Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Why not head to Cuba in 2017  (Read 9406 times)

algrove

Why not head to Cuba in 2017
« on: January 08, 2017, 05:58:23 pm »

No snow and nice temperatures. This is the Winter to head South.

Leica Q in Cuba

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2016/01/leica-q-cuba-louis-foubare/

CeeVee

Re: Why not head to Cuba in 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 06:34:54 pm »

Because its Cuba.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 08:44:08 pm »

Because its Cuba.

+1000

hogloff

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 08:53:04 am »

Because its Cuba.

Just got back from Cuba in December. I found the entire experience amazing, people, architecture, nature etc...

Too bad closed minds still exist these days.

hogloff

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 08:54:37 am »

Why not indeed.

You'll feel right at home with thousands of other photographers.

Really...i only saw one photo tour in my 3 weeks in Cuba. Can you elaborate on your statement.

Osprey

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 09:02:24 am »

You haven't noticed everyone and their brother has pictures of resting looking Cubans and their quaint older cars out there?  I hear there's a $5 USD, Vegan juice bar doing big business in a Havana. Rapidly approaching the shark jumping point.

hogloff

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 09:43:21 am »

You haven't noticed everyone and their brother has pictures of resting looking Cubans and their quaint older cars out there?  I hear there's a $5 USD, Vegan juice bar doing big business in a Havana. Rapidly approaching the shark jumping point.

You speaking from experience or ignorance. Like I said, I was there a month ago and found very few tourists away from the usual tourist areas. I lived with Cuban famalies and it was an amazing experience.

On second thought...yeh, way too many people needing to jostle your way through crowded streets. Best you stay away and leave the experience to those that can appreciate it.

speedyk

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 01:40:01 pm »

Nice shots! Cubans I know are pretty cool folks.

If you want to go somewhere a little different, this outfit runs small tours to outlying areas...http://www.jennicacuba.com/p/trips.html

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 07:17:30 pm »

Thanks Louis, for sharing your interesting images, and also for the tip about using the phone to trigger the shutter on the camera.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 07:37:42 pm »

Because its Cuba.

Such a wise answer.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 07:45:14 pm »

No snow and nice temperatures. This is the Winter to head South.

Because the relaxation of the travel restrictions (a good thing, overall) has led to a huge influx of tourists that has strained all their facilities. Because the tourist hotels and restaurants are buying up so much of their limited food production that many of the locals can no longer afford or even get basics such as beans, onions, and peppers. And because soon, photos of Cuba will become just as banal as photos of Antarctica and Iceland. 

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 08:55:29 pm »

Spoiled first-world-country citizens like the old cars, the frozen-in-time atmosphere and the simple life of the cubans like it were an amusement park because in the end, you will return to your country and don't have to live as they do.

As someone who has seen his own country being destroyed by becoming a Cuban ally and follow Cuban advice, it is a place I would not go, as I would not go to North Korea as well as I don't think the Colombian FARC rebels are nice people.

Because its Cuba.
Such a wise answer.

You don't even know how lucky you are that you cannot make sense of that phrase

Osprey

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 09:04:21 pm »

I've never seen people happier to see Americans, but I agree with the other person's sentiment on the  rapidly developing banality of the images coming from Cuba.

Spoiled first-world-country citizens like the old cars, the frozen-in-time atmosphere and the simple life of the cubans like it were an amusement park because in the end, you will return to your country and don't have to live as they do.

As someone who has seen his own country being destroyed by becoming a Cuban ally and follow Cuban advice, it is a place I would not go, as I would not go to North Korea as well as I don't think the Colombian FARC rebels are nice people.

You don't even know how lucky you are that you cannot make sense of that phrase

hogloff

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 09:13:57 pm »

I've never seen people happier to see Americans, but I agree with the other person's sentiment on the  rapidly developing banality of the images coming from Cuba.

Well tell me where on this earth that has not been photographed. We still see people photographing the National Parks,  New York City etc...

If you are tired of Cuban Images...what about the rest of the earth.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 12:01:35 am »

Because the relaxation of the travel restrictions (a good thing, overall) has led to a huge influx of tourists that has strained all their facilities. Because the tourist hotels and restaurants are buying up so much of their limited food production that many of the locals can no longer afford or even get basics such as beans, onions, and peppers. And because soon, photos of Cuba will become just as banal as photos of Antarctica and Iceland.

A very similar situation applies also to Churchill and surrounding areas in northern Manitoba. The influx of tourists coming to see the polar bears and beluga whales strains indeed all ther limited facilities, and the fresh vegetables are out for reach for most locals. And the photos of polar bears are becoming as numerous as photos of lions and owls.

jeremyrh

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 07:55:05 am »

On second thought...yeh, way too many people needing to jostle your way through crowded streets. Best you stay away and leave the experience to those that can appreciate it.

Yes, best stay away. It's a horrible place and you won't enjoy it at all. Nothing to see. Honestly.

jeremyrh

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 07:58:34 am »

I would not go to North Korea as well as I don't think the Colombian FARC rebels are nice people.
I'm no expert on these things - I even enjoyed my trip to Cuba - but I think I'm correct in thinking that there are not that many FARC rebels in North Korea.

Jus' sayin'

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 11:26:15 am »

Hell, I'm cuban and I find this funny.
:)

why not go the US...?

because there is a change you get trumped
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 07:12:24 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

adias

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 01:24:20 am »

I challenge those who find Cuba quaint, picturesque, etc., to actually go and live there for a while with the same income/resources/restrictions the oppressed Cuban people have. Americans always have a false sense of reality when they travel because either their stay well above the local norm or they know it is (for them) a temporary social experiment.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 02:31:37 am »

I think you just described tourism :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up