Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P800--Using USB cable during set up to avoid problems?  (Read 3344 times)

stevierose

Epson P800--Using USB cable during set up to avoid problems?
« on: January 08, 2017, 03:20:51 pm »

I just purchased a p800 printer. I watched the intro video about the p800 on Luminous Landscape and Jeff Schewe made a passing comment about his standard practice for setting up Epson printers is to first set them up using a USB cable and then switch the configuration to Wifi in order to avoid a problem with AirPrint drivers. I didn't really understand from the video what I'm supposed to do.  Can Jeff or someone else describe the steps to me?  thanks!

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Epson P800--Using USB cable during set up to avoid problems?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 03:34:57 pm »

I didn't really understand from the video what I'm supposed to do.  Can Jeff or someone else describe the steps to me?  thanks!

When I first install any print drivers, I always use the USB cable as the first connection method even if I will end up using ethernet or wifi later. The reason is that in general, print drivers are usually the most "simple" via usb and when you add additional complicating factors to the connection if can get confusing...

So, I hardwire the connection, download the most recent driver (not the CD that came with the printer), install the print driver (I'm on mac so I can't give the steps on windows), make sure I've selected the the proper driver version (never AirPrint for a pro printer) then do my printer alignment and run some actual prints to make sure every thing is working. Thereafter, I'll pick the connection method I want–usually ethernet–I only use wifi for my biz printer not photo printers and make sure everything on the new connection is working exactly like the original usb connection.

I con't remember when Epson started doing their AirPrint driver, but it screws up a lot of people. It's fine if you want to print from your iPhone or whatever (and we did the demo of printing from my phone) but I don't suggest that for normal real printing :~)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 04:46:35 pm »

The purpose of the Airprint driver as you know is to simplify printing for those using phones and tablets as the file source. It only screws people up because it loads as the default driver version UNLESS when installing the driver one has the savvy to know when and where to select the "Series" driver instead of the "Airprint" driver. As far as I'm concerned it's poor programming, and the same happens with the Canon driver by the way. Both of them should have a window that pops up only for that with a question phrased some such as: "Please select either the Airprint or the Series driver. Airprint is for printing from Phones and Tablets and offers reduced functionality". But alas they don't. It hung me up for an hour or two when I first started testing a P800, and this after using these Pro printers since year 2000 or so.

For the benefit of the OP - the Epson P800 Manual does a decent job of showing step-by-step how to establish WiFi connections.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

stevierose

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 05:45:25 pm »

Thanks to Jeff and Mark for the prompt responses. I appreciate it!

Steve

FrankStark

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 05:19:11 pm »

I just installed my P800 via USB (thinking of Jeff) but I don't remember the "series" question. It printed a test page ok. How do I know if I did it correctly and avoided the dreaded Airprint??

Thanks

F.
"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others."  David duChemin

FrankStark

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 05:35:13 pm »

Did some searching and found some advice. Would have been better to have done that first. Will look at the topic before asking again.
F.
"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others."  David duChemin
Pages: [1]   Go Up