Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Piccure + vs Sharpen Projects and Focus Magic  (Read 2231 times)

myotis

Piccure + vs Sharpen Projects and Focus Magic
« on: January 15, 2017, 12:01:18 pm »

Some one here mentioned they had compared these and preferred Sharpen project - I can't find the post now.

I have tried Piccure + on a Nikon 1 file (fishing village harbour with houses and gardens) and found it incredibly effective at bringing out fine detail compared to C1, even when using a TIFF created by C1. e.g. small yellow blobs in the TIFF are rebuilt by Piccure +  into smaller yellow blobs that represent individual flowers. It also evens out the sharpness/detail right across the frame and out to the corners of the image.

Topaz InFocus just seem to sharpen the blobs, rather than bringing out fine detail, so Piccure + seems to be doing something clever, and makes a very noticeable difference. 

The downside is that, at this early stage of learning to use  Piccure +, I am also getting horrible artefacts in the sky, and haloing.  So, I haven't got the settings right yet, even though I thought I was turning everything down pretty low.  But still a while to go with the learning. 

Do all these program work the same way? Should I expect this enhanced detail from all three. I didn't actually expect this increase in detail, I just expected better sharpness and delineation of the detail I could already see, which is what InFocus seems to be doing.

I know Focus Magic is popular, but Sharpen Projects is barely mentioned anywhere (but its difficult to search for because of its name). I know that there have been a few threads on this, but was hoping there might have been some updates on experiences with Sharpen Projects.

Thanks,

Graham

myotis

Re: Piccure + vs Sharpen Projects and Focus Magic
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am »

To reply to myself, and although I and still interested in an update on Sharpen Projects, some of what I have asked is covered in this existing thread  http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=107311.0

For some reason, I didn't find this thread the first time round.

Cheers,

Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up