Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Effects of GPU enabling?  (Read 2827 times)

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
Effects of GPU enabling?
« on: January 13, 2017, 02:31:52 pm »

I'm shopping for a new laptop and have it down to 2 windows models, the brand new Dell XPS 15 and the Razer Blade Pro.  The main difference between these two is a GTX1050 versus a GTX1080.  The price difference is 1500.  I'm not sure if the extra GP horsepower is really worth it.

Have you guys found OpenCL to be much of a benefit to C1Pro?  This is just for image display, but I do want to have the most responsive workflow possible in the field.  I process on my desktop.

Thanks!
CB

Rado

Re: Effects of GPU enabling?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 04:40:38 pm »

At least with v9 I'm using, I haven't noticed any performance difference between GPU acceleration turned on and off. But I only process 20mp files.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 05:08:02 pm »

Since you said you aren't going to be editing photos and using it primarily as a browser, even a 1050 is overkill so that should be plenty good enough.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 06:06:47 pm »

C1 is compared to the slow adobe stuff quite responsive when it comes to GPU stuff. However, the big difference is only when actually developing raw files. ( for example x raw files with one GPU took 25 seconds and the same amount with two of the kind GPU no tale 16 seconds. )

For display use both GPUs are more then fine.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 05:49:57 pm »

Hi Chris,

I just picked up the XPS15 before a trip to oz and I'm having to process from it.  Mine has the GTX960M in it.
I've got it set up driving one of the new Benqs 2700pts and an old dell 1080p screen.  The intel HD graphics controls external monitors.

I currently have a support ticket out with Phase as I'm having regular freezes and crashes on V10.
I have a feeling it's a GPU problem as when I close the dell monitor it seems okay (not fixed, but a little better)

Everything else about the laptop is great. Also, the XPS 13 is a great shoot machine and we did a dawn to dusk project in the middle of the year with one one charge!  It was running C9 great.  Having troubles with C10 on this at the mo as well.

I bought it with a small SSD and ram and upgraded myself which saved over $1000.  Something I love about windows machines. 

Happy to try out any specific Q's the next day or so, as I'm plugged in to it doing post work.

A

I'm shopping for a new laptop and have it down to 2 windows models, the brand new Dell XPS 15 and the Razer Blade Pro.  The main difference between these two is a GTX1050 versus a GTX1080.  The price difference is 1500.  I'm not sure if the extra GP horsepower is really worth it.

Have you guys found OpenCL to be much of a benefit to C1Pro?  This is just for image display, but I do want to have the most responsive workflow possible in the field.  I process on my desktop.

Thanks!
CB
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

sc_john

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 07:19:34 pm »

Hi Chris,

I just picked up the XPS15 before a trip to oz and I'm having to process from it.  Mine has the GTX960M in it.
I've got it set up driving one of the new Benqs 2700pts and an old dell 1080p screen.  The intel HD graphics controls external monitors.

I currently have a support ticket out with Phase as I'm having regular freezes and crashes on V10.
I have a feeling it's a GPU problem as when I close the dell monitor it seems okay (not fixed, but a little better)

Everything else about the laptop is great. Also, the XPS 13 is a great shoot machine and we did a dawn to dusk project in the middle of the year with one one charge!  It was running C9 great.  Having troubles with C10 on this at the mo as well.

I bought it with a small SSD and ram and upgraded myself which saved over $1000.  Something I love about windows machines. 

Happy to try out any specific Q's the next day or so, as I'm plugged in to it doing post work.

A

Hmmm... I am considering moving from MacBook Pro to XPS 15 9560. I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

John

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 06:03:29 pm »

So here's a couple of pieces on information I've gleaned.

The XPS9550 I have has the 960GTX with 2gb of VRAM.  I've just been told this isn't enough to run an external monitor....news to me, but apparently phase have said this is likely causing the crashes I'm experiencing.  I think C1 uses the graphics card quiet heavily.

The XPS 15 9560 has the new Graphics card with 4gbs of ram so this should work fine.

The other is related to OPEN CL:

External monitor is a no no as well since Open CL will most likely not work on that machine with an external monitor. That would also cause crashes.

But if you're not using external monitors, I don't think you'll have any problems!

Great site machine.

Cheers

Andrew

Hmmm... I am considering moving from MacBook Pro to XPS 15 9560. I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

John
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

sc_john

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 06:15:17 am »

So here's a couple of pieces on information I've gleaned.

The XPS9550 I have has the 960GTX with 2gb of VRAM.  I've just been told this isn't enough to run an external monitor....news to me, but apparently phase have said this is likely causing the crashes I'm experiencing.  I think C1 uses the graphics card quiet heavily.

The XPS 15 9560 has the new Graphics card with 4gbs of ram so this should work fine.

The other is related to OPEN CL:

But if you're not using external monitors, I don't think you'll have any problems!

Great site machine.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew,

Thanks for the additional info. I am planning on running an external monitor.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up