Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ImagePrint 6.1 Image Cropping Problem  (Read 2505 times)

Richard Anderson SF

ImagePrint 6.1 Image Cropping Problem
« on: July 20, 2006, 01:19:05 am »

I'm old school analog photographer finding my way in the digital realm--in many ways amazed and happy. I'm using a Canon 5D, an Epson 4800 with Phatte black and ImagePrint 6.1 Build 1.0.2, Mac OS 10.4.6 Quad G5. I recently spent time in computer hell with a complete PowerMac collapse (thank goodness for AppleCare) which forced me among other things to re-install ImagePrint. I thought everything was OK but no. And of course I've exhausted my 90 days of free software support from ColorByte.

Here's my problem. I'm making  a collection of 8.5 by 11 inch prints as working proofs. I just noticed a cropping problem in the "following" edge of my prints.  As an example, a specific horizontal  image:  three seated Mongolian musicians cropped with about an 1/8 of an inch of "breathing space" on the left and right edges. In Photo Shop the Image Size was 10.5 by 6 inches. I laid it out in the ImagePrint window with equal margins left and right, unequal top and weighted bottom margin. It looked perfect. The print cropped the image slightly, lopping off my breathing space just clipping the cuff of the bowed instrumentalist on the left side.  As an experiment I rotated the image 180 degrees using the ImagePrint tools and this time the resulting print cropped off a bit of the plucked instrumentalist on the right side. The last edge out of the printer was wrong on both prints. If I measure carefully the correct margin in 3/8 inch, the incorrect, image cropping margin is 1/2 inch. What's going on? Where do I begin solving this problem?

As I look through the prints, it seems to be a consistent 1/8 inch problem always on the "following" edge. I'm surprised it took me this many prints to notice the problem. I guess I'm still wowed by the basic image quality.

Thanks in advance

p.tinson

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 08:03:04 am »

Richard
          I take it you are printing on to cut sheets.
The standard print area for cut sheets on the 4800 is 3mm or 1/8 in on leading edge, 3mm or 1/8 in. on either side and 14mm or 1/2 in. on trailing edge of the print. With the Epson driver you can select maximum this will reduce the trailing edge margin to 3mm or 1/8 inch.
I dont know if IP6 has the facility to select the maximum.

I hope this helps.

Peter

goer

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 04:24:08 pm »

Colorbyte can be so much fun. Did you buy the upgrape so you can use Image Print 6.1 throught PhotoShop. I did and had all types of cropping errors. Thank God I was in the 90 support period. If it's a Colorbyte problem you may have to pony up the $495 and let them fix it. I wish I could help, but I didn't know what I was doing when they had me install all the downloads. You could start calling them Colorbites and write many ranting and raving pages on this site all to no avail. Anyway good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up