Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what about bigger fonts on the interface for HighRes monitors ?  (Read 3281 times)

zobelaudio

• zobeleye.com
what about bigger fonts on the interface for HighRes monitors ?
« on: January 15, 2017, 03:37:59 pm »

Hi guys,
i am using the Eizo CG 318 and in the best resolution mode 4096x2160, that gives me zooming to check for sharpening and details, the interface fonts are painfully small. I have to go to 3200x1800 to get decent viewable size interface.But then I loose zooming in.
Is there any other way around this ?
will they change that in LR7 ?
best
Stephan

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: what about bigger fonts on the interface for HighRes monitors ?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 04:03:06 pm »

Hi guys,
i am using the Eizo CG 318 and in the best resolution mode 4096x2160, that gives me zooming to check for sharpening and details, the interface fonts are painfully small. I have to go to 3200x1800 to get decent viewable size interface.But then I loose zooming in.
Is there any other way around this ?
will they change that in LR7 ?
best
Stephan

Windows or Mac?

zobelaudio

• zobeleye.com
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 06:06:44 am »

Mac all the way...

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 06:30:44 am »

Preferences / Interface / Font Size ?

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 06:59:17 am »

Mac all the way...

To get a sharp image view at 100% view or 1:1 you need to set the "looks like" resolution in the monitor scaling preferences to exactly half the screen resolution. This means in your case 2048x1080. This is a MacOS design for highDPI monitors and not something Lightroom will change. If you look at the computers and peripherals forum you will find a number of threads on this.

zobelaudio

• zobeleye.com
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 01:27:43 pm »

Hi John,
nope, already at large and not usable.
Thanks Hans for the tip,
will check it out...
cheers
Stephan

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 11:04:45 pm »

For many hiDPI displays, the OS and the applications manage this.  You pick a resolution in your display preferences to make everything look good (usually 50% off the native, that's what the OS will probably recommend).  Lr and Ps detect this, and use this resolution for everything but the image itself, where they use displays native resolution. Many are not aware of this so they think they need to go to full native resolution to take advantage of all those pixels.

But I also am not sure if there are issues with the OS detecting the presence of a hiDPI display with some 4K monitors. It's pretty easy to test, set up your display for a comfortable working resolution in the OS preferences (try 50% of the native, this will appear the "sharpest).   Open  a small jpeg (around 1200 pixels) in Photoshop and view it at 100%.  If everything is working correctly it should look considerably smaller than you are expecting. To see it at "normal" size you have to zoom to 200%.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 06:14:14 am »

For many hiDPI displays, the OS and the applications manage this.  You pick a resolution in your display preferences to make everything look good (usually 50% off the native, that's what the OS will probably recommend).  Lr and Ps detect this, and use this resolution for everything but the image itself, where they use displays native resolution. Many are not aware of this so they think they need to go to full native resolution to take advantage of all those pixels.

But I also am not sure if there are issues with the OS detecting the presence of a hiDPI display with some 4K monitors. It's pretty easy to test, set up your display for a comfortable working resolution in the OS preferences (try 50% of the native, this will appear the "sharpest).   Open  a small jpeg (around 1200 pixels) in Photoshop and view it at 100%.  If everything is working correctly it should look considerably smaller than you are expecting. To see it at "normal" size you have to zoom to 200%.

If you go to the Computers and Peripherals forum section you will several threads about this and where I have explained how it works on the Mac.

zobelaudio

• zobeleye.com
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 02:36:28 pm »

Thanks so much Hans, genius...
now everything is nice and big and it's a joy to use.
cheers
Stephan
Pages: [1]   Go Up