Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Difference in brightness between LCD and CRT monit  (Read 34195 times)

jackbingham

• http://www.integrated-color.com
Difference in brightness between LCD and CRT monit
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2007, 10:00:15 am »

Quote from: tlooknbill,Jan 1 2007, 12:56 AM
Nill and Jack, thanks for the response.

I've been over at jack's integrated color's tech forum and scratching my head on a post about corrupt profiles caused by Photoshop CS2 (requiring?) 16bit LUT profiles. This is new to me. I didn't know the technology had advanced to a stage you can make video card operate in 16bit or maybe I'm not understanding the meaning of a 16bit profile. Here's the link:

16 bit profiles are applied to the data at the system level not in the video card. Video cards are indeed only 8 bit.
Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Maker

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2007, 01:04:01 pm »

Thanks for clarifying, Jack.

Any info available explaining what the advantages of 16bit profiles and what calibration software is now implementing it. What does this have to do with CS2 reporting corrupt profiles? Does this mean that when you upgrade to CS2 your profiles need to be 16bit as well or there will be issues?

GlennOg

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2007, 07:33:13 pm »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your help. I've heard so many negative things about LCD's and Lacie monitors I was horrified to plug my LCD in the first time. I'm an Epson Enhanced Matt user along with an 1160 fitted up with a Piezo inkset.  Your advise is very useful for my work.

glenn

www.vision-one.ca

The main thing I had to do to replicate the previous reliability of my colour-managed work flow was to select a much lower luminance setting than the monitor is capable of. While the monitor is capable of 250, my setting is 120. I print on Epson Enhanced Matte, which is a low reflectance medium, and I find the 120 luminance setting setting provides a reasonably reliable soft-proof of the impression I will get viewing the print. That is what this whole business is all about - whether the viewing impression from the monitor and the print are close enough for your needs - which would vary from one purpose of photography to another.

As the tehcnology advances and options multiply, it gives us more means to do better and better things, but the side effect is that it gets more complicated. I believe that compatibility has become more of an issue as a result. This puts more of an onus on ourselves to better define our needs and research the necessary conditions for delivering them, which includes considerations of product features, cost and compatibility factors. As consumers we're in the fortunate position of just needing to know how to chose. The providers have a much more daunting task looking at the sea of complementary or non-complementary stuff they need to contend with and working out how to design their own products in ways that keep us happy.

A self-interested New Year's wish from me to them is that they have great success in doing so - meanwhile forums like this will always be great for asking all the good questions and hopefully getting some useful answers!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93112\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2007, 10:20:31 pm »

Glad to be of assistance. Good luck with it and keep us posted on how it is working out for you.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

jlmwyo

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2007, 02:51:25 am »

Does anyone have any info about the min luminance of the high end Samsungs like the 214T?
Images of Wyoming
 [url=http://www.pbase.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up