Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: minimalism 1  (Read 5685 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
minimalism 1
« on: January 13, 2017, 02:30:29 pm »

I picked up a copy of a magazine while waiting for a train and looked at an article on minimalist b&w photography. I thought I'd give it a try. I'm finding there's a line between "minimalist" and "boring" and it's sometimes hard to tell on which side any of my images falls.

How about this one?

Jeremy

sdwilsonsct

Re: minimalism 1
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 03:13:10 pm »

Works for me. Dynamic but restful.

John R

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 06:48:19 pm »

I agree with Scott. And I agree with your assessment of how minimalism is often on the border of being "boring." This is true of many genres in photography, from fashion to street. However, I would advise more studying and reading on minimalism. It will grow on you if done well and can make powerful and elegant statements.

JR

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 11:57:36 pm »

+1 to both Scott's and John's comments.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 01:38:33 am »

Love it! Great seeing.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 05:21:30 am »

Nice photograph with a lot of power.

Rob

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 07:17:43 am »

Love it! Great seeing.

I'm late coming to it, but +1.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

stamper

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 07:44:42 am »

My first glance thought it was a piece of skin. Only when I enlargened it I saw it was a hole in the ice. Worth posting.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 08:46:11 am »

I agree with what has already been said: great seeing.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 09:09:33 am »

My first glance thought it was a piece of skin. Only when I enlargened it I saw it was a hole in the ice. Worth posting.

So did I!

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 09:39:43 am »

As all the accolades suggest, this one works for many reasons.
The shape of the hole is arresting, and the camera's viewpoint is an excellent one.
There is just enough texture on the ice at the edges of the hole to identify the location, so the viewer needn't waste time on the "What is it?" guessing game.
The ripples on the water add zest without distracting from the excellent sense of form of the hole.

I must admit that I do attempt many, many minimalist shots, and when I look at the resulting images, 99% of the time they are totally boring, even to me.
But that other 1% is worth the effort.

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 12:07:57 pm »

As all the accolades suggest, this one works for many reasons.
The shape of the hole is arresting, and the camera's viewpoint is an excellent one.
There is just enough texture on the ice at the edges of the hole to identify the location, so the viewer needn't waste time on the "What is it?" guessing game.
The ripples on the water add zest without distracting from the excellent sense of form of the hole.

I must admit that I do attempt many, many minimalist shots, and when I look at the resulting images, 99% of the time they are totally boring, even to me.
But that other 1% is worth the effort.

But Eric, think of the pleasure during the shooting: photography is a multifaceted art (pace, elsewhere), and sometimes one makes art with it, and sometimes not. I enjoy the shooting, and if I get something near - or even better - totally different to what I'd imagined and I like it, great! It's the freedom of the non-pro situation. Enjoy!

Rob

stamper

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 12:19:15 pm »

But Eric, think of the pleasure during the shooting: photography is a multifaceted art (pace, elsewhere), and sometimes one makes art with it, and sometimes not. I enjoy the shooting, and if I get something near - or even better - totally different to what I'd imagined and I like it, great! It's the freedom of the non-pro situation. Enjoy!

Rob

Agreed.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 01:39:36 pm »

Rob
I certainly agree, too. Some of my best moments with my 8x10" view camera were on outings where I didn't even bring any film holders with me. Just set up and enjoyed the inmage on the ground glass under the dark cloth. And that image was always in full color, too! I never did shoot a single piece of color film in any big camera. Couldn't afford it.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 01:59:58 pm »

Thank you, all: that's the reaction I'd been hoping for. Rob, your comments are spot on, and apply particularly to us amateurs.

I'll try some more.

Jeremy

Ray

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 04:59:57 pm »

Well, as you all probably know, I like to be thoroughly objective in my comments. Even ice and/or snow has some noticeable degree of texture and/or shading. There's nothing as boring as a plain, uniform, sheet of white paper.

I would prefer to see at least a hint of some subtle shading and texture on the flat ice surrounding the water.

marton

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 06:01:15 pm »

Well, as you all probably know, I like to be thoroughly objective in my comments. Even ice and/or snow has some noticeable degree of texture and/or shading. There's nothing as boring as a plain, uniform, sheet of white paper.

I would prefer to see at least a hint of some subtle shading and texture on the flat ice surrounding the water.

I'd agree. There is not enough information in the negative space.

marton

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2017, 06:03:37 pm »

Kikashi, I hope you don't mind but I played around with your file just for ideas sake. Feel free to ignore it if you wish, but centered compositions are generally to be avoided as they can be quite dull.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 06:08:36 pm by marton »

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2017, 08:21:26 pm »

Kikashi, I hope you don't mind but I played around with your file just for ideas sake. Feel free to ignore it if you wish, but centered compositions are generally to be avoided as they can be quite dull.

Hmmmm... no, I can't say I agree. First, I think that the original shape in its entirety is important. Second, while I can't speak for the OP, I suspect (from the square crop) that the centered composition is on purpose, and I think it's appropriate for this image. It gives the image balance. Cropping as you've done adds a tension that creates a whole different (and less successful) image, IMO. I also prefer the lack of texture in the snow. It helps to keep one's focus on the beautiful shape, texture and tonality. Adding texture to the snow would diminish the image by giving us unneeded realism and context.

I wouldn't change Kikashi's image. It's lovely. Just my humble opinion, of course. :) 

Ray

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2017, 09:17:31 pm »

One of the great things about Photoshop is its potential to improve an image, according to one's own standards, of course, if one has the skills. However, I tend to agree with JNB that your alternative cropping, in this instance, does not improve anything. Just my opinion. No-one is ultimately right on such issues.

Hoping that Kikashi does not object to people playing around with his image, I've produced my own version which I prefer. Others might not, of course.

I've lightened the water and darkened the ice. With more time I could introduce some light shades and a bit of texture on the ice, however, a pale cyan border appeals to me more than your cropping.

Here's my version.  ;)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up