Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why not head to Cuba in 2017  (Read 9414 times)

jeremyrh

Re: Why not head to Cuba in 2017
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 04:35:18 am »

I think you just described tourism :)

Exactly! Visitors from America or Europe are the ones who have a few thousand bucks to spend on travel - by definition the wealthiest of the wealthy. If you picked up someone from the streets of Haiti or Niger and plonked them down in Havana they'd probably be pretty happy to stay.

hogloff

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 09:35:58 am »

Let's not forget tourism brings in big bucks to Cuba. I was in Cuba last November and spent over $2,000, almost all of it on accommodations, food and taxis. All that money went into the hands of Cuban people. I know they are taxed by the state, but the people that cater to the tourist industry are much better off than the people that work for the state.

I'd much travel to Cuba and photograph the amazing architecture and people, giving them my tourist dollar than go to some fancy resorts in America and feed the ultra rich.

adias

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 11:22:35 am »

... All that money went into the hands of Cuban people. ...

Unfortunately no! The money you spent in Cuba went, most of it (90%+), the the State coffers.

I will not go to Cuba before the regime collapses, and freedom is restored with open/democratic elections.

adias

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 11:25:33 am »

Unfortunately no! The money you spent in Cuba went, most of it (90%+), to the the State coffers to be spent as the regime decides.

I will not go to Cuba before the regime collapses, and freedom is restored with open/democratic elections.

jeremyrh

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 11:59:10 am »

"Restored"? You think Cuba pre-Castro was free, open and democratic? You may be interested in a bridge I have for sale ...

scyth

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 12:03:55 pm »

"Restored"? You think Cuba pre-Castro was free, open and democratic? You may be interested in a bridge I have for sale ...

he means restored as in Iraq probably... or Libya :-)

hogloff

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 12:10:29 pm »

Unfortunately no! The money you spent in Cuba went, most of it (90%+), the the State coffers.

Have you ever been to Cuba. Sounds like you speak from knowledge...yet I believe this knowledge you have was obtained by reading the great American propaganda brainwashing that tries to make Cuba look helpless.

I talked extensively with the Cuban people that I rented a room from. They pay the government $200 a month for the room. They rent the room for $30/day and average 25 days booked / month. You do the math and let us know how much these people pocket a month. They have 4 rooms in their building they rent out.

The Cuban people are one of the healthiest people on this planet due to not using any GMO or other garbage in their foods and due to the free health for everyone. They are one of the highest literate people sternly eclipsing the USA average. Education right through university degrees are free to everyone...and just about everyone has a higher education degree.

Please take a good look at some of the neighborhoods in New Orleans or Detroit or Chicago or Memphis and tell me who is really free.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 01:23:20 pm »

The Cuban people are one of the healthiest people on this planet due to not using any GMO or other garbage in their foods and due to the free health for everyone. They are one of the highest literate people sternly eclipsing the USA average. Education right through university degrees are free to everyone...and just about everyone has a higher education degree.

Please take a good look at some of the neighborhoods in New Orleans or Detroit or Chicago or Memphis and tell me who is really free.

And quite a few of the them speak and write better English than some US residents. Including doctors who listen and understand what their patients are saying.

scyth

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 01:39:49 pm »

Have you ever been to Cuba. Sounds like you speak from knowledge...yet I believe this knowledge you have was obtained by reading the great American propaganda brainwashing that tries to make Cuba look helpless.

he probably has nothing against going to Saudi Arabia though...  or Qatar or Jordan... all the countries with un-elected kings & sheikhs

NancyP

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2017, 01:41:18 pm »

The Cuban medical system does some things well in that all people have access to a GP and preventive care. This results in better infant mortality, among other things. I imagine that the life style still involves a lot of walking and carrying, so the diabetes and  cardiovascular status of the Cuban population is likely better than in the US. They can't afford cutting age technology, so doctors must still learn traditional physical exam diagnostic skills. They can't rely on state-of-the-art MRI scanners. I suspect that most people with common problems subjectively feel "taken care of" by their doctors.

adias

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2017, 02:06:17 pm »

I talked extensively with the Cuban people that I rented a room from. They pay the government $200 a month for the room. They rent the room for $30/day and average 25 days booked / month. You do the math and let us know how much these people pocket a month. They have 4 rooms in their building they rent out.

All who feel that way, by all means do relocate to Cuba. But go with the clothes in your back and minimal cash in your wallet. Live the Cuban paradise life. Be happy and show coherence in your position!

For more information: https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/americas/cuba/report-cuba/
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:01:45 pm by adias »

hogloff

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2017, 03:49:14 pm »

All who feel that way, by all means do relocate to Cuba. But go with the clothes in your back and minimal cash in your wallet. Live the Cuban paradise life. Be happy and show coherence in your position!

For more information: https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/americas/cuba/report-cuba/

I believe we are talking about going to Cuba to photograph the beauty...not to pick up and move there. I personally travel to the US a lot to photograph it's uniqueness...but not once have I ever thought of moving there...for many reasons.

Tell me something, have you actually traveled this world and seen how different ethnic groups live their daily lives for yourself rather than relying on propaganda to tell you the truth? It might open up your eyes to do so. You will see smiles on many faces, kids playing with a ball rather than a cellphone, people sharing their dinners with you, a stranger, parents holding hands with their kids as they walk them to school. Many cultures, many different customs, many different priorities...none are really better than the other.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2017, 05:25:39 pm »

You don't even know how lucky you are that you cannot make sense of that phrase

Well, I cannot make sense of what you say either - am I double lucky?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2017, 06:11:43 pm »

Or head to Nicaragua instead! Spend a few days on a coffee plantation in the jungle and a few days in a small town in the mountains. Photo opportunities galore, birds, people, flowers. architecture, landscapes.

https://san-ramon.org/ecotours/

I am on the board of directors of the non-profit that runs these tours, and I would love to see more photographers taking advantage of this opportunity.The tour is very reasonably priced and the profits all go back to the community. If you might be interested, here are some photos from my time in Nicaragua.

http://www.peteraitken.com/Nicaragua/index.html

Please contact me personally if you want more information.

scyth

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2017, 06:17:05 pm »

a lot of people here feel that you are hypocrite, that's it... as noted it seems you have nothing against lack of democracy for as long as there is oil to sell  ;D

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2017, 08:46:16 pm »

This is an example of a potentially useful discussion that is degraded by political agenda and silly sniping.

Topic is locked
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 08:51:29 pm by Chris Sanderson »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up