Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Days of Yore  (Read 1591 times)

stamper

Days of Yore
« on: January 10, 2017, 07:31:30 am »

I sometimes try and take images and represent them as if they were taken fifty or sixty years ago. Does this succeed?

Rob C

Re: Days of Yore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 09:37:47 am »

It does, stamper, very NY NY; however, be careful: nostalgia!

;-)

Rob

tuatara

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 10:40:01 am »

The effect is quite nice, and you also selected a good scene for it.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 10:44:00 am »

I love the scene, Robert, but I think the effect would come off better if you'd back off the contrast a bit -- as in Scarpering.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 12:15:45 pm »

The only flaw is the vehicles, which are too modern. Nice image though.

I have a friend who photographs older parts of cities in just that way. But his shots have no vehicles or other hints of modernity, so they really feel timeless.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

stamper

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 12:46:07 pm »

I agree about the vehicles. I added contrast in order to try and darken the vehicles but it possibly doesn't help?

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 12:47:51 pm »

The contrast is part of that Bill Brandt London in the Blitz look though, yes?

N80

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 03:29:13 pm »

I think it is a great photo, but it did not take me back in time at all. Sorry. Maybe some film grain, dust and scratches. As mentioned, the vehicles are a problem. Although, not everyone pays attention to that sort of thing.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 04:09:03 pm »

There you go: it's so big I didn't even see the vehicles until I read about them and realised I was meant to scroll! (Or follow Eric's, earlier advice!)

;-)

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 08:19:43 pm »

There you go: it's so big I didn't even see the vehicles until I read about them and realised I was meant to scroll! (Or follow Eric's, earlier advice!)

;-)

Rob
You see, Rob? Teachers can teach you something about photography.   :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

stamper

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 04:21:39 am »

Thanks for the feedback. On reflection it probably doesn't quite work as an image that could have been taken decades ago. Back to the drawing board.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 05:12:33 am »

The vehicles didn't disturb me much... what did was the apparent inclination of the buildings, ie they lean more right as you go right, the opposite of the usual perspective effect of shooting upwards. I'm guessing this was from using a perspective correction in post?
It's the first thing I noticed, but that may peculiar to me :)

stamper

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 05:45:52 am »

The vehicles didn't disturb me much... what did was the apparent inclination of the buildings, ie they lean more right as you go right, the opposite of the usual perspective effect of shooting upwards. I'm guessing this was from using a perspective correction in post?
It's the first thing I noticed, but that may peculiar to me :)

I did correct it in post and I looked at it again in PS with the grid in place and it looks OK. Quite often when I look at an image I think it looks skewed but when I go to straighten it, it is OK. An optical illusion? At the end of the day I don't seek perfection because it doesn't exist in real life.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 06:49:21 am »

Yes, some sort of illusion... but if you look at the tallest building, it seems to be twisted: you see more of the front at the top than the bottom.

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 08:24:55 am »

You see, Rob? Teachers can teach you something about photography.   :D

No, that's about using computers, Eric. Teachers can teach one about those and also processes such as Photoshop etc.

However, regarding stampers shot: on my monitor, the right edge (before scrolling) is cut off just at the closest edge of the closest car, and as I didn't originally see the car nor the other buildings, the fact that I liked the picture tells me that, IMO at least, it could be cut off there and be none the worse for it. Okay, it becomes a different image, but that's life and choices.

;-)

Rob

N80

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 10:50:39 am »

Yes, some sort of illusion... but if you look at the tallest building, it seems to be twisted: you see more of the front at the top than the bottom.

Sometimes I think perspective issue are made worse in post (although I did not notice it at all in this image.) In general, perspective issues are not distracting to me if they seem natural to the type of lens and the position from which the image was taken. I know some folks are very picky about it. I think that has been exacerbated by the fact that we can do something in post..........so now it is expected that we should.

Maybe I'll begin a series with unabashed perspective issues.........maybe it will become a trend..........like lomography. The price of perspective control lenses will plummet, poorly designed wide angle lenses will be sought after. ;)
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

stamper

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 11:15:03 am »

No, that's about using computers, Eric. Teachers can teach one about those and also processes such as Photoshop etc.

However, regarding stampers shot: on my monitor, the right edge (before scrolling) is cut off just at the closest edge of the closest car, and as I didn't originally see the car nor the other buildings, the fact that I liked the picture tells me that, IMO at least, it could be cut off there and be none the worse for it. Okay, it becomes a different image, but that's life and choices.

;-)

Rob

That crossed my mind and I think it would possibly "improve" the image?
Pages: [1]   Go Up