Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: vuescan problem  (Read 2309 times)

dseelig

vuescan problem
« on: January 12, 2017, 01:55:54 pm »

How do I get the largest files on vuescan. I put it on the largest size output but only getting the equivalent of a 7 by 10 at 283 dpi thanks David

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: vuescan problem
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 04:42:46 pm »

How do I get the largest files on vuescan. I put it on the largest size output but only getting the equivalent of a 7 by 10 at 283 dpi thanks David

Hi David,

On the "Input" tab, with the "More" Toggle selected, you change the "Scan resolution" to the maximum. VueScan knows the possible settings for the Scanner that was active when you started the program.
On the "Output" tab, you set "Printed size:" to "Scan size".

Of course, depending on what you are scanning, and the capabilities of the scanner, you set the "Bits per pixel:" on the "Input" tab to 48 Bit RGB (or 64 bit RGB if your scanner can and you want to save the IR channel as well).

Set all other things that influence the number of pixels, like "Cropping" to "Maximum", or "TIFF size reduction" to "1".

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 05:00:48 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

CeeVee

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 06:18:32 pm »

What would you do with the IR channel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

graeme

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 06:22:12 pm »

Something to do with dust / scratch removal?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 06:36:23 pm »

Hi,

VueScan can save or use a scanfile as a Digital Negative/Positive. When used that way, the film will not be needed anymore for re-scanning and can remain in safe storage without the risk of scratches/dust accumulating through handling.

By also saving the IR channel data, the automatic dust and scratch removal of VueScan can be used (for films that do not contain silver residue), or it can be used as a mask for use in e.g. Photoshop.

Cheers,
Bart

CeeVee

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 07:05:05 pm »

I'm curious, saving the IR channel adds how much to the file size? 20%? Less? And how does Photoshop (or any other bitmap program) know it's there?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 07:47:55 pm »

I'm curious, saving the IR channel adds how much to the file size? 20%? Less? And how does Photoshop (or any other bitmap program) know it's there?

Instead of 3 channels, it stores 4 channels, so 33% larger (before optional compression).

TIFF formats are flexible, and they can store multiple channels (CMYK files also have 4 channels). I'm not 100% sure, because I've not done it for a while, but if I remember correctly the IR channel is saved as a fourth RGBI channel (or it could be as an alpha channel, I'm not sure which). I do remember that VueScan did a better job of dust/scratch removal than I could by using masked Photoshop retouching (but that was before the Healing functionality was added to Photoshop). So I just used VueScan on Digital Scan Negatives.

Cheers,
Bart

CeeVee

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 08:44:33 pm »

Thanks

dseelig

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 10:40:14 pm »

Thanks Bartvander     
I also emailed Ed and he was not as complete as you nothing on the input so you saved my night
Thanks David PS coolscan 9000 so plenty of horsepower
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up