Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on Leaf Shutters  (Read 1678 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Question on Leaf Shutters
« on: January 15, 2017, 10:51:28 am »

Not sure whether to post here or in lenses, but to shutters are camera features, so here it is. I am trying to decide whether to get the new Hasselblad X1D (if it indeed arrives) or the Fuji GFX. I am familiar with focal-plane shutters from my DSLRs, etc., but not the “leaf shutter” that is in the lenses for the X1D?

My understanding is that the leaf shutter is most valuable for being able to synch with flashes at higher rates than 1/125 of a second. I have no strobe lights, but I do have some Nikon flashes. I never (hardly ever) use flash at all. I tend to use all constant lighting, so my questions are:

(1) How do I use the leaf-shutter lenses at higher rates to get greater DOF. And how valuable is that?

(2) Are there any pluses for using leaf-shutters for constant lighting or just for the kind of still-life photography work that I do? In other words, aside for flash are leaf shutters of any fvalue?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
Re: Question on Leaf Shutters
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 11:22:14 am »

Leaf shutters are limited at short times in comparison to focal plane shutters. Also they start to open from the center, with light hitting the sensor from the first moment, so applying their shortest time it might even have a little "aperture effect". Their big plus besides being able to provide faster strobe sync is they don´t suffer from the rolling shutter effect which can be critical with moving objects. Regarding the greater DOF, just use a ND filter, this is very common in cinema and also works for stills.

Cheers,
Ulf

landscapephoto

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 01:46:59 am »

An other advantage is that leaf shutters produce very little vibration.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 02:28:31 am »

Yes,

But it seems that the Fuji GFX does have both electronic shutter and electronic first shutter curtain (EFCS). Both these techniques eliminate shutter vibration, essentially (EFCS) or fully (ES).

When the GFX is used without EFCS/ES the focal plane shutter needs to be closed before exposure. That means a significant delay and significant vibration.

With EFCS the GFX doesn't need to close the shutter before exposure, so response time would be extremely fast.

EFCS doesn't work well with very short shutter times, like 1/2000s.

ES does not use a second curtain, it does a sweeping reset followed by a sweeping readout. The sweep rate is limited by the readout speed. The Sony A7rII has around 1/14s sweep time the IQ3 100MP has over one second, but even so it seems to be extremely useful. Yes, both will distort objects that are large enough and move fast enough.

Best regards
Erik

An other advantage is that leaf shutters produce very little vibration.
Erik Kaffehr

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 05:40:57 pm »

Love leaf shutters - no vibration. Smaller and lighter mounting and tripod requirements. Slight variations in shutter speed for some Copals (for example) can be dealt with in post processing; the lighter weight is irreplaceable. 
Geoff

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 06:00:09 pm »

From my own use of ES, on both Fuji and Phase, the subject needs to be moving across the frame, at a pretty high rate of speed, like a car or person walking to get the rolling shutter effect.  You can also get it panning/video, but that doesn't apply to the P1.  Leaves, in motion, water in motion, no problems.  In a few instances in high wind I have seen a few branch moving issues, but they are rare.  It's really a great feature. 

On the XF, the leaf shutter solution to me is not as vibration free, due to the mirror, even with mirror up.  It's just better to fire the ES.

I am sure on the X1D, that the leaf shutter Hasselblad glass will work very well as there is no shutter at all on the X1D. 

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

landscapephoto

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 02:44:13 am »

On the XF, the leaf shutter solution to me is not as vibration free, due to the mirror, even with mirror up.  It's just better to fire the ES.

The mirror moves on the XF even when it is raised? I don't understand.

On the H4D I have, once the mirror is raised, nothing moves and one can even take several pictures just with the central shutter and without moving the mirror (that option has to be chosen in the menus once).

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 03:32:46 am »

Same on the XF

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p
Pages: [1]   Go Up