better.  Thanks, David.  By the lack of traffic there, I'd have to conclude that it was a dumb idea anyway.  ::)

Otto Phocus

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 07:48:10 am »

I'll be darned.  I should learn to read better.  Thanks, David.  By the lack of traffic there, I'd have to conclude that it was a dumb idea anyway.  ::)

Not a dumb idea at all.  However, the topic of a thread is not sufficient to ensure participation.  There has to be posts that garner interest and discussion.  That's why threads die off.

If you feel strongly about this, start writing interesting posts in that thread and see if you can garner the interest of other members.

Good luck with it.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 09:29:36 am »

I have dabbled with phone art, and it can be a lot of time. I know I personally used to think of phones as only for quick documentation and not for more serious work, but once I changed my attitude things changed and it did help me even with my regular photography. As has been said a lot is that the more time you spend looking and shooting the better your ability to "see" becomes. So it is not just Apple phones. I shoot with a Galaxy S7 for some different kind of shots, Android has had raw formats for years, Apple is now finally catching up. The S7 has really great resolution and great images can come from it. I shot with the iPhone 6 original version and still have that but the S7 blows it out of the water with much better IQ. Some of the camera apps on Android I think are better, live rgb histograms etc.

However if you are going to process and do more artsy work I find that using the iPad and the greater selection of art type apps is a lot easier. There are more of those type apps on Android but not the selection that are on the iPad. So I shoot with the S7 process the raws on my computer than sync with the iPad and then play.

It is quite refreshing, a different world and a different type of creativity. Try it.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 12:55:07 pm »

Bottom line...

"It's not what you've got, it's what you do with what you've got."

The sooner photography becomes camera-agnostic the better. In many (most) situations, it's the seeing that counts, not what you shot it with. Yes there are situations that demand an $x000 lens or body, but by far the majority of even the best photographs are equipment independent to a large degree.

Perhaps the modern-day Weegee would say, "iPhone and be there." Not to disparage him, as he was certainly at the forefront of his craft and art, but even the "lowly" iPhone will capture what Weegee did nowadays. Just take a look at his set-up: Speedgraphic w/flash. Single focal length. Hmmm sounds like an iPhone to me. Have a look at this article on controlling an iPhone.

Interesting for me as I don't own a mobile phone.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 01:06:05 pm »

You may be interested in this article I posted a while back.  My friend Paul who has owned every camera imaginable is pretty much shooting exclusively with an iPhone.  His work is amazing.  He as well as Rad have pushed be to see what the iPhone can do. 

https://luminous-landscape.com/silo-city-again-challenging-yourself-to-see-different/
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 01:40:45 pm »

Maybe it just needs better marketing?
-MattB

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 08:57:30 pm »

Okay then.  Here is a an only camera I have with me shot.  Galaxy S6.  Three image stitch. Waiting for the fireworks, Vancouver.  Summer 2016. Absent my phone, I`d have nothing.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:18:27 pm by Peter McLennan »

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 04:59:14 pm »

Sadly I lost my go-to adventure camera setup last weekend. It was a Pentax K-S2 and 18-135 lens. Nothing all that special but solid while not heavy, weatherproof, and it fit in my ski jacket pocket with a little bit of camera bag padding. IQ was good enough for the kind of stuff I shot with it.
Unfortunately it fell into the snow on a very steep pitch when I fell trying to get a shot of some guys jumping off big boulders. I fear it fell into the crevices between rocks under the 100+ Inches of new snow. I looked for over an hour and had to give up and leave. :(

Here's one of the last images taken a few days before.
IMGP7021-Edit by Matt Burt, on Flickr
-MattB

damntall

• Crash Course Camera
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 01:30:19 pm »

OMG, I LOOOOOOVE my phone for creating awesome shots on the fly. The answer to that age old mountaineering question "what's the best camera for climbing?" is exactly the topic of this thread. The one you have with you. Love it.
Cheers!

Bryan Wright
Founder, Crash Course Camera

"Whether you think you can or can't... either way, you're right." - Henry Ford

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 12:13:15 pm »

Sadly I recently lost that camera and lens while out skiing. I fell, dropped it onto deep snow on a steep pitch and didn't realize it for maybe 5 seconds and then it was just gone. :(
At least it was a relatively inexpensive one.
-MattB
Pages: [1]   Go Up