Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Regret  (Read 14192 times)

Dale Villeponteaux

Regret
« on: January 11, 2017, 09:35:32 am »

I regret that Andrew Rodney appears to be no longer participating in this forum.

Regards,
Dale V.
My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.

howardm

Re: Regret
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 11:47:46 am »

Maybe but this place is one of the few 'sane' and semi-professional places for this type of discussion (vs. the fever swamp of trolls that hang out on dpreview).

Doug Gray

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 01:24:29 pm »

Maybe but this place is one of the few 'sane' and semi-professional places for this type of discussion (vs. the fever swamp of trolls that hang out on dpreview).

Most of his posts on dpreview that I've run across are trying to clarify what is required to print and soft proof well. To be fair to the variety of skills (or lack thereof) at dpreview, it's not an easy process but his website videos, which are free, are quite good. I've had good discourse here with Andrew once he becomes aware you aren't completely ignorant of the issues surrounding the complexities of color management.

It must be a bit frustrating to him over on dpreview with so much misinformation bandied about but they would be well advised to watch his videos and, perhaps review much of the work available at color.org. I don't see him posting as much there recently ether. Perhaps he is busy, or just tired of it.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 02:20:27 pm »

If you go to his profile in the members section of the Forum, it says:

Signature:
Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/
I'm out of here.

I don't know what the "I'm out of here" is all about, but I would hope it's not permanent. Andrew does this once he's had enough of a particular discussion, but it has never been intended as a permanent exit from the site. 
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

howardm

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 02:28:39 pm »

Nothing wrong w/ stepping away from all this for a while and

Shoot!   Calibrate!   Print!  ;)

and enjoy vs arguing w/ some wanna-be expert

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 06:13:36 pm »

I regret that Andrew Rodney appears to be no longer participating in this forum.

Regards,
Dale V.

Well, you've got all those searches to conduct to read pretty much what Andrew keeps talking about over and over. What new information do you expect to get from him that he hasn't already posted on.

Or do you like the way he argues with people who offer information based on real world experience (see something, say something) rather than just rely on theory.

Maybe he's just tired of beating a dead horse for over ten years.

I know of other LuLa contributors who work just as hard barely get a mention or thanks for their efforts.

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 07:14:11 pm »

I think the alligators of that swamp, are the people who run it. Too bad so many people have been sucked in.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 09:03:38 pm »

Well, you've got all those searches to conduct to read pretty much what Andrew keeps talking about over and over. What new information do you expect to get from him that he hasn't already posted on.

Or do you like the way he argues with people who offer information based on real world experience (see something, say something) rather than just rely on theory.

Maybe he's just tired of beating a dead horse for over ten years.

I know of other LuLa contributors who work just as hard barely get a mention or thanks for their efforts.

Tim, sorry, but Andrew has made a large number of very useful, substantive contributions to this website and Forum over the years, and if he has really decided to withdraw, I look upon it as a truly unfortunate loss. Furthermore, I don't think that diminishing the value of what he has contributed will do much to encourage his return, and I suspect that many more members of this Forum would prefer to see him here than not here.

scyth

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 11:05:46 pm »

I think the alligators of that swamp, are the people who run it. Too bad so many people have been sucked in.

while it is true that dpreview forums have poor S/N, you just need to read topics where selected posters are participating (so I just check new posting from those people using saved urls that go directly to their stats instead of visiting forums in a normal manner) and then for certain set of subjects it is way better than anything here... Eric Fossum for example.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 09:43:54 am »

People don't get sucked in, they suck themselves in. Everyone has a free choice to enter that website or not as they see fit, and to evaluate what they choose to read. Regardless of who runs it, it's an open forum and the quality of what gets posted there ranges from useless to insightful. It's a totally different construct from LuLa - I wouldn't even begin to compare them, nor am I prepared to write them off because I have found useful stuff there.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 01:07:47 pm »

Tim, sorry, but Andrew has made a large number of very useful, substantive contributions to this website and Forum over the years, and if he has really decided to withdraw, I look upon it as a truly unfortunate loss. Furthermore, I don't think that diminishing the value of what he has contributed will do much to encourage his return, and I suspect that many more members of this Forum would prefer to see him here than not here.

I didn't say Andrew didn't offer substantive contributions, Mark. Where did you read in my response where I said otherwise? Or did you read into what I didn't say? We don't need anymore misinformation and misinterpreting as it is.

I'm just saying WE ARE A COMMUNITY which means not to be only considerate for ONE PERSON.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 01:20:03 pm »

If anyone's interested Andrew's been doing the pop-in over at Photo.net whenever there's a discussion on what's the best display under XXX amount of dollars and other subjects related to camera profiles and Adobe software. That was at least in the past several weeks or so. I don't know where he's at now since I don't follow Andrew online, but then I don't follow anyone. I'm more of an equal opportunity lurker.

I actually spend more time doing experimental/exploratory photography and digital audio manipulation for fun. But I mean REALLY.. who cares what I do? No one seems interested anyway. Everyone's a channel surfer online interested only on what's coming up on the next click.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 01:47:24 pm »

I didn't say Andrew didn't offer substantive contributions, Mark. Where did you read in my response where I said otherwise? Or did you read into what I didn't say? We don't need anymore misinformation and misinterpreting as it is.

I'm just saying WE ARE A COMMUNITY which means not to be only considerate for ONE PERSON.

I agree we don't need misinformation and misinterpretation, so for the record I was not reinterpreting what you said. I was stating my opinion about the value of Andrew's contributions to the LuLa community over the years.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 01:48:37 pm »

I agree we don't need misinformation and misinterpretation, so for the record I was not reinterpreting what you said. I was stating my opinion about the value of Andrew's contributions to the LuLa community over the years.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 11:06:42 am »

For whatever reason, I think people have gotten more snarky over the past few months.  This is best exemplified by looking as the Hasselblad thread that was in response to a post that Kevin did about two weeks ago (as a result of that one, a couple of valued contributors indicated they would be leaving or reducing their presence).  I didn't know that Andrew wasn't posting as I mainly look at the printer & paper thread and the articles on the Home Page.  I'm disappointed that the collaborative nature of this website has diminished, maybe it was the introduction of the membership fee or Michael's passing.  I'm not sure but there sure is something different these days and it's not good.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 11:45:32 am »

For whatever reason, I think people have gotten more snarky over the past few months.  This is best exemplified by looking as the Hasselblad thread that was in response to a post that Kevin did about two weeks ago (as a result of that one, a couple of valued contributors indicated they would be leaving or reducing their presence).  I didn't know that Andrew wasn't posting as I mainly look at the printer & paper thread and the articles on the Home Page.  I'm disappointed that the collaborative nature of this website has diminished, maybe it was the introduction of the membership fee or Michael's passing.  I'm not sure but there sure is something different these days and it's not good.

Can you link the specific thread you mention?

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 11:46:49 am »

+1  I've noticed it too.

I think it's the "Trump effect". It seems, with some people at least, it is now more acceptable to be quick with abrupt, poorly thought-out "shots from the lip". Sad really. I see it on media sites, FB and, sadly, here. Hopefully, they are just a vocal minority.

[ed]
Mark - I know you're looking for an exact example to support Alan's claim and, if I felt like spending the time, I could put my finger on a few threads, but really, it's a change in tone that, obviously, I, too, have picked up on. And, as I said, it's not just here, but elsewhere as well.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 11:50:47 am by luxborealis »
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

howardm

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 12:06:54 pm »

I think it's the "Trump effect". It seems, with some people at least, it is now more acceptable to be quick with abrupt, poorly thought-out "shots from the lip". Sad really. I see it on media sites, FB and, sadly, here. Hopefully, they are just a vocal minority.

Perhaps you should look in the mirror on this if you want to talk about abrupt, poorly thought-out mouth sounds.

It's gonna be a loooong 4 years for the left at this rate.  Gonna need a lot of Formula 409 to clean up all the brains that have/will explode.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 12:20:38 pm »

Can you link the specific thread you mention?
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=115479.0  though there are a couple of others on the same forum that address the issue as well.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 12:36:57 pm »

What I have seen on this forum and others is quite disappointing sometimes.   I have grown thick skin and continue to push on because this is my passion.  If you agree fine if you don't fine.  What disappoints me and Chris is that contributors to the forum have made personal attacks to those posting.  We monitor this and if we get notifications to the moderator we deal with it. Chris and I did a major clean up of offenders a few months ago.  A number of people were banned after being warned repeated times.  LuLa is a resource for photographers and a community for photographers that have a passion for the craft. The only way this gets stronger is to have people participate.  If someone does a personal attack on another then it should be reported and the moderator will intervene.  Sometimes there will be heated arguments on a topic and that is fine but a personal attack or name calling is not right.

I know more of the other content providers for photography and we meet at times at press events and such.  We share beers and talk about photography and what we are seeing.  Many of these sites allow comments after an article.  They tell me that they are editing heavily and deciding what makes it to the comments. So, much of the time you don't even see the negative and just downright offensive comments.  Some of the people I know have even been threatened.   

What we see here is not because we went to a membership fee for the site.  That was a separate decision.  It just seems people like to hide behind their keyboards and be rude. 

Join with me to fix this and participate in a positive way.  Ignore the negatives and don't respond to them and fan the flame.  Also, report to moderator if you feel it is out of hand.

I love this site and what we are doing and how the community shares.  Let's try to set an example and all of us try harder.  Feel free to PM me if you'd like to comment personally.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up