Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: minimalism 2  (Read 1613 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
minimalism 2
« on: January 14, 2017, 02:01:06 pm »

Heartened by the response to my first effort, I though I'd try again. Comments?

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: minimalism 2
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 02:07:04 pm »

More good stuff. Good shooting, Jeremy. Careful. Don't fall in.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 02:18:50 pm »

I like this one better, for whatever that personal response is worth... Possibly because tt conjures up associations with Buddhist caligraphy.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 03:26:18 pm »

When I was about sixteen, I discoverd that I could do that in the snow quite easily, and it would usually turn a yellowish-green. Of course, it was a high-risk trick in the circumstances. (No near pun intended.)

I might have discovered this at an earlier age, but as I saw no snow between the ages of eight and sixteen, I can't honestly say.

;-)

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 01:00:21 am »

I like this one, too, Jeremy. You're onto a good thing, methinks.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Tony Jay

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 02:44:06 am »

Jeremy - I had a look at both images that you posted.

You are definitely onto something here.
These images definitely show that less can be more!

Perhaps my only nit - and I readily acknowledge that this is a matter of personal preference - is that I would like to see a bit more detail in the snow.

I could imagine a large print of either image in a boardroom or corporate foyer somewhere causing a bit of a stir!
Congratulations!

Tony Jay

francois

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 11:46:31 am »

Keep them coming, I like the concept. FWIW, I slightly prefer this one over minimalism 1.
Good job!
Francois

John R

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 12:08:51 am »

I like this one too, Jeremy. It is striking. But it is not as clean an abstract as the first image. On the mid right side is a subtle shady line that draws your eye away and to the border. At the top are more subtle shady areas that are very strong and draw your eye precisely because everything else is white. Since you have a square format, I think a better balance for placing the snake curve would be between the the top two shady areas. The top right shaded area, in particular draws my eyes away from the direction of snake curve. But I am sure that since I was not there, you have reasons for choosing that composition.

JR

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 03:41:14 am »

When I was about sixteen, I discoverd that I could do that in the snow quite easily, and it would usually turn a yellowish-green. Of course, it was a high-risk trick in the circumstances. (No near pun intended.)

If you could have created something of that size, Rob, I'd have been seriously impressed!

Tony, John R: fair points. I don't want too much detail in the snow (it's supposed to be minimalist, after all) but I suspect there's some there that could be brought out: it might have been lost in the conversion to jpeg for posting.

Graham, I see what you mean.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 08:48:45 am »

If you could have created something of that size, Rob, I'd have been seriously impressed!

Tony, John R: fair points. I don't want too much detail in the snow (it's supposed to be minimalist, after all) but I suspect there's some there that could be brought out: it might have been lost in the conversion to jpeg for posting.

Graham, I see what you mean.

Jeremy

I'm due a flowmeter test sometime soon - I hope I can replicate, if even for a brief, but torrentially complete, time! Amazing what a litre of water can produce if you have to wait long enough to prove your point.

Rob

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 02:39:54 pm »

How about this, then? I've added a little detail in the snow generally but removed some of the stuff that Graham found distracting. It doesn't lend itself to re-composing: there were other distractions around.

Jeremy

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 03:08:52 pm »

removed some of the stuff that Graham found distracting.

Did I ? I hadn't realised, but maybe they did, I like this better  ;D

graeme

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 05:37:31 pm »

How about this, then? I've added a little detail in the snow generally but removed some of the stuff that Graham found distracting. It doesn't lend itself to re-composing: there were other distractions around.

Jeremy

Interesting, I like it.

You seem to make your best photos in freezing conditions.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 06:10:27 pm »

Did I ? I hadn't realised, but maybe they did, I like this better  ;D

Whoops. I meant John R. I shouldn't compose messages while trying to catch up with the plot of The Archers.

Jeremy

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 06:11:03 pm »

Interesting, I like it.

You seem to make your best photos in freezing conditions.

Thanks. There's nothing quite like not being able to feel your fingers to concentrate the mind, I think.

Jeremy

John R

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 06:32:21 pm »

If you like the image, I hope you are not altering it on my account. I am just trying to give a critique.

I see this primarily as an abstract, so the detail in the snow is secondary. But it is good that you removed the distracting middle gray detail in the right middle section. The shape and tone of the line (creek) is primary along with the stark white space around the line. Usually an S or winding curve is dynamic and conveys motion. For some reason your placement of the curve in the picture space strikes me as static. It does not appear to lead the eye anywhere or throughout the image. I think it has to do with the amount of space above and below the curve. I really don't want to alter your image too much, but would you consider a rectangle format? That would reduce the space I mentioned above.

JR
Pages: [1]   Go Up