Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will the P5000 finally be the one?  (Read 1921 times)

Caslon

Will the P5000 finally be the one?
« on: January 15, 2017, 03:02:35 pm »

First, let me say that I've had a lot of Epson printers, currently 2X -P9000, 2X-9900, 2X-3880's.
Still looking the printer I can load 25 sheets of 200gsm to 300gsm rag paper in and have it print them all without a mis-feed.

You would think that guys like me that want to print in volume would get Epson's ear but for some reason the challenge is either too great or just not important.

Can't wait to see Marks P5000 review, hope he test this aspect of the new machine.

G

André Denis

Re: Will the P5000 finally be the one?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 05:07:37 pm »

Hello G,

Could you comment on your P9000 versus your 9900 regarding to clogging? How often do you find missing nozzles on the P9000 compared to the 9900? Any changes, improvements?

Thank you and regards

Caslon

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 06:08:50 pm »

The first P9000 is about a year old, and one is new. We did have a weird problem with the P9000 that we thought was a head issue but at the end of the day it was a pump motor that was very hard to diagnose. One of the 9900's required a new head. But really no significant difference that I can tell.
In my opinion you would be crazy to have one of these printers without a service contract.

G

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 06:57:26 pm »

.............Can't wait to see Marks P5000 review, hope he test this aspect of the new machine.

G

It will be a while before I have a chance to review this printer because there are none available for reviewing yet - at least in North America. I shall be interested in testing the feed mechanisms as part of the process, but details remain to be determined.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Garnick

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 08:54:45 pm »

The first P9000 is about a year old, and one is new. We did have a weird problem with the P9000 that we thought was a head issue but at the end of the day it was a pump motor that was very hard to diagnose. One of the 9900's required a new head. But really no significant difference that I can tell.
"In my opinion you would be crazy to have one of these printers without a service contract".

G

I could not agree more with the last sentence above.  When I took possession of the 9900 in April 2010 I started an issue log, due to previous reports on this site.  Within the first year I had decided to extend the warranty by one year, and within the first year and a half the cost of the service calls and parts would have paid for the printer.  Therefore I again extended the warranty for a third and final year.  Since printing is my business I looked at the warranty cost as an insurance policy and part of doing budiness, one that helped me sleep at night, knowing that my back was covered.  By the end of the second warranty year the printer seemed to be close to issue free, and of course we were all learning and sharing information critical to the proper maintenance and care of the printer, which also gave me a feeling of security as the final warranty year came to an end.  The 9900 proved to be an excellent printer once the bugs were taken care of, and actually that's what warranties are all about.  You buy a NEW vehicle and spend a lot of time at the dealership within the first year, while they finish building it.  On some level the analogy is definitely applicable.  I will soon be moving my business to my home and downsizing to a P7000.  Even though I have read some very good reports here about the "P" series printers(Wayne Fox for instance), I will probably still follow my instinct and extend the warranty to its limit.  I'm in my 70th year and I need my sleep.  What more can I say?  ;)

Gary   

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

André Denis

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 11:55:01 pm »

In my opinion you would be crazy to have one of these printers without a service contract.

G

Thank you Caslon and Gary. I will certainly follow your advice.  I already lost the bet on my 7900, i will buy the extended warranty, keep a log, nozzle checks, and keep Epson constantly aware of the 'working state' of the printer. :).
Sorry to have piggy backed on your main question.   Regards.

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 08:48:55 am »

My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.

howardm

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 10:40:39 am »

I have a call into ITSupplies about that and am waiting to hear back.

The girl said their inventory system is not showing a warehouse for the item which may well indicate it's not really 'ready to sell/ship'.

howardm

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 10:55:38 am »

The ITSupplies Epson product manager said 'we expect to have them by end of first week of Feb.  Sorry about the web page indicating otherwise, we'll get that fixed.'

Pages: [1]   Go Up