Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On what do you print the Hahnemuhle Tin Photo Box cards?  (Read 4819 times)

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
On what do you print the Hahnemuhle Tin Photo Box cards?
« on: January 07, 2017, 03:01:23 pm »

Having seen Mark Segal and Kevin Raber's reviews of these cards, I picked up a box of the 4x6 inch versions. It seems the Canon Pro-1000 can't print them -- they're too thick for the rear feed, and too small for the manual rear feed. At least that's how I interpret the specs for the rear feed where the manual says the maximum paper thickness is 11.8 mil (0.3 mm) -- the Hahnemuhle papers are well over that. My two test prints both failed to print properly.

I suppose if I had more experience with this printer I would have known this limitation in advance, but it came as a surprise.

jrsforums

Re: On what do you print the Hahnemuhle Tin Photo Box cards?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 03:24:08 pm »

Can we assume you set the driver for thicker medium?
John

Damon Lynch

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 03:48:33 pm »

Can we assume you set the driver for thicker medium?
Hi John,

If you set the driver for a thicker medium it automatically selects the manual rear feed, which accepts only A4 or above. By contrast the rear tray minimum size is 3.50 x 5.0 inches, which is fine, but the paper thickness must be 0.1 to 0.3 mm, which is the problem. For instance the Photo Rag Bayta paper is 0.46 mm thick.

Damon

jkline

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 08:09:08 pm »

You'll have to decide if you want to try it, but I routinely feed Canson Rag Photographique and Aquarelle Rag 240 through the rear tray with no issues.  Both are 0.47mm.  (Note: I have never fed 4x6 paper.)

Last night, using the media configuration tool, I had to feed Aquarelle Rag 310 in the rear tray for the color calibration step (manual feed for this particular step was not an option).  It was difficult to get this 0.6mm paper to feed, but that was a one time action.

BTW, the reason I use the rear tray for the first two papers I mentioned is that I picked a base paper that allowed the rear tray.  I later found some doc online that suggests I should have used a different base.  I may redo that later, but the profiles are quite good—so I'm in no hurry.

jrsforums

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 09:34:16 pm »

Hi John,

If you set the driver for a thicker medium it automatically selects the manual rear feed, which accepts only A4 or above. By contrast the rear tray minimum size is 3.50 x 5.0 inches, which is fine, but the paper thickness must be 0.1 to 0.3 mm, which is the problem. For instance the Photo Rag Bayta paper is 0.46 mm thick.

Damon

I misspoke.  I meant 'Avoid Paper Abrasion'.  I had some thickish 5"x7" cards which misfed on the trailing edge.  Setting that allowed it to feed and print properly.
John

jkline

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 10:09:57 pm »

More on what I wrote above.  If you create a media type for this paper in the media configuration tool, choose lightweight photo paper as the base, but choose medium high head height in tab 3.  You will be able to use the paper in the rear tray.

Damon Lynch

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 12:14:10 am »

I misspoke.  I meant 'Avoid Paper Abrasion'.  I had some thickish 5"x7" cards which misfed on the trailing edge.  Setting that allowed it to feed and print properly.

Aha, that fixed the problem with the trailing edge of the photo being seriously out of alignment. Thanks! Hopefully the ink smudge marks on the print's leading edge will disappear soon, as they sure are ugly.

jrsforums

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 10:00:58 am »

Aha, that fixed the problem with the trailing edge of the photo being seriously out of alignment. Thanks! Hopefully the ink smudge marks on the print's leading edge will disappear soon, as they sure are ugly.
You may want to send some "cleaning sheets" of plain paper through.  With or without light Windex spraying. 
John

howardm

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 11:21:33 am »

More on what I wrote above.  If you create a media type for this paper in the media configuration tool, choose lightweight photo paper as the base, but choose medium high head height in tab 3.  You will be able to use the paper in the rear tray.

Have you (or any other -1000 owner) figured out what the real max thickness you can reliably get through the feed?  Can you get >0.5mm

wmeyers917

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 12:39:07 pm »

I printed the A5 size Hahnemuhle cards.
Hahnemuhle recommends you print out the template provided - see web address in the product info - onto a sheet of 8.5x11 inch paper. Then affix the card to this sheet within the outline, using double-sided tape. Then print using the rear sheet feeder. The card is printed borderless with slight runover onto the template sheet.
Once I figured out how to do this, it went smoothly - I printed 30 photos and all printed perfectly.
Good luck.

jkline

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 07:17:55 pm »

Have you (or any other -1000 owner) figured out what the real max thickness you can reliably get through the feed?  Can you get >0.5mm

Short answer—no.

0.47mm is 100% reliable for me.  0.6mm is *very* unreliable. I don't have paper in between those thicknesses.

Edit: 0.46 changed to 0.47
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:42:18 pm by jkline »

Damon Lynch

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 10:04:13 pm »

Hahnemuhle recommends you print out the template provided - see web address in the product info - onto a sheet of 8.5x11 inch paper. Then affix the card to this sheet within the outline, using double-sided tape. Then print using the rear sheet feeder. The card is printed borderless with slight runover onto the template sheet.

I looked at their website again, and sure enough, there are the instructions -- in "Englisch" no less. I'll give that a go. Thanks!

Tsutomu

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 08:11:12 am »

I, too, was intrigued by the video of this paper and the one on use of the Epson PM-400 for doing 4x6 and 5x7 photos which was made about the same time.

Has anyone printed using this combination? Can anyone offer thoughts on the use of this type of printer on this paper.  I think I could get the A5 paper and trim down slightly to get it to run through this printer.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Tsutomu

jkline

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 12:21:16 am »

I can answer this question now (with the dubious assumption that paper width is the sole factor in successful feeds).

I just tried Canson PaperMaKing Rag, which is 0.51 mm thick, and it does not feed without help.

howardm

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 07:12:13 am »

Thanks.  What exactly does 'help' mean in this context?  Pushing the end of the paper?  Using the other feed?

jkline

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 10:25:55 am »

Thanks.  What exactly does 'help' mean in this context?  Pushing the end of the paper?  Using the other feed?

I deliberately place the edge of the paper at the rollers and place my hand on the top of the paper when the vacuum fan comes on.  As to why I'm bothering when I could just use the manual feed; inexplicably, one cannot not use the manual feed for the color calibration step in Media Calibration Tool.

tastar

• http://www.tastarsupply.com
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 10:54:38 am »

We printed our holiday cards on 4 x 6 Hahnemuhle photo cards on an Epson SureColor P800 (about 150 cards, total) and also printed a few of their 5.8 x 8.3 inch cards as well. We used the rear feeder and printed borderless and all worked without issue, feeding one card at a time. We tried printing with borders, but found that the position varied a little from card to card, and that square borders didn't look good on the round corner cards.

Tony
Pages: [1]   Go Up