Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Regret  (Read 14186 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Regret
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 01:10:23 pm »

@Kevin - very good post.  I think what is happening is general to many other blog sites.  I know of a number that either switched to full moderation or just ended the comments section completely.  I only visit LuLa for photography as I have found it to cover all the things I'm interested in and don't want to spend all day going back and forth between various photography sites.  Keep doing the good work!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 02:01:54 pm »

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=115479.0  though there are a couple of others on the same forum that address the issue as well.

Alan,

Thanks very much for the link - that was very helpful; I wanted to read it and the parent article to get a first-hand feel for the evidence of what some members are observing. As you know, this Forum is "moderation light", or "moderate as necessary", which is how it always has been, is the most practical approach for its size and diversity, and assures its openness to a full range of views on any given topic as well as to the posting of new topics themselves. It's a really useful "let the flowers bloom" approach. But clearly, not everything that gets posted is "flowers". The Forum does have a set of guidelines which make sense and, yes, there some folks who need to be reminded of them before they post. Of course, the freedom to post within the guidelines is also accompanied by the freedom not to read. So I find it regrettable that several valued members have chosen to withdraw, rather than simply skipping over what they don't like. It deprives them of useful content (and there is still lots) and it deprives other members of their valued insights, so I think it's a net lose-lose. I'm more in favour of win-win. To those who don't respect the letter and intent of the Forum guidelines, I would encourage them to keep those in mind as they write, and to those who get frustrated with content they find unappealing, I would encourage them to "chill out" and move on to the next topic, or as Kevin says above, report egregious behaviour. It is in the interest of all the members that we keep this Forum civil and informative, which in large measure I believe most of us are doing.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 02:30:01 pm »

I think it's the "Trump effect". It seems, with some people at least, it is now more acceptable to be quick with abrupt, poorly thought-out "shots from the lip". Sad really. I see it on media sites, FB and, sadly, here. Hopefully, they are just a vocal minority.

Perhaps you should look in the mirror on this if you want to talk about abrupt, poorly thought-out mouth sounds.

It's gonna be a loooong 4 years for the left at this rate.  Gonna need a lot of Formula 409 to clean up all the brains that have/will explode.

You've definitely got the wrong person here Howard and it has nothing to do with left or right. It has everything to do with common decency, respect and thoughtful dialogue.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

howardm

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 04:17:56 pm »

I'll give you that.

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 09:59:55 pm »

Maybe but this place is one of the few 'sane' and semi-professional places for this type of discussion (vs. the fever swamp of trolls that hang out on dpreview).

Speaking as one who "hangs out" on DPreview I find your comment insulting at the very least.

Not that we would expect you to retract your provocation of course (trolls never do).
best regards,

Ted

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2017, 10:07:53 pm »

Speaking as one who "hangs out" on DPreview I find your comment insulting at the very least.

Not that we would expect you to retract your provocation of course (trolls never do).

There is a rule on this Forum not to engage in personal insults, so I strongly recommend that all such conversation cease immediately. Note I am not a moderator - just another member reminding that we can all be moderated and there can be consequences for breaking the rules.

Lundberg02

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2017, 03:36:57 am »

What membership fee? What does it get you?

howardm

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2017, 08:22:09 am »

a year or so ago, they instituted a $12/y fee.  It includes access to all videos and other materials.  The forums are/have been zero cost.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2017, 08:51:21 am »

What membership fee? What does it get you?

Not sure how the issue of membership fee is relevant to this thread, but anyhow - for your information: it costs a lot of money and consumes ALL of several peoples' time to keep this website in operation. The fee income is a necessary source of income to pay the bills, without which Luminous-Landscape would cease to exist; so if you like being able to benefit from all the information and knowledge made available here, that's the entry price - a few coffees a year.

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2017, 07:57:38 pm »

Maybe but this place is one of the few 'sane' and semi-professional places for this type of discussion (vs. the fever swamp of trolls that hang out on dpreview).

Unfortunately, he appears to have moved to that very same fever swamp, now posting as "digidog" and is currently snapping at people's heels there in his usual manner. ;)

Pops up occasionally on CiC too, to keep them folks straight when needed . .
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 09:23:31 pm by xpatUSA »
best regards,

Ted

howardm

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2017, 05:32:23 am »

I don't know or care what your issue is but I'm not Andrew.

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2017, 12:40:46 pm »

I don't know or care what your issue is . . .

Sorry to hear that.

. . . but I'm not Andrew.

Obviously.

I should have made it clearer that I was referring to the subject of this thread, namely Andrew aka "DigiDog".
best regards,

Ted

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2017, 10:08:52 pm »

There is a rule on this Forum not to engage in personal insults, so I strongly recommend that all such conversation cease immediately. Note I am not a moderator - just another member reminding that we can all be moderated and there can be consequences for breaking the rules.

I withdraw my own comment re: provocation and trolls and thank you for your vigilance.

Meanwhile, the dear departed Dog is wreaking havoc among the "swamp-dwelling trolls" at DPR.

For example: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59101514

Hopefully that is not regarded here as a "personal insult" . . .  ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 06:41:04 am by xpatUSA »
best regards,

Ted

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2017, 08:48:58 am »

I withdraw my own comment re: provocation and trolls and thank you for your vigilance.

Meanwhile, the dear departed Dog is wreaking havoc among the "swamp-dwelling trolls" at DPR.

For example: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59101514

Hopefully that is not regarded here as a "personal insult" . . .  ;)

You don't think the many thousands of people who go to DPReview wouldn't be insulted by you labeling them as "swamp-dwelling trolls"? 

howardm

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2017, 08:55:02 am »

Sorry to hear that.

Meh.  I see you as some nasty old man w/ an axe to grind, along w/ most of the other know-nothings.
If I want to experience that, I can just chat w/ my dad.

So yea, I don't really care :)

And on that, I'm outta this thread.

Have a nice day!

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2017, 01:17:54 pm »

You don't think the many thousands of people who go to DPReview wouldn't be insulted by you labeling them as "swamp-dwelling trolls"?

I was quoting @howardm who said it in the first place, voila "Maybe but this place is one of the few 'sane' and semi-professional places for this type of discussion (vs. the fever swamp of trolls that hang out on dpreview)."

Perhaps you have already forgotten your post #25 where you took me to task for commenting on that little jewel.

Like the perpetrator of the phrase mentioned above, I am also "out of here".

So, please try to read and remember stuff and kindly get off of my case.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 01:23:02 pm by xpatUSA »
best regards,

Ted

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2017, 01:57:14 pm »

In post 25 I referred to "all such conversation" - that means whoever it comes from, whoever started it - doesn't matter, it doesn't need to be resurrected and prolonged. That's my "case", and glad you have both decided to drop it.

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2017, 04:58:01 pm »

In post 25 I referred to "all such conversation" - that means whoever it comes from, whoever started it - doesn't matter, it doesn't need to be resurrected and prolonged. That's my "case", and glad you have both decided to drop it.

I asked you to get off my case, both both and not Howard's.

I would like you to retract your statement made earlier which implies that I was the originator of the "the fever swamp of trolls that hang out on dpreview" phrase.

You said "You don't think the many thousands of people who go to DPReview wouldn't be insulted by you labeling them as 'swamp-dwelling trolls'?"

I did not label them thus, someone else did. Please acknowledge that, for the record. For me, it does matter who said what because your statement clearly makes me the bad guy.
best regards,

Ted

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2017, 05:14:46 pm »

For avoidance of doubt, Howard issued this unfortunate expression in Reply #1, and you reiterated it in Reply #32, which triggered my response in Replies 25 and 33. I now consider this matter closed and shall not be responding it henceforth - life is too short for this. I think my point about maintaining civility on the Forum is understood and that is all I wanted to achieve.

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2017, 12:51:09 am »

For avoidance of doubt, Howard issued this unfortunate expression in Reply #1, and you reiterated it in Reply #32, which triggered my response in Replies 25 and 33. I now consider this matter closed and shall not be responding it henceforth - life is too short for this. I think my point about maintaining civility on the Forum is understood and that is all I wanted to achieve.

For further avoidance of any lingering doubt here, using quotes is not "re-iterating".

I now consider this matter closed too.
best regards,

Ted
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up