Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to add additional editors to "Edit WIth"  (Read 1481 times)

rjh1007

How to add additional editors to "Edit WIth"
« on: January 11, 2017, 04:39:38 am »

Hi
I am using CO 10 (previously 7,8 and 9) on Windows 10.  I often use the round trip feature to PS and back through Edit With - it works fine. However, I have other editors such as Affinity Photo, Photomatix and Helicon that I use regularly.  I cannot figure out how to add any of these editors to the Edit With drop down list. I am having to continually use browse and then search through the directories for the exe file for the applicable editor.  All that is available in the edit with drop down is Photoshop, Paint, Word and browse.  Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Bob

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: How to add additional editors to "Edit WIth"
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 07:00:41 am »

Hi
I am using CO 10 (previously 7,8 and 9) on Windows 10.  I often use the round trip feature to PS and back through Edit With - it works fine. However, I have other editors such as Affinity Photo, Photomatix and Helicon that I use regularly.  I cannot figure out how to add any of these editors to the Edit With drop down list. I am having to continually use browse and then search through the directories for the exe file for the applicable editor.  All that is available in the edit with drop down is Photoshop, Paint, Word and browse.  Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Bob

Hi Bob,

Have you tried, in the Windows File Explorer, to use "Open with >"? Does the application you want to use show up in that list? If not try "Use another application" at the bottom of that list. Depending on your computer/software/virusscanner/ etc. that might add it to the list and maybe Capture One 10 will then offer it as an option.

If that doesn't work, then you could try (temporarily) changing the default application that Win 10 uses for the filetype you are sending. Just go to the file explorer, right-click a file (*.TIFF), and select properties. There you can "Change..." the default filetype association. Maybe all relevant filetypes need to have been associated at some time in the past.

This should add some entries in the Windows Registry, which then allows them to be used by Capture One and other applications. There is no direct way to register applications in Capture One's drop down selections, they have to come from the Operating system. BTW, the last application selected for "Edit With...", is sticky (on my installation anyway).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

rjh1007

Re: How to add additional editors to "Edit WIth"
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 01:57:23 pm »

Bart
Thanks for your suggestions.
First suggestion -no joy
Second suggestion - Limited success.
The default file type association does add to the Edit With list, however, if you change the default to another editor then the previous default disappears from the list and the new default appears.
CO is an excellent program and it is designed primarily for advanced and pro photographers - just the people that required the better round trip workflow. Please don't take this personally, however, I find it almost incomprehensible that the program designers and engineers at PhaseOne can't or won't do some of the things to make our workflow seamless.  I would be ecstatic if they would create an external editor function like LR and also improve the clone/heal and vignetting.  Better yet give us a radial filter.
Why don't they survey their user base, not just the top studio and commercial pros, and find out what we really want and need.
Sorry for the mini rant, hoever, after three years of beta testing and several support requests it appears there is nobody home or at least not listening.
Thanks again
Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up